General Advice on buying a Panda TwinAir Cross

Currently reading:
General Advice on buying a Panda TwinAir Cross

Morning,

Just joined the forum after lurking around for a few weeks. I am planning to go look at this Panda on Friday and would like any advice on things I should specifically check for that may not be obvious:

Fiat Panda TwinAir Cross

MOT history is up till mid last year and the garage will supply a full MOT on purchase. It has full service history up till the same point (obviously serviced and MOT'd at the same time), but I will give it a full service if I buy it. I have no experience of this engine and gearbox so is there anything particular I should check? Is it likely still to be on the original clutch? I guess bite height and stiffness of pedal is all I can gauge that on.

It's slightly higher mileage than I would like but these things are rarer than hens teeth plus it is relatively close to me as well.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It's a lot of money for an 8yr old car with close on 90,000 miles on the clock. Its previous owners probably got better value from it than its next one will.

Older TA's have several potentially expensive issues, especially at higher mileages. Have a search on this forum for TA problems; it'll be a useful learning exercise for you.

It all depends on what your priorities are, how much you want both a 4x4 and a more powerful engine, and how important it is to keep your running costs low.

I'd expect a car like this to be maintenance hungry for the rest of its life.

Thanks for the comments. I have done a small amount of research on the TA and do understand some of the issues facing me. A Multijet could be more reliable except that I do lots of very short journeys (2-5 miles and back) and can't imagine that would be good for a diesel. Also, the newest Panda Cross I can find at the moment in my price range (£7K) is a 2017 and has more miles on it. There are lower mileage 4x4 varients but most are 2014 so even older.

I am not bothered about power or whether it is diesel or petrol. I would really like the extra features that come with Cross 4x4 and preferably some resonable reliability.

It's really difficult to know whether to go for low mileage or late model as I can't afford both.

can't imagine that would be good for a diesel
It wouldn't.

Don't buy a diesel if your regular use is going to be 2-5 mile journeys.
I am not bothered about power
Buy a 1.2 petrol. They are essentially bombproof and will likely cost you far, far less in maintenance. No turbo, no DMF & no uniair module to worry about. And despite what the official figures might suggest, it'll use less fuel, too.

I'm afraid I'm an inveterate looker at the little stuff, so I wondered do these do actually have TPMS? Why is there one odd tyre - that's a tooth-itcher (particularly as the Vred's an A/S and iirc the Bridgestones aren't) The sensor for the AC needs a hoover out - fluffed up which will affect its functioning. It has a good spec, as long as it all works, so do check carefully, and of course the service history in terms of the lubricants that have been used.

A diesel will be fine as long as you can and do give it a longer blast every couple of weeks or so (there have been million upon million of these engines sold worldwide and used in all applications, and it's a very reliable little lump) That's the route we went - ours turned 117K this morning, I noticed. Agree with the comment about the DMF though - that's a spendy replacement (DMF & clutch - little or no change out of £1K or so)

You'll save a good deal of cash if you go for a regular 4x4, of course. Also look at Trekking - on the right tyres it's closer to the 4x4's capabilities than 4x4 owners might imagine.

Thanks, can't disagree with any of the comments. I had noticed the tire disparity and the interior less that satisfactory. I could easily give a Multijet a good run every fortnight so maybe I will look at the diesel.

Thanks both for your input.

I too am looking about a bit, there is a 1.2 cross lurking about on Autotrader in the same colour... don't know if you spotted it?

If its still there, I'll post the link. EDIT... scratch that, it's a city cross so 2WD if I'm not mistaken and a bit out of your price range.... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401235835152

I wouldn't be out off by the concurrent 4x4 models, I prefer the interiors and general look to the cross.

I'm going tomorrow to look at a 118,000mile one...

Could you post that, please?
See above, sorry to get your hopes up, but it's a 2WD and is about £1.5k over budget...

If I had your budget, I'd be snapping this up in a heartbeat...

It wouldn't.

Don't buy a diesel if your regular use is going to be 2-5 mile journeys.

Buy a 1.2 petrol. They are essentially bombproof and will likely cost you far, far less in maintenance. No turbo, no DMF & no uniair module to worry about. And despite what the official figures might suggest, it'll use less fuel, too.
Agree entirely. I would be wary of any second hand TA. Only a full serice history showing its been on Selnia oil from new would have me looking further. I am ultra conservative cautious though, and the actual number of TA failures seems to be low. If you can get a mechanical warranty insurance for 12 months I would say do this as most of the stress is then removed. Make certain it covers the uniair unit as some polifcies dont by nture of the wording which does not include it!

Four wheel drive is useful. I have now done nearly 40K min my two Panda 4x4 Tas. Its been useful for at least 5 miles! Consider a 1.2 Panda City Cross and then fit winter tyres and unless you go off the road it will almost certainly do you just as well and you will save man ££££££ on fuel. In very similar use the 1.2 we have will do another 7miles on each gallon. Thats a pile of cash. I havnt tried the City Cross but, as its ride looks the same as the 4x4 it probably rides similarly well. The best things about the 4x4 are the ride quality and the ease of getting in and out. There is no discernable difference between the Cross and the 4x4 to use. The Hill descent control is now standard. Its a pretty worthless thing as may only be used by normal drivers once in 100,000 miles. Its really good but really nonsense. The waze does not have the horrid plastic seat bolsters that sometimes split, and soon look polished. Its one of the reasons I went for a waze, kitted up to Panda Cross levels of kit and beyond. Panda Cross economy is lower too due to raised roof rails that make more wiond noise, extra weight and fatter tyres which are not a significant improvement at all when considered overall.

A standard 4x4 is a more sophisticated looking thing ( doesnt look like its lost half its teeth) and doesnt expose the various radiators to every loose stone on the road. If I could fit a standard 4x4 bumper to mt waze cross without needing to change a lot of other parts I would have done so.

I know in the 4x4 it will not get stuck unless I drive it down a cliff or into the sea. It just won't. We have had a few Pandas and the only one that got stuck was the Panda 100 which was simply awful in snow, and that only became stuck in a car park, never on the road.

The 1.2 has a more sensible flywheel and clutch hydraulic system which is less , likely to cause expensive repairs. That alosn is powerful reasonning to look had at a City Cross and save money both buying and running. This year the TA 4x4 coast 400 to insure and the 1.2's cost £275. Not cheap I know, but top policies from a top company and zero excess with all mod cons thrown in. Base premium 374 and 261. Go Pre APril 2017 and save £150 a year on road tax too!!!

One last point. The plastic sill covers on some models and all cross models are nothjing more than aninvitation to premature rust so look carefully for blocked drains and signs of corrosion behind these things. They also make jacking significantly more annoying.

Final and best advice. Buy a Panda. They are all a joy to drive.

Back