General M32 Gearbox in t-jet 150

Currently reading:
General M32 Gearbox in t-jet 150

Ok, that is more likely.
So while they were in gearbox, those bearings were complete, no damages like those in pictures?

Yes, that's correct. Bearing NP854792 (Fiat 55574107) on first photo has bigger gap than bearing on the second photo.
But originally they were Timken, so best quality that you can buy for gearbox, and they still are no good.
And replacing them with the same quality :confused:

My only hope is that Fiat replace old one with new one with reason.
OLD___________NEW
55188083 -> 55574107

Thank you for the reply!
so Castrol says that the API GL 4+ rating is ok for this gearbox?
I thought that GL 4+ was somehow not as good as GL 4.. time to do more digging

Last edited:
Yes, I'm also confused.

For this reason I didn't chagne anything. I have to collect more information before make a decision.

This what the Product Data sheet for Castrol Syntrans Transaxle says:
Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90 is a full synthetic 75W-90 gear oil designed to provide enhanced EP performance
compared with a conventional GL-4 fluid in combination with synchroniser compatibility; it is approved against VW 505.50
and is suitable for use in transaxles, manual gearboxes, transfer boxes and final drives where an API GL4 lubricant is specified

So it is ok for use in GL 4 transmissions.

Just remembered I never showed the difference between the colours of the oil (old vs new). The left oil in the tray is what came out of the gearbox and the one of the right is the Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75W-80. Now whether the original fluid colour was anything like the Fuchs, I have no idea but makes you wonder if the gearbox affects the oil quickly.

Attachments

• 20140512_122316037_iOS.jpg
    20140512_122316037_iOS.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
Just remembered I never showed the difference between the colours of the oil (old vs new). The left oil in the tray is what came out of the gearbox and the one of the right is the Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75W-80. Now whether the original fluid colour was anything like the Fuchs, I have no idea but makes you wonder if the gearbox affects the oil quickly.

Why did you put API GL-5?

Matryx oil is red.

Why did you put API GL-5?

Recommended by Autolusso and Opie Oils for M32 boxes (specifically the sintofluid). Looks like its a common choice on the Vauxhalls and Alfas too.

Apparently the extra addictive etc in it are safe for a GL4 application.

I think given the flakey nature of the box, you take your chances by having it and take your chances by what oil you use. One of them really.

My M32 on a bravo tjet150 doesnt engage first some times.. I have to let the cluch in Neutral and then it engages 1st. Is that any sighn of problematic m32? I have 100000km on it and changed the gearbox oil by schedule(NEVER).

My M32 on a bravo tjet150 doesnt engage first some times.. I have to let the cluch in Neutral and then it engages 1st. Is that any sighn of problematic m32? I have 100000km on it and changed the gearbox oil by schedule(NEVER).

That can happen with any gearbox, so it's not specific for the M32.
I've had it happen in all my prevous cars (except the Lancia Ypsilon, but that was because it was a dualogic).

Can I just say my 2008 T-Jet 150 has done 54k miles and I've had no problems with the gearbox.

Little update as it were...

I had some movement in 1st gear and in 5th when coming off the clutch (as in the gear lever would move towards neutral). No whining, no other symptoms. Car was on 46,800 miles.

In short, the top bearing was at a very early stage of failing so I took the car to WG Motorworks in Sheppey today where Warren inspected it all. I opted to replace the bottom bearings despite not having any issues as although they looked ok, there was really minor wear marks/dulling - as Warren said they could last 20k, could last 60k, who knows. So me being me, I said replace them as well - I would rather be safe than have to come back to take it all apart again.

Having driven the car home, the movement has gone in 1st and 5th. Feels good to me so hopefully that should keep Suzi going for a fair few years before any more attention is needed down there.

Pics attached :)

Attachments

• DSC_0098 1.jpg
    DSC_0098 1.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 936
  • DSC_0099 1.jpg
    DSC_0099 1.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSC_0101 1.jpg
    DSC_0101 1.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • DSC_0100 2.jpg
    DSC_0100 2.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 888
Before I forget, I asked Warren how many gearboxes (M32) he had done and how many came back with same issue.... over 600 boxes done, only 2 returned as bottom bearings weren't done and failed. He mainly deals with Vauxhalls and doesn't exactly do loads of Fiats but ultimately the box is the same - and although I'm sure there's more Vauxhalls out there than Fiats in the UK, its still a scary statistic.

Hi there guys, my 2010 T-Jet 120 just turned 110k miles and the bearings have to be replaced. My mechanic gave me a quote of 700€ for 4 gearbox bearings replacement with all necessary tools and work. I'm from Slovenia.

Back