General Issues!

Currently reading:
General Issues!

AdyG

Had a couple of issues today with my 2012 TwinAir.

One was when coming to a stop, start/stop should have kicked in but got a beep saying start/stop unavailable and engine cut out. Had to turn off ignition and restart engine. All fine. Never happened before.

On my way home I was queuing in traffic, forgot the car was in third and stalled it... As it stalled the engine oil light came on and went off. Restarted engine all fine.

Anyone had issues like this? It's not happened before.

Also, I'm having real issues checking my oil, I can't for the life of me get a reading, the dip stick is the same colour as the oil and I just can't work it out. Oil was changed in March 2014, not added any since and done 3,500 miles.

Also, seems to be difficult putting the car in reverse, just won't go all the way in and have to mess around quite a bit for it to go in.

Also, my indicator stalk doesn't click in sometimes when I have the wheel turned either way.

I need to have all these issues looked at before my warranty expires in March but I'm always told by the fiat dealer that there may be an £80 charge for them to look at it!?

And breathe.. Lol

One was when coming to a stop, start/stop should have kicked in but got a beep saying start/stop unavailable and engine cut out. Had to turn off ignition and restart engine. All fine. Never happened before.

On my way home I was queuing in traffic, forgot the car was in third and stalled it... As it stalled the engine oil light came on and went off. Restarted engine all fine.

Anyone had issues like this? It's not happened before.

Also, I'm having real issues checking my oil, I can't for the life of me get a reading, the dip stick is the same colour as the oil and I just can't work it out. Oil was changed in March 2014, not added any since and done 3,500 miles.

Also, seems to be difficult putting the car in reverse, just won't go all the way in and have to mess around quite a bit for it to go in.

Also, my indicator stalk doesn't click in sometimes when I have the wheel turned either way.

I need to have all these issues looked at before my warranty expires in March but I'm always told by the fiat dealer that there may be an £80 charge for them to look at it!?

And breathe.. Lol

I don't know about the first item - never experienced it. As for the second; sounds like a normal stall, the engine should've restarted as soon as you depressed the clutch if S/S is on.

The brown discolouration of the dipstick is a nuisance but it shouldn't prevent you from reading the oil level. With the car on level ground, remove the dipstick, wipe it completely, replace it screwing the cap down lightly and then remove it again and you should see a 'wet' area at the bottom, hopefully between the upper and lower limits where it narrows at the bottom. If not, it might indicate your oil level's too low to register(!).

There is a point, about 60 degrees either side of centre where the auto-cancel of the indicators may prevent the stalk from 'clicking in' - that's normal.

As for selecting reverse; make sure the clutch is fully depressed and don't try to engage reverse too quickly, give it a few seconds to avoid a crunch. The FIAT needs more time for this than I have experienced in other cars. If it still won't go in easily you may have gearbox or clutch problems. When my clutch was leaking fluid it first manifested itself as difficulty in selecting reverse.

One was when coming to a stop, start/stop should have kicked in but got a beep saying start/stop unavailable and engine cut out. Had to turn off ignition and restart engine. All fine. Never happened before.........

Also, my indicator stalk doesn't click in sometimes when I have the wheel turned either way.........

Just noticed your are in the 3rd year of your warranty, shouldn't be too much of an issue, certainly wasn't when we owned our old 1.2 POP, all warranty work still done by dealer without fuss except for the fact they apparently have to speak to a Fiat assessor prior to undertaking certain warranty work.

And breathe.. Lol

Ok, let's not forget whose in charge here......it's your car, it's under warranty and you have one or two minor faults that probably need fixing. If you have an issue, call your dealer, tell them you have an issue with your indicator and Start/Stop and tell them it's under warranty and you want it looked at. They won't (if they are a respectable outfit) charge you for 'looking at it' prior to any service.

We've had a couple of issues now with ourt TA and I don't personally mess about, it's straight in to the dealer (not even the dealer we bought it from!) and they fix it, without quibble, as they have just done replacing the instrument cluster and sorting out the Start/Stop again. No charges whatsoever involved!....except for the fuel getting there!

As for the oil, just checked ours before popping it down the dealer, on level ground and yes whilst I also agree there's a pain in the butt issue of the dipstick being an odd colour, all is well with our own, indeed it's on 8500 miles now and hasn't used a drop of oil, either before the last oil change and now on this one 4000 miles after the last service, but then the wife doesn't cane the ass off it and it's rarely out of ECO mode now returning an average of 47mpg or thereabouts.

Last edited:
As it stalled the engine oil light came on and went off. Restarted engine all fine.

No, no, no! NEVER do this at the roadside, no matter how tempting it might be/minor it seems.

The dipstick should be obviously wet looking where the oil is (assuming you wipe off before dipping(!)).

I strongly suspect your oil is so low as to be uncovering the oil pump pick up momentarily and, as per my meanderings on the other twinair oil thread that's on going, interfering with the correct operation of the valvetrain.

You're lucky that you have a working oil pressure sensor- take heed of it before serious engine damage occurs. This is the sort of thing that writes engines off.

Back