19663_244470726282_513871282_380771.jpg

Punto (Mk1) Michaels Mk1 thread!

Introduction

Well people ive had the punto for about a month now and i think its time to start a progress thread! :D

Its a 96' 1.1 55 sx

The day after i got the car, totaly bog standard:
19663_244470726282_513871282_380771.jpg

Ive then did the following to the car in a 1 week period:

New OSF wishbone arm
New oil sump cover
New spark plugs
new air filter
Full oil change
New oil filter
New rear Wiper
New xenon look brighter headlights
New rocker cover gasket

Purchased but still to go on:

Wheel Cylinder
New discs and pads all round

The next photo is an older photo for my last car, but all the same gear has now gone into the punto!:
SNC00121.jpg

I have the sony xplods in the back with the originals in the front (which will be getting replaced soon) with a vibe sub in the boot, which i bought not knowing anything about it so i e-mailed vibe themselves who also said they werent sure but they would guess it is 350watts,honestly i think its alot more than that! All is linked up to and alpine headunit with ipod connectivity! lol

Pic of the beat(best pic i have unfortunately):

SNC00089.jpg

I then picked up some clear indicators and a nice set of Wolfrace Octanes 15"x6.5" thanks to DJ_Substance (y)

The new wheels provide so much more grip :)..... and alot heavier steering,it also likes to stear itself in random directions whenever i hit a bump!

Recieved the wheels yesterday, compared to the original steelies:

SNC00348.jpg
SNC00349.jpg

Before:

SNC00346.jpg

And after:
SNC00353.jpg
SNC00354.jpg

The only other plans i have for it is to get the bumpers colour coded and get it lowered 40mm :D

All feedback welcome,good or bad.
well tbh, your car isn't exactly new and will have faded a bit by now, even painting with the right shade will probably be slightly different.

Personally i wouldn't be to bothered about the bumper right now, quite like the plastic bumpers esspecially on a lowered car

well tbh, your car isn't exactly new and will have faded a bit by now, even painting with the right shade will probably be slightly different.

Personally i wouldn't be to bothered about the bumper right now, quite like the plastic bumpers esspecially on a lowered car

The one thing i will say is that the bumpers do go with the rims quite nicely :D

Im trying to wait for the lowering untill i have a job again,as i will have to inform insurance etc...

Another wee update:

De-badged the sides

Before:

SNC00010.jpg

And After:
SNC00011.jpg

Also de-wipered the rear a while back:

SNC00012.jpg

And how she stands now,minus the side badges:

SNC00005.jpg

Next up is hopefully:

Exhaust system
75 Downpipe
75 Manifold
75 Throttle Bodie
Induction Kit
Lowering Springs

Thats if all of the above will work well with my McKrich chip???

Last edited by a moderator:
how is lowered springs and shortened shocks not at the top of that list? would improve it so much more than anything else, probably in real world be faster than with the engine upgrades. Besides, everyone knows suspension and brakes before engine tuning, that just seems obvious to me..

Car is nice though mate, nice to see a mk1 thats not been mutilated by some 17 year old chav.

Last edited:
how is lowered springs and shortened shocks not at the top of that list? would improve it so much more than anything else, probably in real world be faster than with the engine upgrades. Besides, everyone knows suspension and brakes before engine tuning, that just seems obvious to me..

Car is nice though mate, nice to see a mk1 thats not been mutilated by some 17 year old chav.

Thanks!

Ive heard 40mm is the best all round to lower the car in terms of handling, i also know that this is about the lowest you can go safely without shortened shocks BUT this being a 14 year old car i think it would be best to replace the shocks aswell.

But now my question is this,if i were to get the shocks aswell ofcourse i could go lower than 40mm,but should i?

its upto you mate.. What are the road around you like? If you got the money for adjustable shocks then they are well worth it. My sei runs a 40mm drop all round with adjustable SPAX dampers. I have them set pretty soft and it drives almost as smooth as a standard car, can quickly with a few turns have it all tight and stiff which makes it much better round the corners but isn't really necessary on the road. If you get fixed dampers you tend to find they are set in a stiff sports setting which is good for driving fast but annoys me during normal driving around, perhaps i am just getting old though. I wouldn't go lower than 40mm personaly but people do and it looks awesome but shouldn't think it'll go round a corner any faster than a 40mm drop, i have hit my sump once but generally its not a problem as long as your careful on the speed bumps and steep driveways. I have no knowledge of lowering punto's so i'm not really of any help tbh.

Last edited:
nearly all mk1 punto's i see around here look rough and chavv'd with 16's or 17s.. Think 15's suit it personally, the huge gap between them and the arches makes them look smaller though, which i think is kinda what he ment, if lowered they would look bigger as they look 'lost' in all the space. Made me laugh out loud also.

Back