Learner drivers could be allowed on motorways.

Currently reading:
Learner drivers could be allowed on motorways.

im on the fence with this

its not always feasible, where i live back home its a good hours drive to the nearest motorway so you would have to go on a three hour lesson too get one hour on the motorway

Re: Learner on Motorways

Don't forget some motorways actually have 3 lanes each side plus hard shoulder :p.

Theres some stretches which are 4-5 lanes for a few miles A1 - M62 is a good example of that. The first time I drove on that (2 weeks after passing my test) on my own too, I was petrified lol sweating like mad.

Last edited:

Don't forget some motorways actually have 3 lanes each side plus hard shoulder :p.

Theres some stretches which are 4-5 lanes for a few miles A1 - M62 is a good example of that. The first time I drove on that (2 weeks after passing my test) on my own too, I was petrified lol sweating like mad.

I've been on some 3 lane dual carriageways, seem no different to me :p :eek:

As long as you use them properly, ie inside lane all the time unless overtaking, I can see the issues with them.

same reason as no mopeds no horses no walkers and so on

What reasons that :confused:

I know they're no allowed where as on dual carriageways they are (although have a death wish if they do) but why, motorways are no more dangerous IMO. Same speeds etc involved and same volume of traffic on some also.

It's always felt odd to me that a learner could get a full license without having ever experienced a motorway. And if they have no experience of a motorway the problems of people hanging in the middle and right lane at 50-60mph are only going to get worse. Actually, given the state of the M1 now, it's probably ok for learners, mopeds and horses to use it. No one does much above 60 at the best of times anyway.

I drove on the motorway as a learner.......

Not my fault dad was directing and he said oh go down the A1(M) I was like its blue its a motorway I shouldn't be on there. I didn't mind it at all, but I think I was a reasonably confident driver at that point, came off at the following junction

I've been in the car with a few people on motorways, a few of each age group. Some of the more sensible young ones feel that doing 40-50MPH is safer.:eek::eek:

Dom

I've been in the car with a few people on motorways, a few of each age group. Some of the more sensible young ones feel that doing 40-50MPH is safer.:eek::eek:

Dom

And I've no problem with that if they stick to the left lane and don't bother anyone. It's when they drive 3 abreast at those speeds that punting them into the wall starts to look like a reasonable response.

I think they should make pass plus compulsory. For the first year of driving you should be classed as a learner when it comes to motorways etc and should be made wear P plates for a year. Then there should be another test to check that you can drive on motorways and the other wee bits you don't do on the test. also to check that you can actually drive. The amount of new drivers that have a complete disregard for using they're indicators, speed limits, right lanes is crazy.

As a learner i would be scared silly going on a motorway, before passing my test. When we drove to Stanford and Mitcar last year i seen some crazy stuff happening on the motorway nothing like what i had seen on any dual carriage way.

For a very long time I've felt that motorway driving is the simplest of all driving. Point the car in the direction you want to go. Hang to the left and overtake slower cars on the right. No lights, no cyclists, no roundabouts, no one crossing the road. If you can't drive on a motorway you really have no business in a car.

And I've no problem with that if they stick to the left lane and don't bother anyone. It's when they drive 3 abreast at those speeds that punting them into the wall starts to look like a reasonable response.

The fact is they are bothering people though because heavy's are having to use the middle lane more so are moving people about more, much more chance of a crash.

I think they should make pass plus compulsory. For the first year of driving you should be classed as a learner when it comes to motorways etc and should be made wear P plates for a year. Then there should be another test to check that you can drive on motorways and the other wee bits you don't do on the test. also to check that you can actually drive. The amount of new drivers that have a complete disregard for using they're indicators, speed limits, right lanes is crazy.

As a learner i would be scared silly going on a motorway, before passing my test. When we drove to Stanford and Mitcar last year i seen some crazy stuff happening on the motorway nothing like what i had seen on any dual carriage way.

I like this idea.(y)

Dom

As above, I don't think learner's should be allowed on motorways.

OR, I don't think they should be allowed until the end of their lessons.

I struggled to get my girlfriend to do 60mph on sheffield parkway a few weeks ago, if she had done this on her lessons this probably wouldn't be an issue.

I think it all depends on the personality of the driver i.e. some people can't wait to get on the motorway, others hate it.

I also think learners in general need to be more educated about both dual carriageway and motorways e.g. the other day i was pulling onto an extremely short slip road coming out of pontefract, the woman is the near lane did not move over and with little time to adjust my speed without slamming on, I was forced to drive on the hard shoulder for a few seconds before she noticed.

