General Parking Sensors

Currently reading:
General Parking Sensors

Turnbulla

Hi, looking for some help. We have a yellow triangle alert coming up on the dash and a message regarding parking sensors. I have replaced all three sensors, replacement module in the back and still alarming. I have now purchased equipment to check and reset. Alarm resets but as soon as I put it in reverse I get all three sensor codes saying open or short circuited. Anyone got any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_9669.jpeg
    IMG_9669.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9670.jpeg
    IMG_9670.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9671.jpeg
    IMG_9671.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9672.jpeg
    IMG_9672.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9673.jpeg
    IMG_9673.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
If you've replaced a module "in the back" you may need a proxi alignment.
Go into MES and the 'Body' ECU, and do a Proxi Alignment, if you haven't already.
Tried that and it said it wasn’t required. Will try again, just to confirm. Thanks

Yip, so over rode the proxy alignment and carried out anyway, Still same three error codes as soon as reverse is selected. Disconnnected rear loom, wee skoot of wd40, still same errors. Have just purchesed a 2nd module with the same year stamp as mine. Replacement I got was a 2015. Btw, thought reverse switch but lamp is ok and as far as I can see, only two pinned switch so guessing not that…thanks though👍

you have a short to ground, fortunately for you the problem appears to be between the module and the sensors. you've already replaced the sensors so presumably you know where to look to remove them from the back of the bumper, next you need to follow the wiring from the sensors back into the car where they enter the boot through a rubber grommet behind the bumper, then up to the module, usually in the left and side of the boot behind the back wheel on fiat's. but you've replaced that as well so you'll know where to find it.

We have all heard about the issues on hear with fiat 500 wiring between the car body and the boot lid, I suspect the same type of wiring would have been used for the parking sensors also. The insulation on the wiring breaks down causing short circuits (which is what your fault is saying is the problem) the wires can also short to the body of the car if the rubber grommet is damaged or missing. finally of the car is knocked or bumped the wiring can get pinched and short out, and so need replacing as well.

Basically you have exhausted swapping bits, you have a short circuit, you now need to follow the wires to find the short.

Some great info and ideas coming through, thanks…really appreciated. An additional module and loom coming. If still same then it’s a wire/wires within the boot I would imagine. Thanks again and will keep you posted👍

Hi If it come down to searching and tracing the wiring! firstly budget enough TIME to do the job!! its likely gonna be a lenghty process so insuring you give yourself the right enviroment to do it is very important!.

If you have a garage make sure you have a good light source to check in all the nasty little nocks and crannys also have a quality L.E.D torch to hand as well.( and maybe a heater this time of year!)

If working outside choose you day carefully you dont want to get cold and you certainly dont want it to RAIN! I lay on a piece of old carpet to keep me more comfortable and insulated from the ground! wear warm but not to restrictive clothing!.

A supply of clean rags to wipe off years of muck and dry any wet areas is useful!.

I have a large bowl of soapy water and a towel as well -as if you get dirty you dont want to have to keep getting up and going back indoors to wash your hands( annoys the boss as well!:rolleyes: ).

A note pad to write down anything you find but cant deal with straight away!

Make sure your "electrical repair kit" is fully stocked! and that you did replace that reel of tape when it ran out last time didnt you!!?

If you find yourself getting knackered fed -up or frustrated then STOP! you will make mistakes and silly errors that make it all the more difficult in the long run!
GOOD HUNTING!

Back