2nd1.jpg

Punto (Mk2/2b) Joshhh Mk2b Punto "Project".

Introduction

Hello FiatForum!
Just thought start this project thread so you guys can see what im doing to my car and to gain some feedback on what i should/shouldn't do.
So to start off, i brought this baby about 3 months ago (Jan 2012). So after recovering from the crippling deposit for insurance, i can finally start to mod my car out (y)

When i brought it, there was some noticable damage to the rear bumper and the driver's side rear quater panel, where someone had hit it and it had been poorly repaired (Shoddy paintjob, so lots of rust. Fantastic.
frown.gif
)

So first off, i got it home and gave it a good clean out, where i found a boots loyality card and a drumstick lolly.
thumb.gif
(28/01/2012)

So once i had it all cleaned up, there was a niggling problem, THOSE TRIMS.

Yeah i know they are standard, or "stock" but Look at them! I truely hated them with a passion.

So, got myself over to halfords and brought some High Enamal Matte Black Paint for pretty cheap and then brought some Trims from eBay for £30
thumb.gif

So, SOOOO much better. Then, shortly after i brought some things online.

Added some stickers here and there:

So i sat there, looking at my car, admiring my work so far, and then i noticed those "Active" badges under the side repeaters. They had to go.

So got some fishing wire and some WD40 (And a hairdryer) and removed those.

BOOM.

Then i got a bit too happy with how easy that was and removed "Punto" from the back. (Yes i know, i deserve a smack from every FF user
rolleyes.gif
)

So, thats my car's story so far, the plans ive got are:

- Flyeye tint the Rear lights
- Change headlight colours
- Sportex Exhaust System (Current one sounds like a rusty fart)

So please, feel free on commenting about my car, or what you think i should do
thumb.gif
them rims look the dogs ,,,, ( good)

some wording in black letters on them ... would finish them ...

around the outer rim ,,,

Yep, stick a Rotiform sticker on them and everyone will be fooled :doh:

Sigh* My car is VERY poorly right now, gonna cost me a tonne to fix, won't be doing much to it till mid June time now :'(

What's wrong with he/she/it?

Yep, stick a Rotiform sticker on them and everyone will be fooled :doh:

What's wrong with he/she/it?

I'm just gonna wait for alloys ;) and VERY poorly lad, gonna get it stripped down to see if either the Water Pumps screwed (so new cam belt aswell) or the Head Gasket, either way its gonna sting. Guess I could squeeze the badgeless grill in if its just the pump ;)

I'm just gonna wait for alloys ;) and VERY poorly lad, gonna get it stripped down to see if either the Water Pumps screwed (so new cam belt aswell) or the Head Gasket, either way its gonna sting. Guess I could squeeze the badgeless grill in if its just the pump ;)

waterpump is gone in mine, she keeps dripping ( nothing dirty intended ) :p

if your doing the water pump you may aswell do the timing belt at the same time (y)

waterpump is gone in mine, she keeps dripping ( nothing dirty intended ) :p

if your doing the water pump you may aswell do the timing belt at the same time (y)

Think we're gonna lad, I just hope its not gonna kill me, there's still so much I wanna do! But so little time, arghhhh! (y)

So the cars back up and running, seems alot happier! (y) So this is what happened under the hood.
  • Waterpump has been replaced from the shoddy plastic vained one, so hopefully this one won't die anytime soon (y)
  • New Timing Belt.
  • Spark Plugs had been ceized in place and was a BASTARD to get out, had to get a torque wrench on them to get them out. They were nearly all out of a spec (The gap was over) So we had them replaced with some better ones, starts up alot better.
  • Cylinder Head was skimmed, just incase it WAS warped, so it was better safe than sorry, so took a decent amount off that (y)
  • Brand new Head Gasket, along with new Rocker Cover and Gaskets.
  • Cleaned up the engine with a toothbrush.
  • Removed all the stones and dead bugs from the radiator. (Labour of love right there.)
  • New Radiator Fan, the last one spinned like a Bayblade.
  • Replaced some jubilee clips on some pipes attached to radiator.(Rusty)
  • Replaced all the missing bolts from the Manifold heat shield. (Some were sheered off and looked a mess, it also rattled like a spray can) So replaced all the bolts with new fresh ones.
  • Got the Rear Bumper Plastic Welded (A **** poor job of a weld) Filled, smoothed and primered. (3x)
  • Got a new front bumper as it was damaged, come primered.
  • Replaced some missing Dust Caps, little bast*rds by me robbed them.
So yeah, the car has had some work done to it.
Ordered this beauty thanks to DeeJayCeee
41exm4Axi3L._SS500_.jpg

Can't wait.

Also, new exhaust has came, waiting for Wednesday to put that on.
Got the car going in a spray booth Saturday to get bumpers, bonnet and Wing done, so i can FINALLY get rid of that rust thats been annoying me since day one with this car. (Along with the cracked bumper, all the problems have been removed (y)(y))

So the car has had a major amount of restoring, should run sweet as a nut for a very, very long time (TOUCH WOOD.)
So this is why i haven't done anything lately guys, at the moment im driving around with a black car with Grey primered bumpers, so i am not happy with the way it looks atm.

Soon guys, very soon:
- FK Coilovers.
- Mount that Exhaust
- Badgeless Grill
- Remove and fill rear FIAT badge.