I really dont know what my point is here, bit of rambling tbh

I think it all depends on the personality of the driver i.e. some people can't wait to get on the motorway, others hate it.

But if we're going to allow them to be on the motorway, they should be skilled in doing so whether they want to or not. Motorways are pretty common. The odds are that a person will need to use them at some point. It's madness that we don't prepare people for it.

the woman is the near lane did not move over and with little time to adjust my speed without slamming on, I was forced to drive on the hard shoulder for a few seconds before she noticed.

I really don't know what my point is here, bit of rambling tbh

people don't have to move over, some do if its safe to do so, a lot of the time it isn't safe to do so, so you should never assume people will but adjust your driving to merge in front or behind them.

Last edited:

people don't have to move over, some do if its safe to do so, a lot of the time it isn't safe to do so, so you should never assume people will but adjust your driving to merge in front or behind them.

:yeahthat: it's their right of way and you should be adjusting your speed to match theirs and merge when safe.

:yeahthat: it's their right of way and you should be adjusting your speed to match theirs and merge when safe.

and if your the one already on the motorway/dual carriageway maintain a constant speed. many times ive adjusted to slot nicely in behind someone only for them to freak and slam their brakes on so they are then at the side of me doing the same speed

For a very long time I've felt that motorway driving is the simplest of all driving. Point the car in the direction you want to go. Hang to the left and overtake slower cars on the right. No lights, no cyclists, no roundabouts, no one crossing the road. If you can't drive on a motorway you really have no business in a car.

Ha Ha.
ALL my driving in on the motorway. has been for past 2 years. It's full of other dangers that most people (Those who don't drive everyday on the motorway) arn't a where of:

Lorry's losing their loads at 60 mph.
Lorry's unable to stop when behind you.
Police cars on bridges above the motorway > speeding drivers slamming on brakes causing havoc behind.
The New driver taking stupid risks, On a motorway you don't take risks.
New drivers only watching the car in front and those to left and / or right. - should watch 3-4 cars ahead and those around, 3-4 cars ahead for braking, if the person infront isn't slowing and goes into the back the car infront of them, you won't stand a chance.
Birds on the motorway. - yes it happens, a bird strike will destroy your windscreen.
Debry on the road, glass, mirrors, tyres, even people crossing!
I almost hit a person in lane 3 at night doing over 70mph.
Lorry drivers falling asleep - very scary, no warning the truck just goes and hits anything in it's path - Only seen this twice so far.
Pot holes are worse. 80+ and hit a pot hole. It hurts.
Heavy rain - you can lose sight of the car infront by a wall of white.

The list goes on...

Personally i don't like those who stay in lanes 2 or 3 when the other lanes are free. Happened today. masses of people in lane 3. 0 cars in lane 2. 1 lorry in lane 1. Undertaking is not allowed but i tends to happen in this case. You HAVE TO WATCH what everyone is doing, they will not expect anyone on the left going faster and over taking.

Ha Ha.
ALL my driving in on the motorway. has been for past 2 years. It's full of other dangers that most people (Those who don't drive everyday on the motorway) arn't a where of:

Lorry's losing their loads at 60 mph.
Lorry's unable to stop when behind you.
Police cars on bridges above the motorway > speeding drivers slamming on brakes causing havoc behind.
The New driver taking stupid risks, On a motorway you don't take risks.
New drivers only watching the car in front and those to left and / or right. - should watch 3-4 cars ahead and those around, 3-4 cars ahead for braking, if the person infront isn't slowing and goes into the back the car infront of them, you won't stand a chance.
Birds on the motorway. - yes it happens, a bird strike will destroy your windscreen.
Debry on the road, glass, mirrors, tyres, even people crossing!
I almost hit a person in lane 3 at night doing over 70mph.
Lorry drivers falling asleep - very scary, no warning the truck just goes and hits anything in it's path - Only seen this twice so far.
Pot holes are worse. 80+ and hit a pot hole. It hurts.
Heavy rain - you can lose sight of the car infront by a wall of white.

The list goes on...

Personally i don't like those who stay in lanes 2 or 3 when the other lanes are free. Happened today. masses of people in lane 3. 0 cars in lane 2. 1 lorry in lane 1. Undertaking is not allowed but i tends to happen in this case. You HAVE TO WATCH what everyone is doing, they will not expect anyone on the left going faster and over taking.

You get all of the above on busy dual carriageway A roads, plus cyclists, roundabouts, traffic lights, junctions, tractors... etc

Back