General How to protect shattered window

Currently reading:
General How to protect shattered window

Piccolo Nero e Bella

Prominent member
My car's been vandalized, again, with someone shattering the nearside 'opera' window*. I've claimed on my glass insurance and that's all OK but the part needs to be imported and apparently will take 2-3 months to arrive downunder (the downside of living on the arse end of the planet).
1709803990183.png

In the meantime I want to prevent the glass from collapsing, especially into the car. It appears the window tint is holding it for now but does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can use to secure it? I thought a sheet of contact vinyl on the outside might work, though it'll preclude being able to see out of course. Additionally a cut-to-shape piece of thin ply on the inside?

* That's what the glass people called it - I'm more of a Heavy Metal man myself... 🙃

Last edited:
Condolences.

Seems we have the same problems wherever you are in the world.

Additionally a cut-to-shape piece of thin ply on the inside?

That's what I'd do; the idea of some sort of self adhesive waterproof film is also a good one. Whatever you put on the inside, I'd make sure there's a good overlap to the frame, so it can't get sucked out. You could even use strips of strong, waterproof tape, on both sides, which might be easier to cut and apply.

Don't underestimate the aerodynamic forces which will conspire to rip it all out of the car if you drive at any speed. You don't want this disappearing on the freeway.

Last edited:
Nice to see there are tossers the world over!!! :mad: Id use the vinyl as its flexible and strong plus you can overlap onto the frame but id put it on both sides as an extra precaution!. P,S you might have to slow down for a while! :unsure:
Is it not possible to get a used window from a scrap-yard or breakers?- 2/3 MONTHS for gods sake!!!! its not as though your in a 4th world country is it?! why so freaking long!

Condolences. Seems we have the same problems wherever you are in the world. That's what I'd do; the idea of some sort of self adhesive waterproof film is also a good one. Whatever you put on the inside, I'd make sure there's a good overlap to the frame, so it can't get sucked out. You could even use strips of strong, waterproof tape, on both sides, which might be easier to cut and apply.

Don't underestimate the aerodynamic forces which will conspire to rip it all out of the car if you drive at any speed. You don't want this disappearing on the freeway.
Thanks JR;
Yes I'll have to keep the speed down - not that it's ever all that high (and I avoid motorways), but I'll have to dodge pot-holes and speed humps too. I usually drive with the roof down so perhaps that'll help to equalize pressure.

Nice to see there are tossers the world over!!! :mad: Id use the vinyl as its flexible and strong plus you can overlap onto the frame but id put it on both sides as an extra precaution!. P,S you might have to slow down for a while! :unsure:
Is it not possible to get a used window from a scrap-yard or breakers?- 2/3 MONTHS for gods sake!!!! its not as though your in a 4th world country is it?! why so freaking long!
Thanks Steve;
The dckhds, like the poor, are always with us - last time it was a fender kicked in, very obvious from the shoeprints in the dust - serves me right for driving a 'girly' car with flowers on it I guess. I'm just grateful he didn't choose to smash the back window; that would probably mean a new fabric roof. 😮
The local council, whose car park it is, have a CCTV camera nearby so I've contacted them, and tomorrow I'll report it to the police - probably pointless but hey-ho...

"The tyranny of distance", that's just the price we pay for living this paradise! :confused: I'd thought about a second-hand piece of glass but I doubt the insurance would countenance it - and they're paying for it. Even getting it off a wreck in one piece might be fraught anyway. The delay is a PITA but as long as the car is returned to original condition I'll put up with that.🙃

I've given up trying to understand international postage. We have friends in the USA, I can send stuff there and it arrives in a few days, quite cheaply, and no duties. They post stuff and it takes weeks, 3 to 4 times the cost, then we get hit with import duties, then handling fees for charging us this extra money.

Bear in mind that FIAT's are not ten-a-penny here and they've probably replaced about six 'opera' windows since 2008, so they're not gonna want to keep too many in stock.:giggle: When the installer fitting my under-seat subwoofer popped a pretensioner in 2013 the car was off the road for six weeks awaiting a new one from Italy, and I'd only had it four days!!! Of course the new window is likely coming from Poland.

Japanese efficiency or Italian laissez faire - I know where my money is...! 🙃

I've given up trying to understand international postage. We have friends in the USA, I can send stuff there and it arrives in a few days, quite cheaply, and no duties. They post stuff and it takes weeks, 3 to 4 times the cost, then we get hit with import duties, then handling fees for charging us this extra money.
When I was working for Australia Post back in the 70's the US Mail was renowned for being slow, especially if you were dealing with someone on the far side of the country. Italy's mail service was just a standing joke.

Thanks folks. It's a bit rough around the edges because while the vinyl could be lifted from paintwork, and even (gently) from the glass, once it touched the rubber, however lightly, it stuck! Pressing it into the corners with a fingernail actually cut through. It'll have to do - I can't remove it now without pulling out the glass but a second layer might help - I've got enough spare vinyl.

I did consider a piece of perspex John but I felt it would probably be overthinking it. As long as I'm careful it should hold. The riskiest thing would be to slam the door, and in a tintop that would likely result in a shower of glass but the ragtop flexes and absorbs the increased pressure to an extent.

Speed? Moi? Yeah, I will moderate my headlong pace - but just a little. There's a bump in the road I hit every Thursday which I will definitely avoid tomorrow! I struck it once as a passenger in an Abarth and I think my bum left an imprint in the floorpan! 🙃

What about a bit of perspex if it's going to take months?
If it was like old windows, set inside 'H' section rubber, perspex would work. But I think this is glued in, like the windscreen and rear windows.
If it does blow out, a piece of perspex, glued in with bath sealant, or similar, might work. The 'glue' needs to be strong enough to hold, but easy to clean off when the new window arrives.

Back