General Got my Orange MJ

Currently reading:
General Got my Orange MJ

Not sure it would invalidate your warranty - check with your dealer. Normally they'll allow you to mod but if something goes wrong and it's connected with the mods you've done then they wont cover you.

Roll on 4500 miles. Trying very hard to keep it below 3000rpm, but i can feel the little turbo wanting to play.

Like Scooby said don't worry about running it in, its really not necessary. I was easy-ish on mine for the first 300miles, though i was going upto 3500rpm after the first 100. By the time i got to 300miles i was taking it up to 4500rpm at least once a day.

5600miles on, it hasn't used a drop of oil and performance has noticably improved.

Like Scooby said don't worry about running it in, its really not necessary. I was easy-ish on mine for the first 300miles, though i was going upto 3500rpm after the first 100. By the time i got to 300miles i was taking it up to 4500rpm at least once a day.

5600miles on, it hasn't used a drop of oil and performance has noticably improved.

What's the rev limit on diesels?

What's the rev limit on diesels?

There isn't one as such, well thats not strictly true, there is a 'soft' limiter. In the manual it says that it will stop accelerating.

I tried it and found that I could get to about 5300rpm before it would stop accelarating although there was nothing worthwhile over 4700rpm.

If i'm trying to accelerate quickly i'll take it to 4500rpm before changing up.

Last edited:
Lovely Panda Shortie! You must be so happy to have finally received custody of him/her :D Out of interest how long did you have to wait in the end?

The colour is great, and to be honest I like it with the coloured B-posts.

Which options did you go for to end up with the electric mirrors?

Looks nice.

If you did decide to do the black B post, buy a sunstrip from just about anywhere and stick it on yourself. Soapy water from a spray bottle on the panel, then squeegee it out. Cost you about a tenner, tops.

Funny others mention the suspension softening up, mine seems to be doing that too :)

There isn't one as such, well thats not strictly true, there is a 'soft' limiter. In the manual it says that it will stop accelerating.

I tried it and found that I could get to about 5300rpm before it would stop accelarating although there was nothing worthwhile over 4700rpm.

If i'm trying to accelerate quickly i'll take it to 4500rpm before changing up.

Wow i thought diesels cut out a lot sooner. Cool.

Lovely Panda Shortie! You must be so happy to have finally received custody of him/her :D Out of interest how long did you have to wait in the end?

The colour is great, and to be honest I like it with the coloured B-posts.

Which options did you go for to end up with the electric mirrors?

Thanx yknivag,

It took over 10 weeks. I was told 8 weeks initially but then told 12. Not too bad.

I went for:

Skydome
Aircon
Sliding/split seat
Orange paint
Alloys

I'm struggling to believe my trip computer at the mo. Its telling me my average mpg's is 65+ (easy driving at 40-60mph). This evening I manage to get 70-80mpg. Next time I fill up i'm gonna fill to the brim and work it out myself. Too good to be true (the journey times were both 20mins)

You'll Love yours when you get it. I'm very happy with it.

Looks nice.

If you did decide to do the black B post, buy a sunstrip from just about anywhere and stick it on yourself. Soapy water from a spray bottle on the panel, then squeegee it out. Cost you about a tenner, tops.

Funny others mention the suspension softening up, mine seems to be doing that too :)

Mmm, thanx for the tip! Will pop into a car spares shop tomorrow

Last edited:
Got my orange MJ yesterday and i'm well chuffed. I'm very happy about its extras. I don't think I would off bothered with the sunroof but it is nice to drive with the elements just above you, if a little noisey. Aircon is very effective. You freeze in seconds :D

:bang:Just rang the dealer today to check on my Samba Orange MJ order (ordered in Feb) and it's arrived at last but not as ordered!
I ordered both Skydome and Air Con (after they told me I couldn't have climate control), but now the dealer has told me that you can't have both, and my car has arrived without the Air Con! I know some of you have had both on your MJs so I'm really cheesed off. Did you order an Air Con pack and then add on just a Skydome rather than the Skydome Pack which has some of the same extras as the Air Con pack?
The other problem is, I specified the interior to be Sand/Grey instead of Orange/Grey. I asked the dealer to double check that this option was available several times and that if it wasn't available I would re-think my order. They never got back to me on this point so I thought it must be OK. I suppose I can ask for a set of Fiat seat covers to hide the orange seats, or a smart pair of sunglasses but that's not quite the same!
After all this time I really don't want to go through the whole ordering process and waiting again. This car had lots of extras added (ESP, airbags, split seats) so I know I won't be able to find the same in stock anywhere. Should I bite the bullet and re -order knowing it will cost me at least an extra £500 because prices seem to have risen since my order - the cost in February was under £8000 and now it's £8480 for the same spec with the same dealer. Of course I'll have the cost of the Air Con to knock off if I take the original order, so I suppose it's a cheap car anyway! Or, do I pick the car up and just cruise along with the sunroof open and my sunglasses on to hide the orange seats? I did originally choose the Skydome as the first extra and then added the Air Con at the last minute. :bang:
What do you lot think?:worship:

