How does the 500 stack up to the competition?

Currently reading:
How does the 500 stack up to the competition?

If it flies, floats, or *****, rent it. :D
Flies, floats, ....
Ah, an inflatable mistress!
rolleyes.gif

I really wish the majority of car buyers/owners would do this.

We thought about selling our 14 year old Clio when we bought the 500TA, but it wasn't worth it. We've kept it as a second car. If we don't need a second car in the future, we'll still keep it on the drive ready for when we do need a second car.

I know people who buy a car, keep it two years, then sell it and buy another ............... ad infinitum.
Why?
I don't see the point at all.
You wouldn't do that with a freezer or washing machine. :confused:

TTFN
Mick.

I think some people change their car on a regular basis to "keep up with the Jones's".

Personally, I'm with you: I bought my car last year, when it was 6 years old, and I have every intention of keeping it as many years as I can. I traded in my 1st car when it was 8.5 years old, due to rust issues, and I traded in my 2nd car when it was 10 years old due to it needing an expensive repair, relative to its value and replaceability.

I reckon a valid competitor is the Renault Twingo. It's got interesting styling, and much more interesting engineering - rear engine and drive. The guy next door has just bought one, so it's been parked next to my 500. Very similar in size, the Renault looks a fraction taller. I had a quick compare of prices, and the top trim (Dynamique) 90bhp Twingo is under 12k whereas a TA85 Lounge is nearly 14k. Not sure how the equipment compares, but you could afford to put lots of extras on the Twingo for the difference. It also comes with a 4 year warranty. Would I swap? Well, if I had neither, I'd probably get the 500 because I prefer the looks, but if I were changing I'd give the Twingo a try just as a change.

I think some people change their car on a regular basis to "keep up with the Jones's".

Personally, I'm with you: I bought my car last year, when it was 6 years old, and I have every intention of keeping it as many years as I can. I traded in my 1st car when it was 8.5 years old, due to rust issues, and I traded in my 2nd car when it was 10 years old due to it needing an expensive repair, relative to its value and replaceability.
Tbh a lot of people are worried about the cost of owning a car outside of the warranty period and think it's going to be expensive.

My wife has a newish 500 1.2 and loves it. I run a 2010 Mini Cooper S Clubman, great to drive, great steering, grip and get up and go.

But for relaxed driving the 500 has a feel good factor the Mini lacks. And the 500 interior and switch-gear are so much better.

I drive the Mini for preference, but when we're out together, usually take the 500 and I don't feel in the least short changed. It feels relaxed and solid, and is pleasant and airy with the glass roof.

By myself I enjoy the driving characteristics of the Mini and don't worry about the rubbish 'retro' interior and poor switch-gear ergonomics.

So why compare? You buy and drive what you like, who cares what somebody else thinks is better or worse.

I reckon a valid competitor is the Renault Twingo. It's got interesting styling, and much more interesting engineering - rear engine and drive. The guy next door has just bought one, so it's been parked next to my 500. Very similar in size, the Renault looks a fraction taller. I had a quick compare of prices, and the top trim (Dynamique) 90bhp Twingo is under 12k whereas a TA85 Lounge is nearly 14k. Not sure how the equipment compares, but you could afford to put lots of extras on the Twingo for the difference. It also comes with a 4 year warranty. Would I swap? Well, if I had neither, I'd probably get the 500 because I prefer the looks, but if I were changing I'd give the Twingo a try just as a change.

Yes it's an interesting car and definitely a 500 competitor.

I like the quirky engineering but the styling doesn't follow through the promise imho.

Have to say, 'er indoors is very happy with her new 1.2 i10. It's a darn sight more practical for her than the 500 ever was. In Premium spec as her car is, she has cruise control, which she now uses all the time on the motorway, something she never had the option with on the 500, the car has four doors and although I've never been a fan of DRL's, the i10 has a pretty mean set which look a lot better than the 500.

Other plus's, the i10 gets more mpg than her TA gave her (driven no differently and using Shell V Power), the pollen filter comes out in less than two minutes instead of the 40 minutes it took to get the 500 one out, and the car has disc brakes all round and boy, does it stop!

As I said before in a previous post, we don't regret ever owning a 500, but after owning two, we wouldn't go back. The 500 is a great looking little car, but far too expensive for what it is and just too many niggly issues, well documentated in forums just as this. Oh, we definitely don't miss the Stop/Start system, it never seemed to work properly on either car we owned and we don't have it on the i10, so no great loss to us.

As for dealer experience, our local Hyundai dealer is superb, customer service and sales, excellent. I hope they continue this when it comes to service time. As we got such a good discount and a reasonable PX figure for our old TA, we paid up front for the 3 year service plan which works out at £116 per year. Plus of course, there's a standard 5 year warranty, a little more than Fiat offer.

Yes, I think the I10 and its near twin the Kia Picanto are sharply styled small cars, and you've mentioned some of their attractions. My neighbour with the Twingo previously had a Picanto, which they also liked. Do you miss the surge of torque from the little TA turbo, though? I'm still loving it after over 4 years. I wouldn't buy another 500 though, simply because I like trying different cars, and there are so many good ones to choose from.

Yet, oddly, Renault seem to have sold about four so far in the UK. I know of one locally compared to dozens of 500s (and the 500s aren't all 08/58/09 plates, by any stretch of the imagination). I reckon that's down to FIAT having captured the retro small car market already, and people are either sticking with them or realising (rightly or wrongly in the case of the twingo, I don't know) that you pay a substantial premium for the styling, and hence going back to "normal" cars.