Peace out guys.

Good stuff mate. I had a mk2 Sporting for a good few months - recently sold it and bought a 04 mk2b. Loving it at the moment. I'm going to buy one of those badgeless grills - how long do they take to come?

Been reading this thread and love what you've done with your Punto! Given me a few ideas for my own (Mk2)... :D

I love the Flyeye tinting effect (and you've made a really neat job of it!) and am thinking about giving it a go on my car.... but not too sure how it would look on a silver Punto? :confused:

Been reading this thread and love what you've done with your Punto! Given me a few ideas for my own (Mk2)... :D

I love the Flyeye tinting effect (and you've made a really neat job of it!) and am thinking about giving it a go on my car.... but not too sure how it would look on a silver Punto? :confused:

Glad you enjoyed it buddy! If you need any help just ask alright? (y)
and Silver MK2? It'd be a crime not to tint them :p Fly Eyes are pretty cheap so just try it, if you don't chuck it, if you do, save the rest incase they need re-doing (Mine do, ill explain in a bit why)
But yeah, just go for it, Aslong as YOU like them, it doesn't matter (y)
Take care!

Right guys, all the way back when i brought this car, there were a few niggling issues I had that sent me crazy. I've probably mentioned them in this thread somewhere.

First, The rust under my Right Rear Light:
DSC003684.JPG

I was so close to doing this its not even funny.
And the wheel arch:
DSC003695.JPG

This car must of been a boat at some point in its life.

And the rear bumper had that crack.
Well, it was about time we did something about that! :bang:
DSC003713.JPG

Got the bumper plastic welded, filled and primed. :rolleyes:

DSC003735.JPG

KILLED ALL THAT RUST. (Rust killer and sanding down. Took 6 1/2 Hours but it is dead, once and for all. Flawless Victory.

New front bumper:
DSC003704.JPG
This one was beyond a repair (Damaged whilst taking it to be repaired.)

So after all this, there was one last stage.
Which happened today, at 7am. My Little Fiat Punto 1.2 Active was taken into the spray booth:
And... Ill let the photos do the talking:

DSC003765.JPG

DSC003774.JPG

DSC003796.JPG

Just, Fantastic.
1338640007344.gif

And oh yes, this bad boy come too, the Badgeless Grill (That other bit is the trim on the front bumper)
DSC003803.JPG

And this:
DSC003815.JPG

Sadly i can't do anything with these until that paint has settled, it probably has by now but im just so scared of damaging it, im going to wait till after Download Fest (8th-10th) is over before i put these on. After that im going to T-Cut the car, polish, wax, the works.

So that's whats been happening guys. My car is driving very happy, its alot better without the rust, dodgey primered bumper. Everything is just so much sweeter.

Cheers for the support guys, take care.

Last edited:
Nice little project you got here. I got the same car recently (first ever car btw :D). I want to add some subtle mods to make it look a bit better. I have no experience with any type of modding but that badge-less grill looks nice and was wondering if it's easy to install? £5 is a bargain!

Thanks, and good luck with your car! (y)

EDIT: Just ordered it, can't wait!

Last edited:
Nice little project you got here. I got the same car recently (first ever car btw :D). I want to add some subtle mods to make it look a bit better. I have no experience with any type of modding but that badge-less grill looks nice and was wondering if it's easy to install? £5 is a bargain!

Thanks, and good luck with your car! (y)

EDIT: Just ordered it, can't wait!

Congrats mate! Lovely cars the MK2b's :cool:
New grill is literally 4 screws, so its not that difficult buddy (y)
Cheers lad, you too! Best start a thread about yours then so we can all have a look too! ;)

what 'zaust is that?
It isn't a make Jamie, its a custom build (I believe) The welding on it is a complete bodge, so the pipe will have to come off and be re-welded on (n)

Congrats mate! Lovely cars the MK2b's :cool:
New grill is literally 4 screws, so its not that difficult buddy (y)
Cheers lad, you too! Best start a thread about yours then so we can all have a look too! ;)

Cheers man, yeah its a nice little car. Ah right, yeah I just looked in my Haynes manual and found out it's as simple as just unscrewing, simples!

Yeah I will start a thread as soon as I can get out to take some pics, but with this lovely English weather I can't get any yet without going for a swim in the process. :bang:

HI Joshhh i see you have fitted a new front bumper,did you weld the outside grilles on the back of the bumper where they go through the captive fittings?
factory ones are welded here but when you replace with aftermarket copies you think they clip in tight but with the bumper flexing over time they pop out or get stolen
a neat self tapper drilled from the front is just as effective if you dont want to get under:)

looking good

:)

Glad you enjoyed it buddy! If you need any help just ask alright? (y)
and Silver MK2? It'd be a crime not to tint them :p Fly Eyes are pretty cheap so just try it, if you don't chuck it, if you do, save the rest incase they need re-doing (Mine do, ill explain in a bit why)
But yeah, just go for it, Aslong as YOU like them, it doesn't matter (y)
Take care!

Ah awesome, cheers very much (y)
And I think when the Flyeye site is back open (I think they're on holiday or something...) I'll be ordering a kit for my car... might as well give it a bash! :D Why did yours need re-doing?

Back