General Looking to buy JTD115

Currently reading:
General Looking to buy JTD115

You could always add steering wheel audio controls, I am thinking of adding them to my JTD dynamic Multiwagon when I get the bits

Have got the bits today, the steering wheel, the clockspring complete with stalks including cruise control although that I intend to remove. I have been told it is a fairly straightforward job but I am possibly going to farm this job out mainly because I do not fancy messing with the airbag

I've seen one for quite cheap, however they said they're selling it on someone's behalf because they were of european background and emmigrated back there now, you can prolly find the advert on Auto Trader, what checks should I do other than the HPI one to ensure that its fully legit? It's got full service history, part dealer, part national trades and seems okay.

I don't know how to edit my message, so I've just got to post another one.

The advert is for £1600 on Auto Trader, the gent that's selling it is in Birmingham. The only thing I'm worried about, is regarding him selling it on behalf of this woman who has gone back to Europe, he said she tried advertising and selling it for £2700 4 months ago, but didn't get any calls regarding it, so they've dropped the price down to this to sell it off. I spoke to the RAC HPI people who said they can check whether it's stolen or not, but if it's not been reported stolen yet, whether the owner is on holiday or for whatever reason, then they won't have anything on that as obviously it won't be reported yet. It however, has all the MOT's over the years, full documented service history through the years as well.

I'm thinking it's good, for a 1.9 JTD dynamic, but am just worried over the ownership and sale bit. The person from the RAC said trade members were allowed to leave the car registered in the previous owners name without taking ownership, but for private sellers, although it's not illegal, they should fill the V5 log book to the new owners name, but I can see people avoiding that to minimize the registered keepers.

What are your thoughts?

If the log book was in the sellers name, I would have gone to look and probably purchased it by now, however just thinking about this now, I'm just a bit weary.

Edited to add:

I've just come off the phone to the police (non emergencies) and the DVLA who both confirmed there is no police interest in this vehicle, which the HPI check would just go further in depth with (should there be police interest), so that's quite good as it'd mean it's not been reported stolen ...yet, lol. ahhh, I'm just being paranoid.

Last edited:
If full service history is provided plus the V5C certificate then you should be fairly safe. Just make sure this guy has permission to sell the car.

I'd demand to phone her and make sure her details match the V5C. In case it's a set-up then throw in a question about the JTD which should easily catch her out if she's never seen the car. That's assuming her English is reasonable :)

The advert is for £1600 on Auto Trader.

That is well cheap for a JTD.

mine is up for sale at £3250. its a 3 door JTD 115 with skyroof and satnav. its also lowered with uprated springs and shocks.

ad in the classifides will be up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is well cheap for a JTD.

mine is up for sale at £3250. its a 3 door JTD 115 with skyroof and satnav. its also lowered with uprated springs and shocks.

ad in the classifides will be up soon.

You decided to give up on the JTD then :(

i just fancy an automatic. so if the jtd gets decent money then i'll get an abarth, if not then she stays. love her too much tho, so im still not sure

The advert is for £1600 on Auto Trader, the gent that's selling it is in Birmingham. The only thing I'm worried about, is regarding him selling it on behalf of this woman who has gone back to Europe, he said she tried advertising and selling it for £2700 4 months ago, but didn't get any calls regarding it, so they've dropped the price down to this to sell it off. I spoke to the RAC HPI people who said they can check whether it's stolen or not, but if it's not been reported stolen yet, whether the owner is on holiday or for whatever reason, then they won't have anything on that as obviously it won't be reported yet. It however, has all the MOT's over the years, full documented service history through the years as well.

I'm thinking it's good, for a 1.9 JTD dynamic, but am just worried over the ownership and sale bit. The person from the RAC said trade members were allowed to leave the car registered in the previous owners name without taking ownership, but for private sellers, although it's not illegal, they should fill the V5 log book to the new owners name, but I can see people avoiding that to minimize the registered keepers.

Is it a silver/light grey 5 door Dynamic? If it is then im pretty sure i remember seeing it on autotrader a few weeks back saying 'sale as returning to poland' or something similar. I then saw it on autotrader again this week & thought 'i recognise that reg number'. Im sure if it is the one im thinking then it was for sale on there as a private sale a little while ago, so this guy in Birmingham is therefore probably completely genuine. Especially if the police & DVLA have no interest in the car and it clears a HPI check.

