Learner drivers could be allowed on motorways.

Currently reading:
Learner drivers could be allowed on motorways.

I would love to have learned how to drive on a proper motorway, but they're too far away from me sadly.

I've been driving a year and still haven't been on one, so when I do, I'll not know what's what. Surely that's more dangerous than going on one with a qualified driving instructor? I'm all for learners going on the M'way - good for them!

I would love to have learned how to drive on a proper motorway, but they're too far away from me sadly.

I've been driving a year and still haven't been on one, so when I do, I'll not know what's what. Surely that's more dangerous than going on one with a qualified driving instructor? I'm all for learners going on the M'way - good for them!

You've never been on the A167(M) or A1(M)?

or if you are passing queuing traffic, cant move out of queue on right to use left lane to queue jump though
Mmm, I wasn't actually asking for clarification, just highlighting why I've decided to part company with the IAM. If members (supposedly of a higher driving standard) are asking for clarification of such a basic tenet as this then I would doubt their driving standard actually IS of a raised standard. It would be like Sir Alex Ferguson asking for clarification of the Offside rule.

or if traffic in another lane is traveling slower than the lane you are in contested traffic which is usually caused by some :tosser: doing 50 in the middle lane
It would appear that rule that you quoted has been modified recently. It used to include the important words ".....SLOW MOVING queues of traffic....."

Re: Learner on Motorways

From what I saw of this learners would be allowed on the motorway in a dual control car with a qualified instructor. To me, that is a very good idea. My girlfriend has just passed her test and does not feel confident about going on motorways. We have looked into pass-plus but that is a waste of time and money (opinion of her instructor and another instructor). Pass plus contains many six modules and the motorway one can end up being theory only if there is no motorway nearby. So making pass-plus compulsory is no guarantee that the candidate has any motorway experience. Why not just take the elements from pass-plus that are 'missing' and add them into the regular driving test? Making someone pass a test and then forcing them to do another test is stupid, it should be a single process.

After speaking to a few different instructors, they have recommended that instead of pass-plus my OH should just take another couple of hours of lessons to get some solid motorway experience. There is no real reason why this couldn't have been done before the test - and if say "2 hours of motorway driving" was a prerequisite to the test then this would help make the motorways safer for everyone else imo.

Erm, it's just another road, it's not like you completely lose the ability to drive when you drive on to one, or you have to make some massive, untought adjustment to your driving.

I know you're a female, but use your common sense and you'll be fine. Yes, I did just oxymoron it up in here.

E
I know you're a female, but use your common sense and you'll be fine. remember the mirrors are for checking what is coming from behind not checking hair and makeup, facebook can wait for a status update after you leave the motorway no need for an omg cant believe i am actually driving on a motorway status, followed by some lorry is tailgating me the :tosser:

:eek:

Learners should be allowed on Motorways just before they do there test, its a massive part of driving (unless you live in the countryside!) I also think we should have other specifications such as night driving and driving in wet conditions. driving can be taught to a monkey but getting the confidence up and being a competent driver is different.

'To not check your blind spot...' Think you should ask for a refund on that Pass plus lesson my friend, what about looking for a motorcyclist?

My moms sister has been driving for almost 40 years but she's never driven on a motorway.

The hardest part for most people seems to be getting on a motorway at the correct speed and slotting into the moving traffic.

Last edited:
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/801294922/is-it-time-to-supervise-newly-qualified-drivers/?utm_source=emailnewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=february12

Young and inexperienced drivers are often the most at risk of being involved in an accident, as many struggle to cope with being in control of a car without the supervision of a driving instructor, but under new proposals that fear could be a thing of the past.

A new idea has been put to Downing Street by the insurance industry, which would ban newly-qualified drivers getting behind the wheel unless they have an experience motorist who is over 25 in the car with them.

The move has been proposed as a way to fight rising insurance costs experienced by UK motorists in recent years, with major players in the industry suggesting that implementing the measure could lead to a reduction of young drivers' premiums.

Do you think supervision of newly-qualified drivers by those over 25 is feasible?

As well as the supervision measure, the insurance industry and the government have come up with a number of other suggestions to help reduce the cost of insurance in the UK.

They include a crackdown on whiplash scams where people involved in minor shunts are being encouraged to make bogus compensation claims, a requirement for road accident victims to supply substantial medical evidence to back up any medical compensation claim and a ban on referral fees paid by ambulance-chasing lawyers.

It is also hoped that a commitment to cut the £1,200 fee that lawyers can charge to pursue small personal injury claims will be reached between the two parties.

