MES Connection Help - Please

Currently reading:
MES Connection Help - Please

Spatch1969

OK, I have just bought a second hand ABS Pump module for our x250 2012 motorhome.

I have downloaded the free version of MES but cant seem to connect. I am running Win11 x64. MES has installed and runs.

The problem I have is that MES wont see the interface. I have an Ethernet to OBD connector cable, and a USB-C to Ethernet adaptor cable. Looking at Device Manager on the laptop, the USB to Ethernet cable is in COM4. When I run the scan for interfaces on MES, it doesnt see it. When I force Interface 1 to COM4 it says it doesnt exist. :rolleyes:

Is this a COM assignment issue, or is it a cable issue?

For info, I used the Ethernet to OBD port cable successfully on my X3 some years ago (the X3 is 1 year newer than the motorhome), so I assume the cable should be compatible? Also, I havent purchased any special cables from here yet: http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

I would be very very grateful for any pointers here as I need to get MES working to allow me to prime the ABS module.

Thanks & Cheers,

I don't understand!

With MES you need either a KKL, ELM or OBDLINK interface. All of these are USB devices. You just plug the interface USB cable into a USB port. You do not need an Ethernet to OBD or USB-C to Ethernet cables/interfaces.

What interface (KKL, ELM, etc do you have? A link to what you purchased would be helpful.

I don't understand!

With MES you need either a KKL, ELM or OBDLINK interface. All of these are USB devices. You just plug the interface USB cable into a USB port. You do not need an Ethernet to OBD or USB-C to Ethernet cables/interfaces.

What interface (KKL, ELM, etc do you have? A link to what you purchased would be helpful.
The OBD cable I have is ethernet to OBD connector. I used this on an older laptop (which had a built in ethernet connection) to program my X3.

I was hoping to use the same cable, with the USB-C adaptor (as my new laptop doesnt have a built in ethernet connection), to allow me to connect to the Ducato. Perhaps that isnt the way forward..... Perhaps I need to get a new cable?

I don't understand!

Hi S130,

The MES website states these cables for our Ducato:

Bosch EDC16C39 CF4/EOBD Diesel Injection (2.3, 3.0) |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| KL ELM
Bosch ABS 8 |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| KL ELM A1 P1
Bosch ABS 8 ASR |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| KL ELM A1 P1
Bosch ABS 8 VDC |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| KL ELM A1 P1
TRW Airbag |INFO|DTC| ELM
TRW Airbag 2 (Ep - PROXI) |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT| ELM
SAGEM Power Steering |INFO|DTC|PRM| KL ELM A1 P12
Service Interval Reset |INFO|ADJ| ELM
Convergence Lauberhorn C1 (Blue&Me Nav) |INFO|DTC| ELM
Convergence Marelli/Microsoft (Blue&Me) |INFO|DTC| ELM
Convergence Marelli/Microsoft C3 (Blue&Me Nav) |INFO|DTC| ELM
Instrument Panel Marelli |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Body Computer Marelli (250) |INFO|DTC|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
CAN Info |INFO| ELM
CAN Setup / PROXI Alignment Procedure |INFO|ADJ| ELM
Denso climate control (Single zone) |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Air suspension control Continental |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Parking control Bosch |INFO|DTC|PRM|ADJ| ELM

Looks to me that the ELM interface does everything on the vehicle, so this would appear to be the best cable to get?
It also lists adaptors A1 and P1 for connecting to the ABS unit. Do I need to get both, or one or the other?
Please would you advise what I need to get.

Many thanks, its much appreciated.

ELM should work OK but I prefer OBDLINK.

HOWEVER I stress caution in your choice of ELM devices. Personally I would stick to the UK GENDAN recommended distributors of approved/working ELM interfaces. There are many so called ELM devices out there, many cheap Chinese clones and many just do not work. By from Gendan and they will support you as well.

As for cable adapters you will need any of the specified adapters A1, P1, P12 if you wish to connect to those control units. For the cost involved you might as well purchase a complete set as it is cheaper than buying individual ones one at a time.

