General Just ordered a Black Panda Cross

Currently reading:
General Just ordered a Black Panda Cross

HDC is the only 'real' difference between Cross and normal 4x4. The Drive Control in Cross has 3 positions - Normal, Off-Road and HDC. Normal is the same as default in the 4x4, Cross Off-Road is the same as 4x4 with ELD selected (preps the early locking of the diff and pseudo cross-axle braking) and then you have HDC, which would be the same as power downhill braking, if the driver of a normal 4x4 could do it!!

Lifted ride-height is through the 185 tyres, as opposed to the stock 175's we get on the 4x4, but other than that they're the same.

Lifted air-intake is the same as the stock 4x4.

Apart from the looks, which I agree look excellent on the Cross and the front approach angle will be slightly better on the Cross too. Not much in it however, but useful none the less.

Just get those tyres sorted! How ironic that 4x4's in the UK come with full Winter spec tyres, yet you're being told that the stock 4x4 in snowy Norway comes on summers..... Gotta love Fiat!

Yup, that's what I understand the differences to be....

There are some more differences mechanicly with the Cross.
Hill Decent
the 4x4 option, I would think this is sligtly different than the ELD?
The car is lifted a few centimetres.
The Airintake is lifted
Not quite:

• 4x4 system is identical - the ELD option on mine is same as selecting 'offroad' in the Cross. (And on the Cross, setting to 'auto' actually does 'nothing' - its the standard (with no switch to select it) setting on the normal 4x4 anyway). Only the Hill Descent the 'extra' the Cross gets over the 4x4
  • The gain of a few mm in height is entirely due to the tyre size being 6mm bigger in radius (185/65r15 tyres of the Cross are 621mm in diameter, 175/65r15 of the 'normal' 4x4 are 609mm) - at least, once you have the correct tyres :)
  • And no, the air intake is the same on the 4x4 too - both are lifted (only slightly) compared to the 2 wheel drive. Some Fiat info says, wrongly, its lifted 760mm, which is nonsense! As you've seen, even Fiat get things wrong with specs)
[few moments later...] Oops - sorry, my screen hadn't refreshed, so I'd not seen that Ringa had given almost exactly the same reply!
Pete

Last edited:
Yes, one has remote, the other not. I know that. But I ordered the one with remote with red cover.
Ah - now I understand!

My comment referred back to much older Fiats, where you were supplied with a blue key (maybe two? ) and a red one. The red one (which you were supposed to keep safely at home) was used in some way to reprogramme the immobiliser if the blue key was ever lost

Last edited:
Herts Hillhopper, thanks for clearing that up.
It seems I have been slightly misinformed.

Anyone know if it's possible to buy a yellow key cover? I can only find red one and a weird luminous green one on t'interweb.

How did I not find that?! Yellow one ordered. Many thanks (y)

Now all I need is a yellow dash, to replace the bronze one...

Oh, and some funkier seats would be nice, too :D

Last edited:
Mmm ... those seats!

Already have the yellow-edged mats (y)

Many, many thanks for posting the links! Must brush up on my Italian!

(Apologies to Phantom3D for hijacking the thread)

Last edited:
Hello - hope you enjoy your new car, and,despite the slight frustrations with tyres etc., have many happy kilometres!

Thank you very much. I am very happy with the car. And the sales person also, he does all he can to help me, and I am sure he will show the importer of Fiat in Norway what is right. :)

I also ordered rubber mats for my Panda. They came a few days ago. But what seems strange is that the Panda has two "clips" on both driver and passanger side. But the Mats I got only have one clip placement in the middle. And only the driverside. Otherwise they seem to fit well.

This is the "layout" of the mats I got:
j-r-car-mats-rubber-grade-in-black-to-fit-fiat-panda-2004-2011-with-1-uni-clips-in-carpet-manufactured-in-our-factory-in-the-u-k_4863624.jpg

Anyone know if I got the wrong ones?

I also ordered rubber mats for my Panda. They came a few days ago. But what seems strange is that the Panda has two "clips" on both driver and passanger side. But the Mats I got only have one clip placement in the middle. And only the driverside. Otherwise they seem to fit well.

This is the "layout" of the mats I got:
j-r-car-mats-rubber-grade-in-black-to-fit-fiat-panda-2004-2011-with-1-uni-clips-in-carpet-manufactured-in-our-factory-in-the-u-k_4863624.jpg

Anyone know if I got the wrong ones?

Are they definitely the Fiat items? - the mats I got with my 4x4 have two clips on the back of the driver's side and none on the passenger's side.

Are they definitely the Fiat items? - the mats I got with my 4x4 have two clips on the back of the driver's side and none on the passenger's side.

Yes, they say "Panda" in some strange lettering in the middle.
I also got a seperate clip to screw into the carpet for the driver side. It just seems strange having to do that when there are already 2 "clips" in the car.

Question: what is your view on the Cross rear lights units compare to normal Panda rear light units.
Do you think they look better worse. ?

Better, especially if you have the blacked-out rear windows, as it creates the illusion that the rear window is much wider than it is, and that helps to minimise the narrowness of the car.

Last edited:
Back