General Grande punto sporting M-jet 1.9 mpg economy

Currently reading:
General Grande punto sporting M-jet 1.9 mpg economy

i get 32.7mpg :(, and i would say i drive fairly smoothly. mixture of short journeys and longer ones. i think my mpg is pretty poor as i was expecting higher mpg readings when i got the car.

i get 32.7mpg :(, and i would say i drive fairly smoothly. mixture of short journeys and longer ones. i think my mpg is pretty poor as i was expecting higher mpg readings when i got the car.

32 MPG? Jesus Christ.

And that's an MJet yes?

You either drive it like you've nicked it all all times, or there's something wrong there. I drive my car hard, and really would struggle to get it below 37MPG...

32 MPG? Jesus Christ.

And that's an MJet yes?

You either drive it like you've nicked it all all times, or there's something wrong there. I drive my car hard, and really would struggle to get it below 37MPG...

:eek: :yeahthat:

I'm seeing 32mpg at the mo too, nearly all town driving last two days (with the accelerate/decelerate cycle for speedbumps every 50 feet you care to go in Swindon - between sets of traffic lights that is ;)). I'd imagine some more extended runs at 70mph will bring that right back up though. Seems about on a par with my Panda 100hp at the mo, though bigger tank adds some handy range!

32 MPG? Jesus Christ.

And that's an MJet yes?

correct, m-jet.
i wouldnt say i drive it hard, sometimes i make the thing move, but i still think 32mpg is very low.

Then think we will have to agree to differ. My GPS is without doubt the
least fuel efficient car I have owned in the past 10 or so years. Certainly tries to make up for it it many other ways. However, I would have to say that overall it really has been a bit of a disappointment.
Anyway, so what. This site is all about the lived experience of owning a Fiat. My experience has tended to be pretty poor. Others, including you, have been more fortunate.
Life is way too short to get overly concerned about cars!

try ecodrive, it's what it's there for, made 10 mpg to what i first thought i could get out of mine, simple small things when driving can make MASSIVE difference to overall MPG, i'd advise to give it a go

try ecodrive, it's what it's there for, made 10 mpg to what i first thought i could get out of mine, simple small things when driving can make MASSIVE difference to overall MPG, i'd advise to give it a go

No offence mate. But I do know how to drive a car (been doing it quite successfully for some 30 odd years). I tried the 'ecodrive' when it first arrived and found it to be no more than a gimmick.

Did a 34 mile trip last night including 2 cold starts and averaged 51.6 mpg.

A and B roads only, cross country, lots of 3rd and 4th gear use, some 5th.

I dont get it guys I really dont....

Did a 34 mile trip last night including 2 cold starts and averaged 51.6 mpg.

A and B roads only, cross country, lots of 3rd and 4th gear use, some 5th.

I dont get it guys I really dont....

Checked carefully on the way to work today, can see 50-60mpg if I'm steady (barely touching accelerator) at 70mph, drops to 40-odd at 80mph. Any sort of acceleration results in sub-30's, putting foot down drops to 11mpg.

I read a lot on running in when I bought my Panda 100hp and it seems it can have a large effect on how then engine works throughout it's lifetime, maybe some were run in "properly" and others not? Maybe it's the oil you use, tyres or some other factor?

Seems Ffoxy has a "good'un" in any case!

Checked carefully on the way to work today, can see 50-60mpg if I'm steady (barely touching accelerator) at 70mph, drops to 40-odd at 80mph. Any sort of acceleration results in sub-30's, putting foot down drops to 11mpg.

I read a lot on running in when I bought my Panda 100hp and it seems it can have a large effect on how then engine works throughout it's lifetime, maybe some were run in "properly" and others not? Maybe it's the oil you use, tyres or some other factor?

Seems Ffoxy has a "good'un" in any case!

Might be right Jimrod, but I didnt run mine in, bought it as an ex-demo with 1,500 miles on it, who knows what crazy peeps drove it in that time lol! I will say that a lot of start-ups (3 or 4 in a morning with an hour or 2 in between) has dropped it down to 47.8 mpg. Still very acceptable to me that.

I do check my tyres are correct pressures twice a week, and use Shell Helix oil. Not much traffic around Telford though, very little stop-start stuff due to lack of traffic lights and the plethora of roundabouts.

Might be right Jimrod, but I didnt run mine in, bought it as an ex-demo with 1,500 miles on it, who knows what crazy peeps drove it in that time lol! I will say that a lot of start-ups (3 or 4 in a morning with an hour or 2 in between) has dropped it down to 47.8 mpg. Still very acceptable to me that.