Thanks S130.

I have been looking at Gendan, as they seem highly recommended. They do a package with all the A adaptors plus both interface cables. Like you say, its good value....and I cant be messing around, I need to get it fixed.

So I am curious, why do they have A1 and P1 adaptors when they do the same thing, and why have the ELM and OBD interfaces, when ELM seems to cover all options??

Cheers.

Actually there is no P1 adapter as such. P1 is for KKL interfaces where people either modified themselves by linking Pin 7 to Pin 1 OR put a switch in to do the same. This was easy for KKL as there was only the one signal line always on Pin 7.

With ELM that supports CAN (Lo & Hi) etc. then things became more complicated. One could buy the more expensive CANtieCAR multiplexer (ideal for garages) or the ready made (or make yourself) adapter cables.

The cables A1 - A6 do the relevant linking/swopping.

For cases where KKL and ELM are mentioned then it is a little more complicated.

ELM327 supports the following protocols:
  • SAE J1850 PWM (41.6 kbit/s)
  • SAE J1850 VPW (10.4 kbit/s)
  • ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init, 10.4 kbit/s)
  • ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10.4 kbit/s)
  • ISO 14230-4 KWP (fast init, 10.4 kbit/s)
  • ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 kbit/s)
  • ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 500 kbit/s)
  • ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 250 kbit/s)
  • ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 250 kbit/s)
  • SAE J1939 (250kbit/s)
  • SAE J1939 (500kbit/s)
KKL supports:
  • ISO 9141-2
  • ISO 14230-4
  • KWP2000
So KKL support also the OLD KWP2000 protocol. You will see in the MES Supported Vehicles list that for some vehicles and control units (e.g. Barchetta ABS, Airbag, ..) only KKL will work.

In your Ducato case you should not need the KKL interface and ELM+cables is all you need. HOWEVER I have a distant recollection that some people have found on some control units that whilst ELM should work they needed KKL.

Personally for the small extra cost of a KKL interface getting the complete set is a good thing because *IF* for any reason on your Ducato you do need KKL then you are already equipped with no further delays.

Actually there is no P1 adapter as such. P1 is for KKL interfaces where people either modified themselves by linking Pin 7 to Pin 1 OR put a switch in to do the same. This was easy for KKL as there was only the one signal line always on Pin 7.

With ELM that supports CAN (Lo & Hi) etc. then things became more complicated. One could buy the more expensive CANtieCAR multiplexer (ideal for garages) or the ready made (or make yourself) adapter cables.

The cables A1 - A6 do the relevant linking/swopping.

For cases where KKL and ELM are mentioned then it is a little more complicated.

ELM327 supports the following protocols:
  • SAE J1850 PWM (41.6 kbit/s)
  • SAE J1850 VPW (10.4 kbit/s)
  • ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init, 10.4 kbit/s)
  • ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10.4 kbit/s)
  • ISO 14230-4 KWP (fast init, 10.4 kbit/s)
  • ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 kbit/s)
  • ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 500 kbit/s)
  • ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 250 kbit/s)
  • ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 250 kbit/s)
  • SAE J1939 (250kbit/s)
  • SAE J1939 (500kbit/s)
KKL supports:
  • ISO 9141-2
  • ISO 14230-4
  • KWP2000
So KKL support also the OLD KWP2000 protocol. You will see in the MES Supported Vehicles list that for some vehicles and control units (e.g. Barchetta ABS, Airbag, ..) only KKL will work.

In your Ducato case you should not need the KKL interface and ELM+cables is all you need. HOWEVER I have a distant recollection that some people have found on some control units that whilst ELM should work they needed KKL.

