jamie oliver chicken programe

Currently reading:
jamie oliver chicken programe

couldnt all then celebs put their money together and buy out kfc then close them all down? :confused:

I agree I’m an strait out carnivore and I wouldn’t touch there food with a bargepole.

Not a big loss IMO.

And I do think Jamie Oliver especially is raping it as free publicity as he's not been on the TV for a few months and Gordon Ramsay is better than him :rolleyes:.

will freerange prices drop if others are outlawed?
no, they would go up in the short term for 2 economic reasons:
with no competition price always increases
with increased demand (and the already limited supply) price increases

in the medium term prices should stabalise, this should happen once we can import enough free range eggs.

then in the long term when all uk egg producers switch to free range the price will drop slightly.

however thats the theory assuming anything changes, and common sense tells you a tv programme isnt going to change the world, it never has and never will. in 3 weeks time no one will care any more and the cheapest eggs on the shelf will still be the best sellers.

Last edited:
This is starting to do my head in.

Lets all jump on the band wagon.

I know its not nice how they are kept, and we tend to get our meat from a butcher not super market, but they are bred for a purpose and people will buy what they can afford.

But what about the turkeys that are mass farmed for xmas, are they gonna try and "save" them next year?

we dont like animals kept in small cages not able to "run free" how many of your kids have rabbits, hamsters or gerbils ect? surely your not better than the chicken farmers.

My view..... not meant to offended anyone.Also sorry if i have repeated whats been said but i only scanned over the thread.

Whatever the celebrities motives are behind the campaigns, whether its to further their career or genuinely highlight the issue, it doesn’t matter, the point is they are doing something, and as a result of that people are no longer ignorant of what they're eating, and if in turn that prevents the appalling cruelty then it can only be a good thing.
And to everyone who says this campaign will be forgotten in weeks, bolox, I remember when the plight of battery hens was originally highlighted, back then no one ate free range because no one knew of the difference, I never knew what a 'battery hen' was, since that I found I've not (knowingly) ate an egg from a battery chicken, and everyone I know will only eat free-range.
People do have voice; you can make a difference by just making smaller changes in your everyday living it can contribute to the bigger picture.
So if jumping on a bandwagon is going to help eradicate unnecessary suffering, fantastic, get me the wagon and show me where to jump.

Well at least people are trying. It shows how much kindness there really is out there.

To be honest i think Magical Trevor has said everything that needs to be said about the people who are kind hearted enough to be compassionate about something like this

Last edited:
didnt work last time, or the time before.

Err no, it was exactly a campaign like this which will mean battery chicken eggs being illegal in the EU in 4 years and before then most supermarkets are stopping selling them in the UK.

So basically they do work.

This is starting to do my head in.

Lets all jump on the band wagon.

I know its not nice how they are kept, and we tend to get our meat from a butcher not super market, but they are bred for a purpose and people will buy what they can afford.

But what about the turkeys that are mass farmed for xmas, are they gonna try and "save" them next year?

we dont like animals kept in small cages not able to "run free" how many of your kids have rabbits, hamsters or gerbils ect? surely your not better than the chicken farmers.

I seriously think you missed the point!

From my own personal opinion I dont buy cheap meat, I am not jumping on the bandwagon as you say.

I have always liked chickens and wanted to keep them for years and hate the way they are farmed. I am out and out a meat eater but that doesnt mean that I dont want animals being looked after as best as possible.

You might want to throw a KFC down your neck without a thought of what you are actually eating but I personally do.

Comparing hamsters, rabbits etc to farmed animals makes no sense what so ever.

I seriously think you missed the point!

From my own personal opinion I dont buy cheap meat, I am not jumping on the bandwagon as you say.

I have always liked chickens and wanted to keep them for years and hate the way they are farmed. I am out and out a meat eater but that doesnt mean that I dont want animals being looked after as best as possible.

You might want to throw a KFC down your neck without a thought of what you are actually eating but I personally do.

Comparing hamsters, rabbits etc to farmed animals makes no sense what so ever.

Thats nice that you dont buy "cheap meat" some ppl cant choose what they buy, its what they can afford.

Did i say i ate it? no, did i say i buy cheap meat? no

How is it different?

Chickens are farmed in small conditions, rabbits and small pets are kept in small cages and hutches and not that often let out. Chickens are kept in small cages for a few months, pets for years. (Dave, Mrs Dave, this is in no way aimed at you as your rabbits are super lucky, so please dont take offence)

if we`re a country of animal lovers why keep ANYTHING in smaller conditions than they are meant to be.

As i said, i said what i think like everyine else has on this thread, its my view, i do not care if ppl dont agree with me.

So are you all going to stop eating the fish that is mass farmed, or dont fish count ? What about veil? Why just chickens....... lets save them all :rolleyes:

All it takes is one "celeb" getting a huge pay packet and all of a sudden everyones on the moral high ground. Do you really think they`d care if they wasnt geting paid and TV shows out of it? Cos i dont think they would.

Err no, it was exactly a campaign like this which will mean battery chicken eggs being illegal in the EU in 4 years and before then most supermarkets are stopping selling them in the UK.

