General Goodbye to my Stilo

Currently reading:
General Goodbye to my Stilo

My other half since passing her test has not liked driving my Fiat Stilo dynamic 3 door 2004 car:mad: as she learnt to drive in a newer car with all mod cons. Today we have orderd a new Fiat 500x and have been given a part Exchange price of only £250 :eek:

We have there'd it to the father in-law for the part exchange price but if he decides not to take it I'm wondering if I should try sell privatly. The car has only done 45000 miles, it has not gone around the clock as before I met my other half it was very rarely used as I have a work van.

Last year it had a new cam belt and breaks done, it's just had a new ECU as the other one failed, there are some scratches (some normal ware & tare others thanks to local chavs :bang:)

It has connect Nav with built in phone although as the navigation never allowed for post codes its early been used and the phone again has only been used a few times although it needs a new SIM card holder.

The colour is blue and has some damage to the factory fit alloys. I'll be sad to see the old girl go, it's been a very expensive ornament having done an average of 4500 miles a year since new.(n)

My other half since passing her test has not liked driving my Fiat Stilo dynamic 3 door 2004 car:mad: as she learnt to drive in a newer car with all mod cons. Today we have orderd a new Fiat 500x and have been given a part Exchange price of only £250 :eek:

Last year it had a new cam belt and breaks done, it's just had a new ECU as the other one failed

is it a 1.6..??:confused:

250squid is a joke, but they know you got money cuz you are buying brand new car and they try to scam you, nothing new from dealers

I know the problem is that I've been stung on second hand cars in the past:bang: As its 12 years since I last bought a car I want a car that's were going to enjoy with the options we want (y)

It's worth more then that in easily strippable parts.

Your dealer is being a bit rude to be honest. To give you some perspective... Vauxhall routinely offer upto 2k for anything as a trade in. Others are similarly bit not quite as generous.

If you've not yet got the order finalised, I'd go back to them and tell them to try that deal again.

Can I have the Connect Nav? Please?

You can earn a lot of money than 250 offered if you sell it as parts...

To be fair to the dealer... we don't know what kind of deal the OP has been offered on the 500X. They could be shaving off £5000 already.

As a car... it's a 12 year old car, and a model which wasn't toooo popular even when it was new, made by Fiat (unreliable, eats your children and it rusted away six years ago etc.) and with a not the most popular engine. In that context £250 is "about right" if you're taking a p/x (it will get sold to a trader who will spend s few quid getting it shiny and sell it for around £600 maybe).

I'd sell the car privately, rather than P/X. Don't listen to these scoundrels who want you to break it. If it's clean and low miles it's a pity, just to get a few extra quid (and then pay for the privilege of getting someone to take away the bits that are left on your driveway for the next 10 months). :D

Ralf S.

Ralf! I don't want him to break it. I'm with you in that if it's still a nice example it would be worth selling privately. But I used the breaker point to show the dealer is being rude with the px.

I don't think the Stilo is any worse then most cars of the same age. Fiesta and Focus love to rot the brake pipes because Ford thought it wise to run the lines around the radiator so they get covered in dirt etc. The French are truly terrible at electrical wiring and the Germans want too much for parts. If you were sensible you'd buy Japanese, but since we are in the Stilo forum we aren't sensible. They aren't as bad as people make out though.

A few years back i did a guided tour of the Jaguar factory at Castle Bromwich. It was impressive but I couldn't help notice the number of cars pulled off the line for fault fixes at different stages. We got to the end of the track....they went to fire up a finished car...it wouldn't start due to an electrical fault.

I don't bring that up to make fun of them. But it shows that even with modern production techniques and a car carrying a premium, there's still always the potential for a bad one to roll off the lines.

Sounds fairly typical. Around 6 years ago, I was on the point of trading in my then 6 year old stilo for a brand new punto, but the deal fell through when we were offered £300 trade in - I said to the salesman at the time that if he made it £500 we would go for it (this was a six year old car with less than 60k on it) but he refused and we kept the car and still have it today!

Quite honestly you can't give them away.

I know what you mean, but you still seem to see relatively elderly high miles Stilos advertised for more than just peanuts, which in a way is a pity cos I would happily buy another as a third car if a nice one came up for not much money.

Managed to sell mine privately for £630, had quite a lot of interest too, definitely sell it privately. I probably could have gotten more for mine but wanted a quick sell. It was a '54 plate and had ~60k miles, quite a bit of cosmetic damage too.

Can I have the Connect Nav? Please?

Nik.... if I knew you wanted a Connect Nav, I could have brought you one from the UK. I passed close to where you are when I drove from Constanta to Igoumenitsa in June.

The navigation part of a CN+ wouldn't be much use to you. The map disc for Greece only contains street level mapping for Athens and Thessaloniki

Back