Technical help - snapped bonnet cable on X1/9

Currently reading:
Technical help - snapped bonnet cable on X1/9

orangina

My very sweet orange 1300 has been sitting in a garage for way too long as it has flat battery which i can't get to because the bonnet cable has snapped with the bonnet shut. How can one get into to it? Is there any trick? Checked Haynes and no help there. You can't even dismantle to get in, or am I wrong? Any suggestions at all would be very very welcome. I don't want to crowbar its pristine body work...
Thanks.

There is no tension on the bonnet catch, the cable just pulls on a hook that keeps it down. If the cable snaps (and they do, sadly) then you can just lift the bonnet up as normal. The engine cover and the rear luggage bay are another matter...

Unfortunately this is not the case here -there is no cable and the bonnet is resolutely shut. At my wits end to know what to do...

If you can access the engine bay then you can jumper another battery from the passenger seat in order to start vehicle. Then drive to a garage with a lift so they can get at your bonnet latch (*possibly depending on where located) from underneath. However you do get it open and are replacing the cable you may want to consider a trick used among MGB owners which is install an emergency latch pull through the fender well fashioned out of hi-tensile wire.

This is a 1300 car, so the 1500 lever setup that jimbob referred to doesn't apply. The 1300 has a self-latch mechanism like the engine cover & boot. On UK RHD cars, the cable handle is under the dash by the steering column. If the snapped cable section is at the handle end then just cut back the outer and use some grips on the inner. If it's snapped further in, then probably only solution is to butcher one of the plastic scuttle grille air vents and access the catch from there :( Alternatively, drop the whole heater unit out and maybe there's some scope for getting a hand into the scuttle area via the fresh air intake hole (if you're a bit agile that is :eek:). Are you sure there's not an emergency pull cable already (like the engine cover one)? I'll have a look at mine over the weekend...

so any suggestions of how to open the bonnet with a jammed release and no cable? :confused:

Oops did that reply before seeing your helpful reply ics19. There is no cable to pull at all unfortunately, and yes I was thinking perhaps hacking out one of the vents, but without a X1/9 to reference it is hard to know if that will be enough to get to the lock. If you find there is an emergency pull cable that would be a real result! Would really appreciate you having a peek to see.
Thanks

OK, bit of success breaking into my own car - without any damage (y) But it's not that easy and might cause a few :bang: on the first few attempts. What you need is a piece of 3mm fencing wire or a good old wire coat hanger. Bend the end over at 90 degrees for about 12mm - no need for more than this as the back of catch is against body and you'll just loose leverage. Bend the wire with a slight curve as per pictures and turn over other end after about 48cm - this give you some idea of how far you need to pass the wire into the scuttle and what way the hooked end is pointing. Poke the wire through the RIGHT side scuttle grille about 4 diamonds from front edge and 4 from outer most edge. When the end of wire is about inline with outer edge of grille then the hook end is about the right place in centre of catch (about 48cm :cool:) the place to hook is about 3cm up from the scuttle bottom - you'll need to give it a fair pull, but if there's no give at all, it's likely you've hooked something other than the lever. You can put a bit of pressure on the grille to minimise any chance of it breaking but worse case you'll just put a rub mark in it. Good luck :)

BTW, Didn't find any emergency cable, so would be an idea to route one in for sure. Also didn't mention before, but the last 1300 Lido editions actually had the same catch setup as the later 1500's and not this self latch type :yum:

Attachments

• 1300_bonnet_catch.jpg
    1300_bonnet_catch.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 1300_bonnet_catch_hook.jpg
    1300_bonnet_catch_hook.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 1300_bonnet_catch_side.jpg
    1300_bonnet_catch_side.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 1300_bonnet_catch_top.jpg
    1300_bonnet_catch_top.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Wow, what an incredibly helpful and detailed reply, you're a real star. The car is in a garage an hour away (all part of the frustration) so I will try this this coming weekend.
Big thanks

Wow, what an incredibly helpful and detailed reply, you're a real star. The car is in a garage an hour away (all part of the frustration) so I will try this this coming weekend.
Big thanks

I have just had the same problem with a 55, :bang:manaed to get the recovery service to jump start it by getting underneath and connecting onto the alternator, :slayer:I know this dose not get your battery changed but at least it gets it started, even if it is dead, it should at least allow you to get it somewhere. If you do find out a easy way for a non mechanic to get the bonnet open let me, the recovery service gave up after an hour!:bang:

Back