So basically they do work.

that EU legislation was passed in early 2007, before this campaign started. "enriched cage" battery farming will still be allowed from 2012, so we arent stopping it, simply making a few smal changes. birds will still be kept in cages. these enriched conditions are still considered unacceptable to welfare campaigners such as Compassion in World Farming (CIWF), and i'm sure to yourself as well.

Sainsbury's were the first to stop selling battery eggs as a result of the 2012 EU legislation (april 2007). they did that by choice, not to help chickens but to gain a competitive advantage. everyone will be forced to follow them, few will wait until the deadline in 2012 because it isnt good for business. no one is making decisions based on chicken welfare, it is all about business.

however Marks and Spencer took battery eggs off the shelves nearly five years ago during the last big egg campaign, and its ban includes the eggs used in all its other products. Waitrose has had a free-range policy on its whole eggs since 2001. no one else bothered back then because it was forgotten about within weeks. the same will happen this time. it always does.

back in 1991 there was the first big EU egg row of my generation. as a result Switzerland banned battery cages. no one else took notice that i am aware of. loads of consumers switched to barn eggs or free range eggs, that was the real change, and that change has continued all these years later, but more than half of consumers still buy battery eggs and i cant see them changing because they arent sensitive to the campaign. threads like this demonstrate that we are still in a situaiton where more than half of consumers really dont care and choose the cheapest egg.

Last edited:
I've kept chickens for a few years now and I can say for sure that free range eggs definitely taste better than battery.

I'll take free range over Duracells anyday! :D

I don't do KFC, nothing to do with the way the chickens are kept I just think it's rank food. Makes McDonalds look like 5 star cuisine.

Last edited:
Thats nice that you dont buy "cheap meat" some ppl cant choose what they buy, its what they can afford.

How is it different?

Chickens are farmed in small conditions, rabbits and small pets are kept in small cages and hutches and not that often let out. Chickens are kept in small cages for a few months, pets for years. (Dave, Mrs Dave, this is in no way aimed at you as your rabbits are super lucky, so please dont take offence)

they could stop being gready buy expencive meat an just eat less of it and more veg.

the pets thing 2 wrongs dont make a right, we need another campain to have minimum sizes for rabbit hutches too. i see loads on sale that a rabbit wouldnt be able to lay down streched out or stand up on back legs :(

that EU legislation was passed in early 2007, before this campaign started. Sainsbury's were the first to stop selling battery eggs as a result of the 2012 EU legislation (april 2007). they did that by choice, not to help chickens but to gain a competitive advantage. everyone will be forced to follow them, few will wait until the deadline in 2012 because it isnt good for business. no one is making decisions based on chicken welfare, it is all about business.

however Marks and Spencer took battery eggs off the shelves nearly five years ago during the last big egg campaign, and its ban includes the eggs used in all its other products. Waitrose has had a free-range policy on its whole eggs since 2001. no one else bothered back then because it was forgotten about within weeks. the same will happen this time. it always does.

back in 1991 there was the first big EU egg row of my generation. as a result Switzerland banned battery cages. no one else took notice that i am aware of. loads of consumers switched to barn eggs or free range eggs, that was the real change, and that change has continued all these years later, but more than half of consumers still buy battery eggs and i cant see them changing because they arent sensitive to the campaign. threads like this demonstrate that we are still in a situaiton where more than half of consumers really dont care and choose the cheapest egg.

I don't understand what your argument is. You said this will be forgotten like previous campaigns for caged birds, but then you say that more people are buying free range eggs and barn eggs and that supermarkets are not selling battery eggs. This earlier campaign led to the leglislation coming into force in the EU, a very different campaign to this one (which is about chickens farmed for food) and one which was started a number of years ago. It may have taken time, but it wasn't forgotten in weeks, it was the catalyst for a long term change.

You also say the supermarkets are doing it for a competitive edge and that is exactly right as more consumers are swayed by these campaigns and voting with their shopping baskets, so again it proves they work. Supermarkets are forced to sell what people want to buy or they go elsewhere.

You'll also find that the 50% of battery egg production is primarily bought by food producers for use in ready made product, where it is harder for the consumer to find the origin of the ingredients. At the end of the day though, they won't be able to buy battery eggs as they will be banned.

The same could happen following this campaign for battery chickens for food.

they could stop being gready buy expencive meat an just eat less of it and more veg.

the pets thing 2 wrongs dont make a right, we need another campain to have minimum sizes for rabbit hutches too. i see loads on sale that a rabbit wouldnt be able to lay down streched out or stand up on back legs :(

Its not about being gready (well maybe it is sometimes)

There was a single mum on there and supermarket chicken was all she could afford, she did like what she saw happen to the chickens, but just cos she didnt like it, didnt magically give her the money to buy free range.

In an ideal world all animals would have have mile upon mile of space to run free and be happy ( till they get killed ) But its not, everything is mass produced, until the price of free range is suitable for all there will still be a demand for "supermarket" meat.

Could not agree with you more Dave!

Take a look at your kids pets, do they have a nice big cage..OR the one you could afford? Do they have enough room? Do you let them out? Would you like to live, eat,sleep and sh*t in the same room everyday of your life?

Think its totally different to the whole farmed chicken thing..... well It is... its worse!!!

Back