Personally for the small extra cost of a KKL interface getting the complete set is a good thing because *IF* for any reason on your Ducato you do need KKL then you are already equipped with no further delays.
Thanks s130. I bought the package from Gendan. All works OK. Only initial issue was that according to MES, my vehicle has a Bosch 8 ABS unit, and it wouldnt connect. I did a vehicle scan and it said that it was actually a Bosch 9 unit (ie the same as a Facelift model but mine is not a Facelift model). It connected fine when I has MES set to a Facelift/Bosch 9 unit. Happy days. :cool:

Glad you figured it out.. (y)

I tend to scan now , then make a note of what it actually finds on the vehicle
(To speed up connection at service time )
Thanks, its been a steep learning curve. :D

Dont suppose you happen to know the following please:

On the MES Adjustments page for the ABS (Bosch 9 unit), it says that the "lateral and longitudinal accelerator sensors should be calibrated if the ABS unit has been replaced" This is done via MES. All it says is that the vehicle must be on flat ground, stationary with wheels straight ahead. Does anyone know what this recal entails? Does it just do it itself, or is there any input required from me, or additional equipment needed, to perform the procedure?

On the MES Adjustments page for the ABS (Bosch 9 unit), it says that the "lateral and longitudinal accelerator sensors should be calibrated if the ABS unit has been replaced" This is done via MES. All it says is that the vehicle must be on flat ground, stationary with wheels straight ahead. Does anyone know what this recal entails? Does it just do it itself, or is there any input required from me, or additional equipment needed, to perform the procedure?

I responded to the other thread..

Fiat have used the ABS to drive an

Electronic Stability Program..ESP

for @15 years

I believe the latest Ducato has MORE !!

SIDEWIND Got a mention last week.

Somebody on here will know more :)

I don't think there is anything fancy you have todo.

I'm assuming that the lateral & longitudinal sense when station produce a signal voltage of X (never 0.00V unless you are lucky). This will vary to X+N or X-Y with +ve and -ve G. However whilst the curve may be linear the sensors in every car will have a nominal X value so the ABS unit has to "learn" this X value for each sensor. Hence car level and *stationary*. Steering also plays a part so the straight ahead signal has to be learnt.

MES will test the ABS unit to measure those different X values which the ABS unit will store away for it's own personal use.

I'm assuming that the lateral & longitudinal sense when station produce a signal voltage of X (never 0.00V unless you are lucky). This will vary to X+N or X-Y with +ve and -ve G. However whilst the curve may be linear the sensors in every car will have a nominal X value so the ABS unit has to "learn" this X value for each sensor. Hence car level and *stationary*. Steering also plays a part so the straight ahead signal has to be learnt.

MES will test the ABS unit to measure those different X values which the ABS unit will store away for it's own personal use.
Thanks, I will give ot a go.

Cheers.

s130, I have tried this and it comes up with the error:

Failed To Execute
Request Out Of Range Error

Any ideas please?

Hi s130,

Any ideas on the errors I am seeing above please?

Cheers.

Out of range.. means it cannot communicate with it..
rather than a statement of too high..or low
Thats is my experience of the MES saying out of range

So..when it scans the vehicle for modules.. what is listed?
(Are you looking for something that isnt there to be found)

Out of range.. means it cannot communicate with it..
rather than a statement of too high..or low
Thats is my experience of the MES saying out of range

So..when it scans the vehicle for modules.. what is listed?
(Are you looking for something that isnt there to be found)
OK, thanks.

Thats odd as the suggestion to recal the longitudinal and lateral sensors in on the Adjustments page (MES) of the Bosch ABS module, ie I am already on the module so I dont see why it wouldnt be there?

Also, my vehicle is setup and listed (via MES) as having a gasoline engine and a selespeed gearbox, whereas it is diesel and manual?????

Also, my vehicle is setup and listed (via MES) as having a gasoline engine and a selespeed gearbox, whereas it is diesel and manual?????
Not sure I understand what you are saying. MES does not automatically choose your vehicle. You have to manually choose your vehicle so if you are diesel with manual box then you should not be using gasoline & selespeed.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. MES does not automatically choose your vehicle. You have to manually choose your vehicle so if you are diesel with manual box then you should not be using gasoline & selespeed.
I have chosen the correct vehicle from the list on MES.

However, when I go into proxy alignment (and MES says all is aligned) the engine is listed as gasoline and gearbox as selespeed. I would have assumed these settings should reflect the vehicle??

Back