General How good are Conti Premium Contact 2s?

Currently reading:
General How good are Conti Premium Contact 2s?

Aussie500nut

Hi all

Have read various threads on tyres on the 500 but have not found what I'm looking for

Our TwinAir Plus came with the Conti Premium Contact 2 as standard and seem to be a reasonable tyre - to me anyway.
Handle well enough and are quiet but with only 3000kms on the clock it is too early to see how they will go distance wise

So specifically, how do they perform wear wise - now I know that's about the same as asking "how long is a piece of string" as driving style is probably the major factor. We drive reasonably conservatively, no traffic light stakes and live in semi rural, so a lot of 100 and 80kph speed limits, the only detriment to "wear factor" being a few rather tight(isk) 90 degree bends that are advisory signed at 50kph that we usually take at 80-90kph - love the 500's go cart like handling

Here in Oz we have a limited range of the 195/45-16 tyres, seems just the Continental, same as original or Pirelli 84V PZero Neros . Both are available through the eBay discount suppliers for about $145-$155 each + delivery and fitting, balancing etc. Right now one of the suppliers is offering 15% discount and free delivery, (fitting etc is extra) so 4 tyres for $588. Seems too good to miss.

One other tyre is Hankook K107 at $178 each and right now they are offering "4 for 3 deal", making the 4 tyres a total of $534 for the 4 of them and about an hours drive to get them. Obviously which ever tyres I get there will be fitting and balancing etc

So has anyone direct experience and comparison of these tyres ?
Any comments greatly appreciated

Conti's are fine, they're a touring tyre so not going to offer the same amount of grip as a pukka performance tyre. Wait till you need tyres, there will always be offers on :) Don't waste a set of barely worn tyres.

Conti's are fine, they're a touring tyre so not going to offer the same amount of grip as a pukka performance tyre. Wait till you need tyres, there will always be offers on :) Don't waste a set of barely worn tyres.

Thanks 306maxi
Actually I won't be taking the existing tyres off until they are almost dead, as is the usual fashion.

Tis a long and complicated story but the short version is basically that my son gave me a set of Pirelli P4 Cinturatos for our 2 year old Lancer that got superseded by the 500. Unfortunately they wouldn't fit the 500 being 215/60-R16s

The purchaser of the Lancer didn't want them so we sold them on Gumtree and now I want to replace them with a set for the Fiat whilst I have the money from the ones I sold. Son will also be able to see a set of tyres waiting to go on, which makes me feel better

I like the Contact 2s, and would be happy with another set the same but am curious as to how they will wear.

OTOH, am also curious if anyone has used the Hankooks or the Pirelli PZero Neros on their 500 and what they thought of them so I can make an informed decision

Son will also be able to see a set of tyres waiting to go on, which makes me feel better

Even if stored in the best conditions possible, tyres age with time and are better bought as close to the point of fitting as possible.

I'd also suggest you check the manufacturing date before buying any tyres - it will be stamped on the sidewall.

Great - thanks for all your replies - will wait till needed

Any advice/experience with the Hankook K107s or the Pirelli PZero Neros on the 500 ?

Hi all

Have read various threads on tyres on the 500 but have not found what I'm looking for

Our TwinAir Plus came with the Conti Premium Contact 2 as standard and seem to be a reasonable tyre - to me anyway.
Handle well enough and are quiet but with only 3000kms on the clock it is too early to see how they will go distance wise

So specifically, how do they perform wear wise - now I know that's about the same as asking "how long is a piece of string" as driving style is probably the major factor. We drive reasonably conservatively, no traffic light stakes and live in semi rural, so a lot of 100 and 80kph speed limits, the only detriment to "wear factor" being a few rather tight(isk) 90 degree bends that are advisory signed at 50kph that we usually take at 80-90kph - love the 500's go cart like handling

Here in Oz we have a limited range of the 195/45-16 tyres, seems just the Continental, same as original or Pirelli 84V PZero Neros . Both are available through the eBay discount suppliers for about $145-$155 each + delivery and fitting, balancing etc. Right now one of the suppliers is offering 15% discount and free delivery, (fitting etc is extra) so 4 tyres for $588. Seems too good to miss.

One other tyre is Hankook K107 at $178 each and right now they are offering "4 for 3 deal", making the 4 tyres a total of $534 for the 4 of them and about an hours drive to get them. Obviously which ever tyres I get there will be fitting and balancing etc

So has anyone direct experience and comparison of these tyres ?
Any comments greatly appreciated

I went 60,000 km's with my conti 2's and they were still easily above legal limits when i changed them. (around 3-4mm left on all 4 at time of changing, had rotated them about 3-4 times until replacement).
Grip? Not so good in my reckoning, try getting Michelin Pilots if they are available in OZ.

I had PZeros on my Grande Punto and I'd have them again. They are responsive and wear well (mind you they only lasted 3 years - 25Kmiles) but roads here are rough... The only issue I had with them is they are rubbish in snow, but I have winter tyres now -so I don't care! Should not be a problem for you I gather...;)

No contest, P Zero's! They are Italian!

I'm sorry, but Pirelli tyres are just not that great, whether they're Italian or not isn't relevant at all, they're not class leading tyres.

To the OP, I was at work when I posted before so couldn't google, but Kmart Auto do Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's which is what came on my 500, they're absolutely fantastic tyres, rubbish in the snow, but I suspect this may be of little importance. I'm sure they'd do a deal. Other tyre places will be able to source things like Michelin's as well, go with a Michelin or a Bridgestone, they'll run rings around a Pirelli.

No contest, PZero's! They are Italian!
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Pirellis we get here in Oz are ma­de in CHINA !!!

Does that make them Itallianeese or Chinallian ??

But then these days isn't everything made inChina ?
Hopefully they are still designed and tested in Italy

In passing, we found the P4 Cinturatos excellent on our 2.0l Lancer
They don't make them in the size for the 500 or I would be very tempted to run with them

I had PZeros on my Grande Punto and I'd have them again. They are responsive and wear well (mind you they only lasted 3 years - 25Kmiles) but roads here are rough... The only issue I had with them is they are rubbish in snow, but I have winter tyres now -so I don't care! Should not be aproblem for you I gather...
To the OP, I was at work when I posted before so couldn't google, but Kmart Auto do Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's which is what came on my 500, they're absolutely fantastic tyres, rubbish in the snow, but I suspect this may be of little importance. I'm sure they'd do a deal. Other tyre places will be able to source things like Michelin's as well, go with a Michelin or a Bridgestone, they'll run rings around a Pirelli.
SNOW ?????????????

Closest we get is this LOL

Beach_Foam.jpg

Thanks all for your replies - I guess that all the better branded tyres will give reasonable service compared to "budget". Reading the specs on them though, most seem to be designed for medium cars - and the 500 is certainly NOT one of them - so my aim here is to try and find the ones that are best suited to the 500.

So without trying to upset anyone, it would seem to be

Bridgestone RE050A's or Michelin (which ones please??)
then Hankooks
over Contact 2s
followed by the Pirelli Pzeros

Last edited:
Back