Learner drivers could be allowed on motorways.

Currently reading:
Learner drivers could be allowed on motorways.

I used to be in instructor, many years ago, and it was always a relief to get new learners onto the open road. Dual carrigeways were always fine, and motorways probably would be too.

It was teaching them to drive in heavy urban traffic that always left me touching cloth.

Meh. It's a road. They're going to go on it anyway. Let them on. They can't be worse than the dimwit mouth breathers who dribble along at 50mph in lane 2 and 3 on the M1 now.

Personally I think it would be a really good idea, but only after they'd passed the test. An expanded version of the existing Pass Plus+ would be the best kind, but only after the pupil has had time to get used to a little more driving. A month or two ought to do it, as they need time to add a little polish to the physical aspects of their skill. They will also have time to take in what they've been taught as, depending on the Motorway and time of day they go on it, they will have to improve their mirror techniques and their forward observation and planning by a long way.

As for the IAM, I first joined in 1975 and left a few months later as I disagreed with some of their techniques. I rejoined in the '80s, left again and finally joined once more in 1998. I've recently allowed my membership to lapse as I felt that some of the letters to their magazine were puerile and really shouldn't have been asked by members of the Institute of Advanced Motorists.

One example read (approximately) "My friend says you can overtake on the left in a one way street. I think you can only overtake on the left if the other driver is turning right. What do you think?"

Also, if ADIs are to take on this role, they really need to want to improve matters on the motorways, not just buy a new conservatory.

when i did pass plus i was told to look out for what everyone else is doing, i.e if someone is going faster than the car in front of them expect them to pull out to over take etc.

Also told to look out for police cars on bridges

watch the cars in front x3 for braking, i.e. the car in front of you might be braking the cars in front of them might be, so expect to slow.

Checking blind stop for when you're changing lanes, yet keep track of what it coming up behind you in other lanes so you know if a car in going into the blind spot, take you time when choosing the moment to pull out etc.

I was almost taken out by a lorry then a silver car when a lorry drifted from lane 1 - 2 for no reason that i could see i was along side, quick glance to right no one there so while on the brake i go right, but this silver car was doing well over a ton, so the point where i was half in lanes 2&3 they had come up along side my rear wheel, so almost sandwiched between a lorry and a car locked up and slided just between the two.

If i hadn't starting going right when the lorry drifted it would have hi becuase i was going 75mph and the lorry ~ 50 mph so braking alone wasn't enough to avoid it.

After this i was nervous about driving on motorway until my next journey

or if traffic in another lane is traveling slower than the lane you are in contested traffic which is usually caused by some :tosser: doing 50 in the middle lane

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

The most difficult part of using lane 1 is planning ahead to make sure that the plank in lane 2, overtaking at your speed +1mph, doesn't shove you into the back of a truck.

It amazes me how many people drive alongside you, usually in the blind spot. Either overtake and clear off out of the way, or get behind.

Motorway lessons should have been compulsory from about 30 years ago. Of the driving population on the road, probably less than 1% have ever had any tuition on how to do it (IAM or Pass Plus). It will take decades to improve the standards.

It's probably pointless though, as I think most of the crappy driving is more to do with the "******** to everyone, me me me" attitude to life in general these days than driving tuition.

Most other countries seem to get the hang of using the second and third lanes just for overtaking. I don't know what tuition they have.

...Most other countries seem to get the hang of using the second and third lanes just for overtaking. I don't know what tuition they have.

THe thing is they don't have as many three lane motorways as we do. So they appreciate better that the outside lane is for overtaking only. The point being you overtake and then imediately f**k off out of the way of other drivers, regardless of what might be in the inside lane 1/2 a mile up the road.

Of course the problem then is timing the manouvre in such a way as to pull out without being rear ended by an Alfa bearing down on you at 120 mph.

The other thing is if you don't get out of the way soon enough, they let you know about it big style.

I love driving abroad.:D

Re: Learner on Motorways

I passed my test nearly four years ago, but as i live on an island i haven't driven on a motorway yet. Would never do it alone at first, i'd want someone like my dad that has been on the motorway hundreds of times across the country and can give pointers, hell he taught me to drive offroad far before i could take lessons. I would consider Pass Plus, mainly to reduce insurance, although i am now past the price hike. Would just make it even more expensive for learners, not that it's a bad thing..

Re: Learner on Motorways

Well either way it would make it more expensive because they would have to spend time on motorways, which means more lessons. So the same either way. And if like me, you did all your lessons and pas plus with the same instructor, she had already seen me drive at night etc so most things were already ticked off.

I just think it makes more sense to do it on pass plus rather than as a learner.

Thinking about it though, i dont see how dual carriageways are any less dangerous becuase people travel at a similar speed and slip roads are much, much shorter.

Back