General Help a newbie out! Parking issue

Currently reading:
General Help a newbie out! Parking issue

Fiatpearly

Hello
Hope you’re all doing well and having great time 🌸
I got a question, im totally new to owning cars I’ve never driven any car and my first car is fiat 500C dualogic 2023 ( italy , not electric )
And its gear look like this

Im still not sure which way is the right way to park the car, Ive been looking here and there and found different answers, should I put it on N or R?
Also does anyone have the user’s manual booklet? My car just came with warranty booklet

Thank you so much

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi, 🙂
The Dualogic is a MANUAL gearbox.. So 5 gears 😉

Like any manual it wants to be in Neutral when you start
AND use the handbrake 😉

I am guessing you don't experience and Mountains.. Steep hills can be awkward for new owners of dualogic

It is in "Neutral" condition until you add engine Revs to get the Clutch to bite point.. SO CAN ROLL BACK

Your search for a manual,

Look in this forums Downloads section
🙂

Hi, 🙂

AND use the handbrake 😉

I am guessing you don't experience and Mountains.. Steep hills can be awkward for new owners of dualogic

It is in "Neutral" condition until you add engine Revs to get the Clutch to bite point.. SO CAN ROLL BACK

🙂
My gearbox is a mix between manual and auto , I attached a photo but idk why it’s not showing up

I have the N — R — A/M - +
Yes i dont experience any mountain or steep hills

I’ve been parking my car on N ( then use handbrake and turn off my engine) since i bought it cause I cant decide which one is the right one yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 14
Dont you love designs that take well known tried and tested methods and just throw them all in the bin.
Who in their right mind came up with that gearstick arrangement.

Hello
Hope you’re all doing well and having great time 🌸
I got a question, im totally new to owning cars I’ve never driven any car and my first car is fiat 500C dualogic 2023 ( italy , not electric )
And its gear look like this

Im still not sure which way is the right way to park the car, Ive been looking here and there and found different answers, should I put it on N or R?
Also does anyone have the user’s manual booklet? My car just came with warranty booklet

Thank you so much
You are not alone - this is my question too! It would be nice if an automatic dualogic driver could share their experience

Hi, 🙂

AND use the handbrake 😉

🙂
I am not sure if this is helpful to new drivers - who simply would like to know a basic sequence of parking the fiat 500 automatic - when you say Revs and talk about biting point, it makes little sense to those who do not understand manual driving

Neutral hand brake fully applied wheels turned towards the kerb/foot path
Hi John, would you be able to advise/comment: the dualogic automatic bleeps 5 or 6 times when you park it in N. Is this a warning not to leave it in N or a reminder that it should be left in N? Some people are suggesting that you leave the automatic fiat in A/M or gear 1 when parking though to a newbie and a person who knows little about cars and car mechanics it seems to be more confusing than it should be. Is leaving the car in gear a manual driver technique? A nice straightforward answer to the fiat dualogic N issue, seems to be gold dust!

I am not sure if this is helpful to new drivers - who simply would like to know a basic sequence of parking the fiat 500 automatic - when you say Revs and talk about biting point, it makes little sense to those who do not understand manual driving

What about when I replied to you days ago,

Did that make sense to a New Driver?

What about when I replied to you days ago,

Did that make sense to a New Driver?
In some ways your information was helpful but in other ways not so much because there is much contradictory information across different forums about using this gearbox when parking. Having read this thread, it seems to be quite a common issue for new drivers (driving dualogic automatic 500) and I have yet to read a straightforward answer (that avoids mechanical insight - most of us newbies learning in automatic are not taught the mechanics of car engineering). If anyone drives the dualogic, it would be really helpful to hear their experience and how they park up the vehicle (in a simple A to B sequence). It may seem like a silly question to experienced drivers.

My gearbox is a mix between manual and auto , I attached a photo but idk why it’s not showing up

I have the N — R — A/M - +
Yes i dont experience any mountain or steep hills

I’ve been parking my car on N ( then use handbrake and turn off my engine) since i bought it cause I cant decide which one is the right one yet.
When you park the car in N, does the car beep 4/5 times and 'N' flash on screen?

When my wife had her Dualogic we'd just leave it in the gear it was in when it stopped, first or reverse, and apply the handbrake. The box would select neutral on startup. I hated the DL. 🙃
Hi...your wife parks the dualogic 500 in gear or using N mode? The more I read about parking the dualogic the more confusing it is!

We always left the Dualogic in the gear it was in when it stopped and never put it into neutral (N) for parking, Like in a manual this is a precaution against handbrake failure if parked on any sort of sloping ground. Likewise, as John has said, turn the front wheels into the kerb if facing downhill or away from the kerb if facing uphill. On a mild slope it is possible to forget to apply the handbrake and the car may not immediately roll but could do so when you are getting out (or in).

When I learned to drive back in 1970 I was taught to never trust the handbrake alone to hold the car. 🙃

Last edited:
I never park in neutral I always park in first gear I’ve never driven an ‘automatic’ though but from what I’ve read the Doulogic isn’t an automatic anyway.

I lost a car years ago when I parked it in neutral and the handbrake brake slipped causing the car to roll down a hill.
In the 90's my brother destroyed his company car in a similar manner. I sent him a half-brick, anonymously, dressed up in a box labelled thus;

1714955488657.png

Don't think he ever figured out who it came from! 🙃

We always left the Dualogic in the gear it was in when it stopped and never put it into neutral (N) for parking, Like in a manual this is a precaution against handbrake failure if parked on any sort of sloping ground. Likewise, as John has said, turn the front wheels into the kerb if facing downhill or away from the kerb if facing uphill. On a mild slope it is possible to forget to apply the handbrake and the car may not immediately roll but could do so when you are getting out (or in).

When I learned to drive back in 1970 I was taught to never trust the handbrake alone to hold the car. 🙃
Thank you that's helpful. I am now starting to wonder why there is an N option on Fiat dualogic!

Back