Just for your info.
The 115 bhp engine number contains A1 (192 Ai ---)
The 80 bhp engine contains number A3 (192 A3 ---)
So just look at the log book.
Hope this helps

Is it a silver/light grey 5 door Dynamic? If it is then im pretty sure i remember seeing it on autotrader a few weeks back saying 'sale as returning to poland' or something similar. I then saw it on autotrader again this week & thought 'i recognise that reg number'. Im sure if it is the one im thinking then it was for sale on there as a private sale a little while ago, so this guy in Birmingham is therefore probably completely genuine. Especially if the police & DVLA have no interest in the car and it clears a HPI check.

They have since stopped responding to phone calls so I'm starting to lose interest in it. The back looks more square than others I've seen on this one, and it had no alloy wheels but it certainly was cheap for a JTD. Back to finding another Stilo then, lol. I've seen a red one on Auto Trader that comes with the controls on the steering wheel (a major necessity for me) which I will keep my eyes on.

Thanks for all the support on this so far everyone!

Hi, I'm currently looking into purchasing a Stilo but just need some help on choosing the model trim, I've been lookin through websites to see what comes standard on the most basic model and the only additional thing I need on top of the standard, is the audio controls on the steering wheel, which I thought was only available on the sporting models but have seen some dynamics with them as well listed on Auto Trader so I was just a little confused...

I'm looking for a 1.9 JTD (but not the 80bhp) (I figured the Multijet models are still a bit pricey at the moment as I'd lose a lot through depreciation on re-sell in a year or twos time) but can't figure out how to find out whether it's the lower bhp model or the higher ones as well.

Oh yeah, another small thing I was wanting on the Stilo, was the new badge on the rear of the car instead of the old Fiat blocks, I'm only assuming they updated the rear badge to reflect the new Fiat badge from a certain year onwards?

I've currently got an MG F 1.8vvc and just thought I could do with a diesel for the good fuel economy, I placed a deposit on an SRI 1.9 cdti 150ps Vauxhall Astra 05 on Friday but pulled out on Saturday after seeing the Stilo providing better value for money for the level of equipment you get, I also looked into the Mazda 3 but they are more scarce than the Stilo it seems.

Edited to add: Does the trip computer tell you an immediate MPG return? or does it just return the overall average until reset otherwise? I know on the lower Vauxhall Astra trims, you could only see the overall MPG whereas the higher trims could tell you its immediate MPG return as well.

And finally the key needs to be a flip key... I couldn't find out whether that was standard or not on all models...
Just to answer a few questions, My JTD MW is the Dynamic and has the audio controls on the steering wheel, includes MP3 audio as well, the trip computer gives Average MPG and instant MPG in both trips 'A' & 'B' so you can drive economically if wanted, mine returns on average around 52MPG but as been as low as 43MPG when pushed really hard doing over 120mph in places, mine as remote flip key which also opens boot only remotely which you can turn on or off within the mode computer, like any car there are faults, I don't think its the most comfortable or the quietest but it is quicker in comparison to the Mondeo/Vectra, the JTD can be chipped easily to produce more power over 150bhp if required. you can pickup a fair Stilo JTD for around 21/2 to 3 grand but make sure it has history. all the best.

Good uck with the search Nugget - late JTD's are vastly underated, and very cheap as a result.

Nugget if your still looking for a JTD i have mine up for sale. 3 door with full leather, parking sensors, cd changer etc. £2500, in the classified section. Has a new cambelt and four new tyres.

The JTD's are excellent, good luck with your hunt!

Okay, I thought I'd bring this thread to life after a quarter of a year.

I'm hoping to pick up a Stilo this week sometime, I missed an opportunity last week for 1 in Bolton that was dynamic with decent 17" alloys for around £2100, it looked quite tidy however had large gaps in service history.

I'm prepared to spend up to and around £2800 but I don't want to spend too much more else I'd end up looking for the Alfa 147s' instead.

Normally, I'd take time buying and waiting for a decent one to appear on Auto Trader or something but I inadvertently smashed my own car up last week so thought it was definately time to get a replacement before people look at my car and think I'm a bad driver, lol.

The 80 bhp engine number contains the number a3 the 115 bhp is a1 just look at the reg. doc.
So you will see something like192a1--- this will be the 115bhp.
The trip computer does instant mpg, trip average and overall average.
Think the flip key is standard.
Good luck.

Just for your info.
The 115 bhp engine number contains A1 (192 Ai ---)
The 80 bhp engine contains number A3 (192 A3 ---)
So just look at the log book.
Hope this helps

The 80 bhp engine number contains the number a3 the 115 bhp is a1 just look at the reg. doc.
So you will see something like192a1--- this will be the 115bhp.
The trip computer does instant mpg, trip average and overall average.
Think the flip key is standard.
Good luck.

What's with the duplicate posting :confused:

I think just "good luck" would suffice

Back