Ministers say urgent action is needed to cope with a rise in compensation claims linked to road accidents and the resulting increases in premiums. Britain has become the whiplash capital of Europe with more than 1,500 claims a day and insurance payouts for this add up to £2 billion a year – £90 for every motor policy.[/I]

First suggestion - Utterly ridiculous. What if the 25 year old is a complete moron or a terrible driver? What if you didn't personally know anyone over 25 that was an experienced driver? What if you live away from home?

Another ill thought out cretinous idea from the morons that are supposed to be running the country.

Second suggestion - I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I'll keep saving for my insurance premiums rising year on year. Nothing will change, in my opinion. This is a politicians/bankers/lawyers world.

I think this is further vindication of the case for Graduated Licences. In other words, pass the basic test and you can drive a low powered car within a relatively small radius, say 30 miles or so from the home address and forbidding the driver from using motorways or National Speed Limit roads.

If you want to drive a more powerful car or drive further or faster then you need a higher grade licence for which training, including on motorways would be needed; just like for a motorcycle or HGV.

The difficulty with that is who enforces it. Having been involved in driving tuition for years I firmly believe motorway tuition should be part of Pass+.

Looking at the overall standard of motorway driving, it's clear that most people can't join, leave or drive along one. They still think in terms of slow, medium or fast lanes and that the Slow (nearside) lane is for trucks only and that if they drive at 50 in a car they should be in lane two, which is a problem for everybody but most of all for truck and coach drivers who can't use the outside lane of a three or four lane road.

Virtually everyday I see drivers signal to change lanes, start to move and then have to swerve back because there's something there.....usually me, which means a hell of a lot of drivers don't use their mirrors, or check their blind spots.

Personally, I think that driving standards as a whole in this country are below par and do need improving, but this isn't so much down to the driving test as it stands, but more down to urban myths, which have been doing the rounds for years, if not decades. In the '70s and '80s this largely centered around seat belts and the soon to be introduced legislation.

If you want an example of myths, ask anyone, well mainly blokes, probably over 40 years old the following question: How do you get out of a skid?

If the answer is: "Steer into it?" Then you have my permission to tell him that he's officially talking ********, because as FWD cars and vans have become the norm rather than the exception, oversteer is becoming less and less common, the most usual form of skid is the straight-line-into-the-back-of-the-car-in-front. Even with ABS cars still don't stop as quickly as they would in the dry.

First suggestion - Utterly ridiculous. What if the 25 year old is a complete moron or a terrible driver? What if you didn't personally know anyone over 25 that was an experienced driver? What if you live away from home?

Another ill thought out cretinous idea from the morons that are supposed to be running the country.

Second suggestion - I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I'll keep saving for my insurance premiums rising year on year. Nothing will change, in my opinion. This is a politicians/bankers/lawyers world.

I think the general concensus is that 95% of all 18yr old are immature idiots with a god / narcissistic complex.

It is also general belief that by 25years old most of those people have matured and cut out the risky self centred behaviour. But your right there will always be one or two 'special' people who are the exception to the rule.

There's a dude I knew in college who in his first year of driving had two fault accident's with stationary objects :ROFLMAO:.

I think this is further vindication of the case for Graduated Licences. In other words, pass the basic test and you can drive a low powered car within a relatively small radius, say 30 miles or so from the home address and forbidding the driver from using motorways or National Speed Limit roads.

I think you've got a point on restricting power but 30mile radius :nutter:. If I had that limitation my earning potential at that age would have been seriously compromised and I wouldn't have had the excellent work opportunaties that where availible to me due to me having my own car and a license.

This would have had a knock on effect holding me back 2-3 years.

I'm a firm believer in Darwin theory, e.g let the idiots who can't master the laws of physics when driving die and those that can survive. The problem is cars are that safe now the idiots are surviving but tragically take out innocent by-standers.

I had a 150bhp car at 19yrs old and never been close to being in a collision. But then again I kinda grow up early.

Last edited:
Unfortunatly standards of driving are never going to get better IMO. Only thursday on my way home from work I witnessed a driving instruction on his own in a fully marked instructor car join a dual carrage way, and do several lane changes without signalling once. I often think I'm the one in the wrong signalling when changing lane, and not sitting in the middle lane when not over taking on motorways.

Regards to restricting the radius new drivers can drive, utterly pointless IMO. The majority of accident apparently happen within 10 miles of home apparently, but regardless of this I can't see how creating a radius would prevent accidents.

Limiting power however is a good idea IMO though, although I do agree with Chris about the Darwin awards side of things :p

Back