Have to say, 'er indoors is very happy with her new 1.2 i10. It's a darn sight more practical for her than the 500 ever was. In Premium spec as her car is, she has cruise control, which she now uses all the time on the motorway, something she never had the option with on the 500, the car has four doors and although I've never been a fan of DRL's, the i10 has a pretty mean set which look a lot better than the 500.

Other plus's, the i10 gets more mpg than her TA gave her (driven no differently and using Shell V Power), the pollen filter comes out in less than two minutes instead of the 40 minutes it took to get the 500 one out, and the car has disc brakes all round and boy, does it stop!

As I said before in a previous post, we don't regret ever owning a 500, but after owning two, we wouldn't go back. The 500 is a great looking little car, but far too expensive for what it is and just too many niggly issues, well documentated in forums just as this. Oh, we definitely don't miss the Stop/Start system, it never seemed to work properly on either car we owned and we don't have it on the i10, so no great loss to us.

As for dealer experience, our local Hyundai dealer is superb, customer service and sales, excellent. I hope they continue this when it comes to service time. As we got such a good discount and a reasonable PX figure for our old TA, we paid up front for the 3 year service plan which works out at £116 per year. Plus of course, there's a standard 5 year warranty, a little more than Fiat offer.
yes TA has rubbish brakes. 1.4 brakes far better = )

Yet, oddly, Renault seem to have sold about four so far in the UK. I know of one locally compared to dozens of 500s (and the 500s aren't all 08/58/09 plates, by any stretch of the imagination). I reckon that's down to FIAT having captured the retro small car market already, and people are either sticking with them or realising (rightly or wrongly in the case of the twingo, I don't know) that you pay a substantial premium for the styling, and hence going back to "normal" cars.
also lets face it Renault has an even worse reputation than Fiat does! French cars have really died recently. Remember the days when everyone drove a Peugeot? Yeah no more!

I think French cars have been unfairly rubbished by the likes of Clarkson. Renault now give a 4-year warranty, unlike most "European" brands.
As far as French cars "dying", in the UK, some 2014 sales figures are as follows:
Renault: 66334, up 43.7%
Peugeout: 103566, down 1.8%
Citroen: 83397, up 6.4%
This compares with, for example
Fiat: 67162, up 11.6%
VW: 214828, up 10.7%
BMW: 148878, up 9.8%
Toyota: 95812, up 6.1%
Honda: 53544, down 3.8%
These figures are from the SMMT and have been quoted on Car Magazine's website - makes quite interesting reading if you are an anorak like me!

The DS3 is of course a competitor, slightly larger yes. I really like them, not retro but there's definitely flair in their design(although some of the combinations that some customers specify are a little ott for me) and a pretty good drive too.

Definitely more interesting than the German or Korean offerings.

Last edited:
Agreed, Russ, the DS3 was under consideration when we got our 500 - smart looking motor.

Maybe your 500TA has rubbish brakes, but ours are excellent.

Crisp, clean, progressive, and great. I couldn't be more pleased.
500TA 85hp Sept 2011 model.

Regards,
Mick.
I have the 1.4 not the TA but when i test drove the TA one of the first things i noticed were how much worse the brakes were. If you havent driven the 1.4, I guess you wouldn't know any better as the TA and 1.4 are not that far apart weightwise but the 1.4 has both bigger, ventilated front discs and rear discs instead of drums.

Yes, I think the I10 and its near twin the Kia Picanto are sharply styled small cars, and you've mentioned some of their attractions. My neighbour with the Twingo previously had a Picanto, which they also liked. Do you miss the surge of torque from the little TA turbo, though? I'm still loving it after over 4 years. I wouldn't buy another 500 though, simply because I like trying different cars, and there are so many good ones to choose from.

My wife said only the other day, that the one thing she does miss, is the 'fun' button! No, nothing like that!....the off 'ECO' button which obviously allows the turbo to open up and give it that extra ooommphh. I also liked the exhaust note that came out of the rear end, though I don't miss the constant black sooty deposit that I had to regularly clean off.

The thing is though, the positives of the new i10 far outweigh those of the 500, certainly for us. The door handles are proper solid bits of kit which won't come off in your hand, the suspension set up is better, brakes are far better and the whole hands free bluetooth kit for the phone is spot on. The engine is super quiet, so much so, I've actually thought on several occasions, the engine wasn't running when sat at the lights. I also like the fact the door mirrors appear far more solid with indicator flashers built in. All in all, a 'normal' car without any of the fun retro looks of the 500, but in my own humble opinion, a very much better built car. (y)

Oh I'm sure that the 1.4 has "better" brakes, it's just that our 500TA has very good brakes and not in any way "rubbish" as you described.

In fact they don't need to be better at all as they are already very good indeed.

The TA has bigger front discs than the 1.2 and I think they are the same size as the 1.4 front discs.

I'm not really sure that rear discs are even needed on a normal car. Drums have a lot going for them, and I reckon they are all that is needed on the rear of the huge majority of cars. Rear discs are a marketing ploy, making the prospective owner think that they have a performance vehicle ............ when they probably don't.

Thanks,
Mick.

I'm not really sure that rear discs are even needed on a normal car. Drums have a lot going for them, and I reckon they are all that is needed on the rear of the huge majority of cars. Rear discs are a marketing ploy, making the prospective owner think that they have a performance vehicle ............ when they probably don't.

Thanks,
Mick.
Correct.
Properly set up drums are equally good as disc's unless you're stupid enough to get them too hot. In a "normal" car such as a 500 disc's are a marketing ploy. I suspect they are actually cheaper than drums especially when you bring engineering rationalisation and logistics into the equation.

My G Wagen has drums on the rear about the size of 500 wheels:D and they are a pain to maintain and ensure they are adjusted correctly but jeez do they work!

My 500S brakes aren't stunning but they stop the car:)

Back