Technical Low Mpg and top speed

Currently reading:
Technical Low Mpg and top speed

vamppir8

Hi been reading through threads and advice has been take to dealer, don't do it! Just spent 350 quid on service and "diagnostic" (130 quid to look at codes that bloke down rd did for 20 quid and were clear anyway...)
Came back with list of works, oil seal sump 444 quid... 2 drops a week, radiator leak 361 I can't find it, never topped up. Throttle body seal missing and breather pipe perished 126 quid. And they couldn't find problem....

Went to quick fit, your exhaust has gone, gave it a tap, like a box of nails, not even 2 years old. 320 for new exhaust, goes like rocket now, job to not wheelspin.

Problem is still not any top end, flat at 70, used to do 80 no bother.

Question, would the missing throttle seal make any difference? No idea how long it's been missing. Dropped out along the way in one workshop or other.

Had same problem 6 months ago, culminated in missfire and a tow. Replacement coil and all good for 3 months, then this started again. I replaced the other coil and no improvement hence took to fiat. I put a lucas one on, no idea what one garage put on.

Could a chepo coil be problem? I could still swap old working one out.

Just live with poor petrol consumption till it finally dies? Miss not having to look at petrol gauge one month to the next :(

Cheers all.

Exhaust are less than £50 parts trade and less than 1/2H labour was £320 that for a catalyst?

£130 to read the code
Sump but no leak
Radiator but not topping up
Could go on but it doesn't help

I beleive you have a 2010 1.1 eco with two coils

The seal if above the throttle body and the breather do not cause any running issue

Kind of don't trust any thing you are being told

I think we need to start a fresh

First of coils rarely go on there own, Spark plugs or HT lead are the usual cause, but I am not confident that was the original cause

Will it be going to a garage to fix or are you willing to try yourself.

Any engine check lights when failing I know there were no codes read

I haven't driven the 1.1 too much past 55mph the 1.2 tops out around 99 on the spedo it will not quite make the ton unless down hill

Not going past 70 isn't right and needs sorting asap

Small easy fixable problems tends to go worse if left

1) Low end power good
2) Top end power bad
3) Poor fuel consumption

The only thing that I can think of at the moment that would connect all three, assuming they are connected, would is a restricted cat

Not so easy to do a quick test at home

I would take the pre cat O2 sensor out and take it for a test drive, but it not alway easy to remove without either a blow torch or impact or both

A garage can do a pressure test

Heat can be diagnostic but isn't always conclusive

Does it definitely get up to normal temperature? Our 1.1 Active Eco suddenly went gutless and seriously uneconomical, simply because the thermostat started playing up. Seemed to affect it even more than the 1.2s - maybe because it has less power to begin with?

Clogged air filter would have little effect at low revs but more of an effect the more the demand for air increased as the revs rise

Nearly suggested this originally but dismissed it as the car has just been serviced

But now having doubts about what been carried out

Back