General Fiat bravo t-jet 150 blue smoke and oil consumption

Currently reading:
General Fiat bravo t-jet 150 blue smoke and oil consumption

Hi everyone,

My partner drives a fiat bravo t-jet 150 sport and have owned it for the best part of 7 years. It's currently sitting at 115k.

The problem;

When holding the car back on engine braking down a hill or deaccelerating, so once stopped ready to pull off, the car will stutter, hesitate and boost dumping then a big plume of blue smoke will cloud the road like as if the car is choked, then the car drives fine till the next time.

Also noticed that there is a lot of oil consumption.

Couple years ago the car starting missing and found the spark in cylinder 4 was dead, so replaced the plugs and within a couple months cylinder 4 spark plug went dead again which was odd. Replaced again and hasn't died since and still running fine.

Diagnosing the problem (what I've done so far);

Start the car from cold no smoke runs sweet, start the car from hot no smoke runs sweet,
Changed the oil separator valve (black box) as from what I've read seemed suspicious,
Oil change.
The turbocharger (VL36) boosts up strong no smoke.
Ran a diagnostics and no faults.

From what I've researched;
If the pistons rings are gone it will smoke all the time,
If the valve oil seals are gone it will smoke of start up,
Turbo seals gone possibly smokes all the time?
If I'm wrong then please correct me, this just seems a mystery to me as the car starts and drives smoothly but has this issue with random stutters and plumimg blue smoke with oil consumption.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

The mechanics joke about those symptoms are, "story of my life pissed and broke/piston broke".;)
However re your engine , first if engine ticking over and you remove the oil filler cap and there is a lot of "drumming/breathing" from the engine coupled with high oil consumption and blue smoke plus maybe if you remove the spark plugs and examine them, one or more may have a build up/deposit on them it points in that direction.
To confirm properly I would do a "leak test", in simple terms you pressurise each cylinder in turn and check for loss of pressure, if done correctly it will tell you exactly what the cause is, but isn't a five minute job.
From your symptoms I would suspect worn bores and pistons, in the past I have honed the bores and fitted new piston rings, but given the labour involved would probably advise an engine rebuild / recondition, so not a cheap job unfortunately.:(

this is definitly 1 of 2 things, blocked air/oil separator,give it a clean or buy a new 1 for around £60ish or a vacuum leek. oil consumption issue due to blowing it out the back, embarrassing isn't it. oil consumption should sort itself out when issue is fixed,if not then check for any oil leeks best place to check for oil leeks is the gasket between the oil/coolant heater exchange,or play on the turbo spindle. you will want give to your spark plugs a going over with a wire brush,and check the gaps while your at it. 0.70-0.80 of a mm i think. Hope this helps my friend

Last edited:
If the air/oil separator is blocked, oil may enter the combustion chamber, causing blue smoke and oil consumption.

Sorry it's been awhile, here's what I've done so far.

Done a compression test;
Cylinder 1,2 & 3 175 psi and cylinder 4 200 psi.

Found oil around oil separator valve cap so striped pipe work from the oil separator valve and found oil in the pipe which leads to the turbo intake pipe. Turbo intake pipe has oil running back to the air filter and presumably the turbo.

I'm assuming with what I've found, a new separator valve is in need or perhaps remove separator valve for a oil catch can.

Attachments

• IMG20240224174228.jpg
    IMG20240224174228.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG20240224174000.jpg
    IMG20240224174000.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG20240224173909.jpg
    IMG20240224173909.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG20240224173857.jpg
    IMG20240224173857.jpg