General Advice on buying a Panda TwinAir Cross

Currently reading:
General Advice on buying a Panda TwinAir Cross

Think I will go have a look at this one, seems to me the trekking might suit my requirements and this looks pretty good:

Panda Trekking

They will put a new MOT on it as well.
Looks nice and the dmf and clutch removes a worry, as does full FFSH.

Last edited:
Full Fiat service history as well so presumably the correct oil used. Only one owner as well. I will have a look and see what I think.
If you're polite to the Fiat dealer's service team they can be very forthcoming/helpful about the history too ;)

That one also has asymmetric tyres I think - one CC2 on the rear and the rest Contis if my squinting is correct. Also the bolster cracking - can be repaired though. Mine had the same - thread below:

Just in case you weren't aware, the wee button just above the gear lever is a clever traction control setting that helps the Trekking ape the 4x4's capability.

Well spotted on the bolster - didn't notice that. Tyres, why fit an odd one when there are three the same? It's not like these tyres are that expensive. I watched a video about the use of it, exactly what I want.

Well spotted on the bolster - didn't notice that. Tyres, why fit an odd one when there are three the same? It's not like these tyres are that expensive. I watched a video about the use of it, exactly what I want.
A puncture and the repair shop couldn't get another Conti quickly, so put another premium on, I expect. Tyres aren't as clear on these photos as they were on t'other one.

Morning,

Just joined the forum after lurking around for a few weeks. I am planning to go look at this Panda on Friday and would like any advice on things I should specifically check for that may not be obvious:

Fiat Panda TwinAir Cross

MOT history is up till mid last year and the garage will supply a full MOT on purchase. It has full service history up till the same point (obviously serviced and MOT'd at the same time), but I will give it a full service if I buy it. I have no experience of this engine and gearbox so is there anything particular I should check? Is it likely still to be on the original clutch? I guess bite height and stiffness of pedal is all I can gauge that on.

It's slightly higher mileage than I would like but these things are rarer than hens teeth plus it is relatively close to me as well.

Any pointers much appreciated.
I’ll save you a trip, I went to view this one 4 weeks ago and it’s still there. Pretty much every panel had dents in it, the front silver tray is all scratched up, mismatched tyres and the drivers seat is ripped.

I didn’t even take it out for a test drive, told them to give me a call when they drop it to £5k

I’ll save you a trip, I went to view this one 4 weeks ago and it’s still there. Pretty much every panel had dents in it, the front silver tray is all scratched up, mismatched tyres and the drivers seat is ripped.
Hello and a very warm welcome to you.

If I could award a prize for the most helpful first post anyone's made to the forum this year, I'd award it to you. Thanks for joining to contribute this - and please stick around.

When I first saw the ad, I thought it was an excellent example of the kind of car someone with limited funds looking for a cheap to run car should avoid.

Seems to me the previous owner of the car extracted most of the useful value from it, saw some big bills coming and traded it away.

Think I will go have a look at this one, seems to me the trekking might suit my requirements and this looks pretty good:

Panda Trekking

They will put a new MOT on it as well.
Trekking is a great idea.. It will cope with an awful lot with its clever "electronic diff" Not 4x4 but improved capability without a doubt and a lt less pitfalls. It looks like a 4x4 makes a noise like a 4x4 its.... a trekking. MY Golf had a similar arrangement and gor me out of trouble on a very icy slope when doing a late night call. A normal car would ahve turned into a bedroom!

Ok, I have been swinging from cross to 4x4, from trekking to antartica, petrol to diesel. Like a metronome, back and forth. A local garage had a trekking come in yesterday and I went to see it this morning. It was a useful educational visit as I got to see my first Panda in the flesh and had a drive with a TA engine. I walked way in the end due to unexplained water in the boot wheel well and a slight judder when pulling away, although that could have been me getting used to a manual again. The TA engine was certainly more energetic than I thought it would be! Only problem is I have accumulated enough knowledge about Fiat/Alfa MultiAir units to know that I would rather steer clear of them.

However, the whole experience left me still not knowing what to look for so I decided to stop mincing around and put my needs and wants down on paper and be realistic and targeted about the exact vehicle I want.

After this exercise I ended up deciding that I definitely wanted a 4x4 and I decided for reliability I would go for a diesel. I mostly do shorts trips during the week but I go to see my mother every other weekend which is a 40 mile round trip which should help look after the DPF. I am going to look at this car tomorrow and will report back on how I get on.

Panda 4x4

Thanks to all for your input so far.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Ok, I have been swinging from cross to 4x4, from trekking to antartica, petrol to diesel. Like a metronome, back and forth. A local garage had a trekking come in yesterday and I went to see it this morning. It was a useful educational visit as I got to see my first Panda in the flesh and had a drive with a TA engine. I walked way in the end due to unexplained water in the boot wheel well and a slight judder when pulling away, although that could have been me getting used to a manual again. The TA engine was certainly more energetic than I thought it would be! Only problem is I have accumulated enough knowledge about Fiat/Alfa MultiAir units to know that I would rather steer clear of them.

However, the whole experience left me still not knowing what to look for so I decided to stop mincing around and put my needs and wants down on paper and be realistic and targeted about the exact vehicle I want.

After this exercise I ended up deciding that I definitely wanted a 4x4 and I decided for reliability I would go for a diesel. I mostly do shorts trips during the week but I go to see my mother every other weekend which is a 40 mile round trip which should help look after the DPF. I am going to look at this car tomorrow and will report back on how I get on.

Panda 4x4

Thanks to all for your input so far.
A perfect set up (says he, with one of the very last diesel 4x4 Pandas registered in the UK— in May 2018 — with the winter pack too)

The diesel is a great engine, well suited to the 4x4. And any after about 2016 are Euro 6, so ULEZ and other green-zone friendly.

But, they are as rare as hens’ teeth as by the time the Euro 6 engine came along, the press had led everyone to believe diesels would be taxed off the planet… which they aren’t :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yes, and as long as the delivery guys are using small vans to 40 ton artics there will always be diesel. As well as excavators, generators and tractors and combines and forklifts, etc,etc…

@Eltezz What about this one on eBay:

Looks nice. A bit of journey for me if I was looking at it, but you're a bit closer.

Back