Off Topic Grrr pothole!

Currently reading:
Off Topic Grrr pothole!

jameshobiecat

Established member
Got diverted off the a27 into Chichester last night and hit a huge pothole on a mini-roundabout. Ripped a hole in the side wall of the front left continental sport contact 5.

I'm very glad that I'd installed a full size spare and jack kit in place of the gel kit. Getting the wheel off the hub was a mission though, the car had only been serviced 6days previously (with brake fluid change) but it was stuck fast. Could the garage have changed the fluid without taking the wheel off?

West Sussex county council will be getting a bill soon.

Got diverted off the a27 into Chichester last night and hit a huge pothole on a mini-roundabout. Ripped a hole in the side wall of the front left continental sport contact 5.

I'm very glad that I'd installed a full size spare and jack kit in place of the gel kit. Getting the wheel off the hub was a mission though, the car had only been serviced 6days previously (with brake fluid change) but it was stuck fast. Could the garage have changed the fluid without taking the wheel off?

West Sussex county council will be getting a bill soon.

Remember to take pictures of the damage and the pot hole
Get some sort of measurement as well of the pothole if you can

Some cars you can get to the bleed nipples without removing the wheels, but it certainly dont make it easy
Drum brakes on rear - no problem - just crawl under bumper
But fronts often requires full lock to make it easier

Ziggy

In Devon a pothole must have been reported prior to the accident, measured to be at least 4cm deep and supposedly not caused by 'worse than average weather', this is why I report online every single pothole I come across.

In Devon a pothole must have been reported prior to the accident, measured to be at least 4cm deep and supposedly not caused by 'worse than average weather', this is why I report online every single pothole I come across.

yea i do too if its a bad one
Some get filled - some dont tho :(

I have 1 on my street - its been highlighted for repair - but a week later nothing done :(

Ziggy

Three new sc5s ordered for £402 from asda tyres (needed two anyway).

I doesn't matter what their local "by-laws" / council policies say about pot holes. At the end of the day their faulty road surface caused damage to your property, if they don't compensate you of their own backs you can take them to small claims court. I know because I've had to do it twice ;) :D.

I've heard that more people are having to go down the small claims route lately because the councils just won't cough up, a friend of mine had to replace a wheel/shock absorber/spring and lower wishbone on her MG ZR a few weeks back due to a pothole that had been photographed and reported but they are making her go down the small claims route as they are claiming that the pothole is right next to a large drain grill and thus has been created by abnormal weather.

Last edited:
The wheel rim looks ok, a slight (5mm long) nick out of the rim but not where the tyre seals and it's hardly noticeable. Doesn't look buckled at all.

I agree but its a nice vague 'get out' for the local councils.

past 5 years or so they have blamed the cold frosty snowy weather for wrecking the road surfaces to cover up for their distinct lack of investment in road repairs... round here so far this winter ive only had to deice the car about 5 times... so suppose they will have to blame the rain this year......

Well I've needed 2 x Springs 2 x shocks and now need 2 wheels and tyres. If only I could remember where it happened, I remember it happening just not where :(

You could find another pothole in the same local authority and say it was that one.

Forgot to add that I did about 200miles over the weekend with a suneew or some chinese rubbish tyre on the front left. On Sunday night's wet drive from Sussex to bath the a27 Chichester roundabouts lead to some hilarious understeer and a good deal of flickering from the traction control light on exit. It was quite a laugh but shows what a difference good tyres make.

Back