How does the 500 stack up to the competition?

Currently reading:
How does the 500 stack up to the competition?

Re: Euro6 1.2 Throttle Response, Hill Start Issues & Watchdog report

The answer to that question is a matter of engine choice, if it has the Turbo prince engine in the MINI then run...like the wind. Or alternately budget to have the head off every 30 to 50k for decoking..oh and regular timing chain changes.

Not badly built, badly designed so failure is very probable. In terms of visible quality MINI wins hands down obviously, but given the price difference it should.

You have to feel for auditt - talk about frying pan to the fire

In terms of visible quality MINI wins hands down obviously, but given the price difference it should.
Exactly. I just love the feel of Audi switch gear. Does that mean that the electric window switches are actually better quality than say a 500?

The 500 has a hard plastic dash. Does that mean it's worse quality than a soft touch BMW dash?

I find the visible un painted metal on the bonnet catch quite offensive on the 500. Does that mean it'll fail quicker than a Toyota bonnet release mechanism?

No. But they certainly don't match the marketing perception, if you wish to be taken in by such stuff so be it. They are at best average and certainly no better than the mass market stuff, probably worse than Ford and the majority of Japanese manufacturers.

Yes you did ;)

You have to feel for auditt - talk about frying pan to the fire

Depends on the model given regular oil changes (more regular than BMW recommends) the none turbo prince unit fitted to regular coopers isn't anywhere near as problematic. Also If it's brand new it'll have a 1.5 triple.

I personally define quality as something that works year in year out with only scheduled maintenance. So I voted with my feet and bought Japanese. Interior wise it isn't special, although they have got better over the years but for day in day out use with no surprises it does it.

Last edited:

No doubt I'll get lots of abuse for saying this, but upto a point, I don't get why people make such a fuss about soft touch interior plastics. Given the choice between a stylish interior made out of 'cheap' hard finish plastics and a bland/naff design made out of "quality" soft touch plastic, personally, I know which I'd rather have!

Depends on the model given regular oil changes (more regular than BMW recommends) the none turbo prince unit fitted to regular coopers isn't anywhere near as problematic. Also If it's brand new it'll have a 1.5 triple.

I personally define quality as something that works year in year out with only scheduled maintenance. So I voted with my feet and bought Japanese. Interior wise it isn't special, although they have got better over the years but for day in day out use with no surprises it does it.

I have had japanese cars and on the forums it's mostly talk about how to clean fluff from the seats, and did i buy the right colour.
But i don't think most people equate that to quality, i think it's much more to do with how the plastic's feel, the build and the image it has,

I had a toyota yaris and i would put it up against any mercedes for how the switches worked everything fitted together,everything worked perfectly, but how many would say it has the same quality as the mercedes.

Last edited:

No doubt I'll get lots of abuse for saying this, but upto a point, I don't get why people make such a fuss about soft touch interior plastics. Given the choice between a stylish interior made out of 'cheap' hard finish plastics and a bland/naff design made out of "quality" soft touch plastic, personally, I know which I'd rather have!

But would you have bought the punto if it didn't look like a Mazerati, and still be one of the best looking supermini's :D

I almost bought a punto sporting about 10years ago and i am not ashamed to admit it was because of the looks

But sort of back on topic, if only because i have to go to bed soon (being a internet warrior is very time consuming) i still think auditt did the right thing.

But would you have bought the punto if it didn't look like a Mazerati, and still be one of the best looking supermini's :D

I almost bought a punto sporting about 10years ago and i am not ashamed to admit it was because of the looks

To be perfectly honest, I think the interior of my Grande is absolutely superb: the best looking supermini interior as well as the best looking exterior!

It's the same with the 500: it's interior may be made of "low quality" plastics, but it's the most attractive interior design, so that and the Panda are still the city cars I would buy.

But sort of back on topic, if only because i have to go to bed soon (being a internet warrior is very time consuming) i still think auditt did the right thing.
Agreed, I enjoyed the banter though.