If you're anything like me, you'll always regret not getting the spec you wanted and it'll ruin the enjoyment of the car. My first step would be to approach the dealer and ask them how they are going to rectify the situation - presumably your original order spec is written down somewhere?

If they won't do anything, you're left to either give in (and see how much money you can get out of them to compensate) or re-order the spec you wanted (at the price you agreed) and wait another 12 weeks. Other option is to take you business elsewhere and use one of the internet brokers like drivethedeal, etc who may be able to get you a better price and provide a better service.

With a new car I personally would not be compromising :D

Chris

:bang:Just rang the dealer today to check on my Samba Orange MJ order (ordered in Feb) and it's arrived at last but not as ordered!
I ordered both Skydome and Air Con (after they told me I couldn't have climate control), but now the dealer has told me that you can't have both, and my car has arrived without the Air Con! I know some of you have had both on your MJs so I'm really cheesed off. Did you order an Air Con pack and then add on just a Skydome rather than the Skydome Pack which has some of the same extras as the Air Con pack?
The other problem is, I specified the interior to be Sand/Grey instead of Orange/Grey. I asked the dealer to double check that this option was available several times and that if it wasn't available I would re-think my order. They never got back to me on this point so I thought it must be OK. I suppose I can ask for a set of Fiat seat covers to hide the orange seats, or a smart pair of sunglasses but that's not quite the same!
After all this time I really don't want to go through the whole ordering process and waiting again. This car had lots of extras added (ESP, airbags, split seats) so I know I won't be able to find the same in stock anywhere. Should I bite the bullet and re -order knowing it will cost me at least an extra £500 because prices seem to have risen since my order - the cost in February was under £8000 and now it's £8480 for the same spec with the same dealer. Of course I'll have the cost of the Air Con to knock off if I take the original order, so I suppose it's a cheap car anyway! Or, do I pick the car up and just cruise along with the sunroof open and my sunglasses on to hide the orange seats? I did originally choose the Skydome as the first extra and then added the Air Con at the last minute. :bang:
What do you lot think?:worship:

I wouldn't touch a car without aircon. That would be a serious deal breaker for me.

Personally i'd do without the skydome because if you are going to use aircon you won't have the sunroof open at the same time will you?

I personally wouldn't have it because for me aircon is something i just can't do without, but if youre not bothered bout having the aircon (you mention it was added last minute) then just ask for the aircon option price to be refunded.

Having looked on fiat.co.uk it shows that Samba Orange can only have orange/black seats, and that you can only specify the aircon or skydome, not both. Quite how cars have arrived with both options, im not sure.

Also im guessing the dealers ordering system doesn't match up with the configurator on fiat.co.uk, or the dealer in question didn't check the order properly.

Ive had another play on the configurator and you can specify the Skydome on the Eleganza, which already has Climate Control as standard, the Eleganza also has Electric Mirrors i believe, and obviously the Alloys. Im therefore thinking that someone got in an ickle pickle in Poland when making Shorties car and he's ended up with a 'Dynameganza' - a sortof cross between a Dynamic & Eleganza. (Dynamic coz its a Multijet & has A/C not Climate, and Eleganza coz it has Skydome and Electric Mirrors).

As for the more recent post with regard to the car arriving differrently to ordered, i stick by my previous comment, i think it's specced as it should be on the configurator, and someone hasn't passed on the news from the factory to the dealer, or from the dealer to the customer.

Shortie could have something special going on with his lil orange MJ tho, the Dynameganza. (y)

I still don't think that Aircon is an essential. If I had to choose between Skydome and Aircon, Skydome would win every time... :)

:yeahthat:

A/C is one of those things that more and more cars are coming with as standard and people come to expect (like PAS!) and I would suspect at resale time it could make a big difference.

That plus you'll be able to hold a conversation with your passengers without having to shout above all the wind noise ;)

Chris

Back