Technical Gearbox Failure

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox Failure

Noticed a whine on my car the other week coming from the front left, usually at speeds over 30mph. Like a remote control car! Still does it with the clutch dipped. Took the car into the dealer, who has said the gearbox needs to be stripped out and checked, could be the bearings! This will cost £600 on its own just to strip the box out let along the replacement! The car is still on its orginal discs and pads all round, original rear tyres yet the box fails first! Its a 1.9 120bhp Elegenza thats done just over 50 000 miles. I did a search on Vauxhall forums. Their is a lot of people with failures of the M32 gearbox it seems :(

Last edited:
Noticed a whine on my car the other week coming from the front left, usually at speeds over 30mph. Like a remote control car! Still does it with the clutch dipped. Took the car into the dealer, who has said the gearbox needs to be stripped out and checked, could be the bearings! This will cost £600 on its own just to strip the box out let along the replacement! The car is still on its orginal discs and pads all round, original rear tyres yet the box fails first! Its a 1.9 120bhp Elegenza thats done just over 50 000 miles. I did a search on Vauxhall forums. Their is a lot of people with failures of the M32 gearbox it seems :(

Another one joins the refurb gearbox team! Mine went at about 34k... Get yourself an extended warranty!

If its a fiat main dealer they won't strip the box, mine said they couldn't as they don't have the specific tools for stripping the m32 gearbox down, they should just submit a claim to your warranty company for a swap for a refurb unit

Could be any bearing whining tbh, and they won't find out wat exactly is at fault, I find it frustrating that they don't really care wat the problem is. Mine whined like crazy on acceleration, they put a refurb one in and now it whines when slowing down in every gear. All after 2k. Will be going back in next week to get swapped again

I Alsohope people who read these gearbox threads realise what a "failure is" as so far don't recall anyone's gearbox actually completely failing unlike the vauxhall ones. No matter what people think on the reliability of these multijets, mines never let me down so far.

I Alsohope people who read these gearbox threads realise what a "failure is" as so far don't recall anyone's gearbox actually completely failing unlike the vauxhall ones. No matter what people think on the reliability of these multijets, mines never let me down so far.

Mine has.. Due to the design fault of dumping water on the back of the alternator it failed one morning going to work before I joined the motorway. Lost all power.

I think a couple of Alfa MiTo owners have needed new gearboxes in their TB 155 engined cars, which also have this gearbox.

Well worth a search on Alfa Owner.

It's not an M32 box in the Tjet.

From what I've read over on VXR and other various sites many of the M32 failures are occuring on remapped and modded cars, which are mostly running very high torques which the box cannot cope with.

Glad my Mjet is running a milder map and not a gearbox crunching Red Dot map! ;)

It's not an M32 box in the Tjet.

From what I've read over on VXR and other various sites many of the M32 failures are occuring on remapped and modded cars, which are mostly running very high torques which the box cannot cope with.

Glad my Mjet is running a milder map and not a gearbox crunching Red Dot map! ;)

Mines not even mapped and used mainly on the motorway

Mines not even mapped and used mainly on the motorway
Motorway = constant single gear use or a lot of wear on one section of the gearbox (suggest bearings on 6th?).

M32 boxes are fine I have done 40k on mine and its ok, bit twitchy on the 3rd when cold but that could be clutch issues.

M32 boxes on Abarth or the Diesel beasts with 6 gears

Just had my M32 box done. Warranty is useless and i refuse to pay £500 just for it to be stripped and them to then say no we are not paying out.

Took it 1st gear transmissions in Dartford, had the car approx 5-6 hours and come back out with a new box. £800 all in.

No doubts I will be back sometime in the next 2 years for another one.

Possibly one of the worst gearboxes ever designed.

Just had my M32 box done. Warranty is useless and i refuse to pay £500 just for it to be stripped and them to then say no we are not paying out.

Took it 1st gear transmissions in Dartford, had the car approx 5-6 hours and come back out with a new box. £800 all in.

No doubts I will be back sometime in the next 2 years for another one.

Possibly one of the worst gearboxes ever designed.

picked mine up last night, also cost £800 all in :bang:

Back