I doubt we'll ever figure what the definition of quality is on a forum(y)

Quality. Engineering definition = fit for purpose and meeting specification. It matters not what its made of. User perception of quality, is visually appealing, plusher. My old Dodge had a hard plastic dash. Lower quality material in car buying terms, but it fulfilled the function of a dashboard and didn't rattle. Therefore good quality. Its reasonable that Auditts Fiat experience was of poor quality. Thats not to say the Mini will be different. - but I hope it is.

Definition of "quality" on its own is meaningless, because you have to qualify it.
Good or poor for instance, and even excellent or dire. Perhaps better or not as good. Even then, it has to be referred to another thing or attribute.

"Quality" is a mass noun. It isn't a normal noun or an advective.

Regards,
Mick.

I love all the mini bashing that goes on in these threads. Always comes across as people trying to justify their choice in car and why their 500 is e best.

Lefts be honest though if the 500 is the best car in the world fiat wouldn't be chucking them out a dozen a time at £10k each while the rest of the motoring world charges a lot more for what a lot of people hear are claiming to be inferior cars.

The 500 is great at doing what it does and being a fun little car that's cheap and enjoyable. Why do people always feel the need to pitch it against its perceived rivals. The likes of mini don't ever draw comparison with the 500. In fact the new mini clubman has been touted by the motoring press as being better than BMW in quality design and style while using the same mechanics and engines.
Fiat on the other hand are still churning out a 7, nearly 8 year old design with no signs of a new model and a dodgy facelift.
You still can't even get cruise control as an option on the 500. Hard plastics are fine but in most fiats they are cheap, while the other manufactures fill there cars with gloss finishes stainless steel and chrome. The new 500 tries to up the quality stakes with new switch gear and touch screens but they still use the same plastics and part fabric part fake leather seat combinations.
Take away the cuteness and the quirky design along with the 500 heritage and the 500 is far more comparable to a vw up a Hyundai i10 or a current KA which it shares its platform with but sells terribly

I would never say "everyone" about anything.
"Everyone" is an absolute statement, meaning every single person.

I must say, the many people we meet when we're out and about in our red 500TA are very impressed, and some are quite envious.

When I first saw a 500, it was the first car in many a long year that turned my head. I'm not a petrol-head in the slightest. Performance and tyre-spinning and 0-60 are just boring terms. The art and pleasure of driving isn't in outright performance, reliability, economy, the way it takes corners or powers along a motorway in complete silence and comfort.

It's in ENJOYMENT, and we're all different. We enjoy different things.

I enjoy the sound and turbo-surge of our 500TA. I enjoy the looks and the quirkiness, I enjoy the way (some) folk admire the car. I enjoy the better economy that we've ever had with any car in our lives, I enjoy the zero VED and the cheap insurance. I enjoy smiling when I drive, I enjoy the mysteries under the bonnet and I enjoy knowing that the car isn't perfect.

None of us are perfect, even me. I enjoy not being perfect, and I enjoy our 500TA not being perfect as well.

Greetings to everybody,
Mick.

I would never say "everyone" about anything.
"Everyone" is an absolute statement, meaning every single person.

I must say, the many people we meet when we're out and about in our red 500TA are very impressed, and some are quite envious.

When I first saw a 500, it was the first car in many a long year that turned my head. I'm not a petrol-head in the slightest. Performance and tyre-spinning and 0-60 are just boring terms. The art and pleasure of driving isn't in outright performance, reliability, economy, the way it takes corners or powers along a motorway in complete silence and comfort.

It's in ENJOYMENT, and we're all different. We enjoy different things.

I enjoy the sound and turbo-surge of our 500TA. I enjoy the looks and the quirkiness, I enjoy the way (some) folk admire the car. I enjoy the better economy that we've ever had with any car in our lives, I enjoy the zero VED and the cheap insurance. I enjoy smiling when I drive, I enjoy the mysteries under the bonnet and I enjoy knowing that the car isn't perfect.

None of us are perfect, even me. I enjoy not being perfect, and I enjoy our 500TA not being perfect as well.

Greetings to everybody,
Mick.

But you would happily contradict people for no good reason.

