Technical It's getting urgent!

Currently reading:
Technical It's getting urgent!

tipo-tinkerer

front subframe probs

Hi, im a fiat newbie here who has just purchased a 1.9td tipo :D
The only problem is under acceleration and braking the fornt passenger wheels moves alot (n)

i take it the subframe is broken and needs replaced ? is it a big job ?
thanks

Re: front subframe probs

Hi, im a fiat newbie here who has just purchased a 1.9td tipo :D
The only problem is under acceleration and braking the fornt passenger wheels moves alot (n)

i take it the subframe is broken and needs replaced ? is it a big job ?
thanks
shouldnt be too difficult, i just a case of getting it high enough but bear in mind it willbe time consuming. where about you stay?

im in scotland, bout 25 miles south of glasgow, only prob is the car is stuck 20 miles away from me and i cant get it back to mine :bang:

Not got a brakes down service. its quite bad, the wheels ends up touching the wheel arch and the steering pulls to the left
would you be willing to post :D
i might need one, cant seem to source one near me :(

Im also needing some more info, do coupe turbo brakes fit ? what interior can i fit ? and also looking to get it lowered, whats a cheapish set of springs and dampers ?

cheers (y):cool:

Last edited:

would post it but it would be expensve due to having to go on a pallet have a try at these places they should be able to source one for you and bear in mind if im not mistake a bravo subframe will also fit (just double check eper for part numbers though)

more than likely, i dont mind spending a little bit on it, it only done 86k, and is in great condition bar some small patches of rust on the front wing, the rest seems solid with no signs of welding :D tax till sept and mot till han.

and i got it for 110 quid :slayer:

Really, are you sure it's the subframe? You've not actually said you could see the subframe moving.. it sounds more like the wishbone rubber bushes are totally shot.

Not saying the subframe isn't dead - but you haven't said the wishbones are good yet.

As for improving brakes, the coupe ones could be too big for the master cylinder to operate. I changed the solid 257mm disks for vented 257s off a Bravo JTD and the reduction in brake fade was very noticable. I'd reccomend that as a next step for brakes over coupe ones due to ease of fitment, and cost... plus the coupe brakes might be too much for the rest of the car to handle!

https://www.fiatforum.com/tipo/37144-tipos-vented-discs.html

As for lowering... Bilstein did/do a 45mm drop which I got for about £250. Seemed pretty good for budget. Think think pic was after fitting them..

Tipo_Side.jpg

im not 100% its the subframe, but i think it is, i wont know for sure untill i can get the car back :(

As for the brakes, im sure i can uprate the BMC, im looking at a coupe turbo transplant when i get another job. So want good brakes :)

I wouldn't start a 16VT conversion from a diesel tipo. Far too much un-necessary work. Get a 16V that's had a blown engine then you're already further with rear disc brakes, petrol tank and fuel lines, sportier interior.... etc etc.

Plus you don't want to be starting with a £100 banger - no offence little Tipo. You need a chassis that will be upto the stress and strain of 200bhp+

pm me if yer interested in what i said,not allowed to mention it in the posts now,err i can't see how coupe brakes would be too much for a tipo.

You can fit coupe turbo 16 v turbo calipers no problem they have a larger slave cylinder size thus more clamping force. I think they are awesome on my race car. Cant image the 4 pot being any better.

Rich

first i need to try and get the car back to mine :bang:
do you think towing it would be ok ?

first i need to try and get the car back to mine :bang:
do you think towing it would be ok ?

Is it taxed/tested/insured? If so then probably depending on how bad this subframe/suspension issue is you could tow it.

Rich,

would the TD master have enough 'umph' to drive a coupe turbo slave cylinder?

yeah it all legal, but while acelerating its fine, but under braking it not good ;)

Suspended front end tow IMO.

Back