I do check my tyres are correct pressures twice a week, and use Shell Helix oil. Not much traffic around Telford though, very little stop-start stuff due to lack of traffic lights and the plethora of roundabouts.

Aye, traffic lights are the bane of my life, absolutely ridiculous around Swindon - my 1 mile drive of dual carriageway to the main A-road to work for my daily commute has 6 sets of lights, all filtered to be red as you hit them if you stick to the speed limit. So bad for the environment with all the stop/start as well as "road rage"!

My MPG is almost as p...y as yours. We both live in South Lanarkshire. Is there a connection other than the well known fact about our crap roads?

You want to drive from Stafford Park, past Hortonwood at peak times...jeeez...I can walk faster at 5 oclock...

Just cruched the numbers after checking past fuel receipts and it seems my trip computer reads upto 4mpg out...strange as it fluctuates between 2-4mpg too generous not constant at all? :confused:

Just filled up at the same garage, same fuel...trip computer told me I was getting 45.4mpg, whereas in reality I was averaging only 41.5mpg... So much for a remap improving economy, just buggers up your trip computer from what I can see.... :mad:

I wonder why this is?

My MPG is almost as p...y as yours. We both live in South Lanarkshire. Is there a connection other than the well known fact about our crap roads?
haha, that could possibly be the reason then! yup the roads sure are crap at some places.

put £20 in today and re-set the trip, lets see what i get out of it now. :cool:

You want to drive from Stafford Park, past Hortonwood at peak times...jeeez...I can walk faster at 5 oclock...

Just cruched the numbers after checking past fuel receipts and it seems my trip computer reads upto 4mpg out...strange as it fluctuates between 2-4mpg too generous not constant at all? :confused:

Just filled up at the same garage, same fuel...trip computer told me I was getting 45.4mpg, whereas in reality I was averaging only 41.5mpg... So much for a remap improving economy, just buggers up your trip computer from what I can see.... :mad:

I wonder why this is?

:D There are always exceptions to traffic Shroppy... Try B'ham city centre around Hagley Road at the same time... all will become clear! Trust me, as someone who has the "pleasure" of driving in many major towns and cities in the UK Telford has NO traffic problems lol!

Anyhow this Economy thing does my head in, too many variables to be of any use, I only know what my car does and how to make it do it.

I'm a happy bunny! (y)

According to the computer:
Mixed driving - a bit of urban but mostly motorway and A-roads - gives me around 45-47 mpg.
Hard driving - drops to around 40 mpg.
Best I've managed - with gentle acceleration and sticking rigidly to the speed limit - 56 mpg.
I think these figures are a bit disappointing. Given the nature of the car and comparing it to similar diesels, they should be around 5 mpg better all round.

According to the computer:
Mixed driving - a bit of urban but mostly motorway and A-roads - gives me around 45-47 mpg.
Hard driving - drops to around 40 mpg.
Best I've managed - with gentle acceleration and sticking rigidly to the speed limit - 56 mpg.
I think these figures are a bit disappointing. Given the nature of the car and comparing it to similar diesels, they should be around 5 mpg better all round.

Fair enough, I suggest you check back through the Posts in this Thread though, some would die for that sort of economy. But be mindful that the MJet engine is quite old now, and other manufacturers such as BMW with their latest 320d have only just stepped up their game in light of the "save the planet" lobby, the credit crunch and fuel cost rises. Lets hope the next gen 16valve diesels from Fiat give some a better perspective on things, after all, the now discontinued 8 valve MJet range are considerably cheaper than other "similar diesels", mine was only £9,500 2 years ago.

Edit :- also remember this is a 1.9 Sporting not a 1.9 Bluemotion / Eco warrior

Last edited:
Sorry for this but, i was wondering, i just came back from a trip.I did totally 900 klm on the freeway and did those in average speed 140-150 klm/hour.My computer says 6.5 litres/100 klm.Is that good?I can't turn those numbers in mpg!I tried but i failed!:cry:H E L P!

Sorry for this but, i was wondering, i just came back from a trip.I did totally 900 klm on the freeway and did those in average speed 140-150 klm/hour.My computer says 6.5 litres/100 klm.Is that good?I can't turn those numbers in mpg!I tried but i failed!:cry:H E L P!

Around 43.4 Mpg I believe.

Back