A merry goat day to all,
Reginald

Last edited:
Both the wife and myself have 500's. The wife has a 14 plate 1.2 lounge and mine is my signature.
The wife went from a 52 plate MK2 1.2 Punto to the 500, and I went from a 57 plate 2.0D Jaguar X Type to the 500.
Now we had looked at all the small class of cars, simply for lower insurance, VED and running costs. Believe it or no the Jag was insurance group 30 !!!!!
The wife had narrowed her car choice to :- Audi A1, BMW Mini, Fiat 500 and Citroen DS3. So off we went around different dealers, purposefully dressed in jeans and T-shirts. The sales guys in Audi and BMW just looked at us like trash and ignored us, the guy at Citroen did talk to us as did the sales guy at Fiat.
So just to make sure we went dressed in good smart gear and lo and behold the sales guys at Audi and BMW came straight over, in my opinion " bunch of stuck up *****" and I did point out they ignored us when we were there in jeans and T-shirts so therefore we would not be going back. Also the wife didn't like the switch gear in the mini and thought for what it was it was overpriced, and she thought the Audi was bland and was overpriced.
The Citroen DS3 was nice but she couldn't get a good seating position as she felt too low as she likes to sit high in the car, also she didn't like the way the floor is at the bulkhead on the passenger side as her dad wouldn't be able to get in and be comfortable.
The 500 for my wife ticked all of what she was looking for in a replacement for the Punto, a good price, low mileage car in the right spec and a colour she loves. The seating position and passenger space was spot on and she has always loved the looks of the 500, job done with an excellent dealer experience.
I chose the 500 after driving the wife's, but opted for the 105 HP twinair for the extra power.
The 500 for the both of us is a fun cheap car that makes us smile and relax when we drive them, and because its a small city car and everybody knows that the "snobbery" you get with other brands isn't there ( well maybe by some judging by posts I've read on here).
I was originally planning to get another Jag, the new XE but with the "diesel vs petrol" debates that always go on, and how if " you buy a diesel jag its not a proper Jag" comments I thought to myself " sod it, I don't want to be a part of this snobbish group anymore". There are some great Jag drivers who I'm still good friends with, so not all are like that. Also when driving a Jag you always get idiots in German cars tailgating and trying to push you, as well as all the chavs in souped up fart boxes doing the same.
For both of us the 500 was at the right price, cheap to insure and run, great fun to drive, easy to park and has just the right amount of kit without it being too much. Also other drivers seem to be more patient when behind the 500 and don't tailgate as much.
For us the 500 suits our needs just right.
The pros and cons about any car could go on for eternity, as what's good for one isn't for another. Its all down to personal choice, and isn't that what makes us all so interesting ?
I can never understand why on car forums that members seem so intent on slagging off different models of cars, like on here where the 500 has been called " crap, cheap and nasty " etc etc. Its not helpful and not very big of the person who posts it, in my own personal view " if you are so disillusioned why not go somewhere else, like to the forum of your new car". All this type of stuff does is spoil the forum for those who enjoy being here, after all some of us do know the 500 isn't to the standard of that required by dimmer pilots ;-).

I can never understand why on car forums that members seem so intent on slagging off different models of cars, like on here where the 500 has been called " crap, cheap and nasty " etc etc. Its not helpful and not very big of the person who posts it, in my own personal view " if you are so disillusioned why not go somewhere else, like to the forum of your new car". All this type of stuff does is spoil the forum for those who enjoy being here, after all some of us do know the 500 isn't to the standard of that required by dimmer pilots ;-).

I've noticed that as well. This is the only forum I'm on purely and simply because I own a Fiat, and I like Fiats! I get a lot of abuse on here from certain people because I dare to say how I'm extremely happy with my Fiat, and have no desire to own anything else. I get people on here saying just how inferior Fiats are to everything else on the road, and it does annoy me tbh. There's people on here who don't own a Fiat anymore, and don't even like Fiats, so like yourself, I do wish they'd remove themselves from this forum, and allow us to share our enthusiasm in peace.

To be fair there are ways in which the 500 is cheap, nasty and poorly built and or designed.... To ignore this and pretend that the 500 is the best car in the world is just a daft idea. This forum has always been about discussion, if you don't like that then make your own facebook group up and only let certain people in :)

Back