Technical Gearbox / CV Seals?

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox / CV Seals?

BigAdam

Hey there,

I'm having a hell of a time with my Fiat Panda 1.1 Gearbox. The seal on the input shaft, and the bearing went so had the box out to replace it.

I ordered all my bits, but they sent me the wrong CV shaft / output shaft seals. So I reused the old ones.

Guess what is leaking.

The ones they sent seemed very over sized and steel. Old ones are all rubber/plastic and the new ones just didn't sit right at all.

I was hoping someone could link me to some quality ones, and the rubber O ring that fits on the housing for one of the seals as well. Sits behind the little 4 bolt plate.

Oh, and do I need any sort of thread sealer on those bolts?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• b4c81a40-c1ac-4c10-95b8-4e975e2f3a70.jpg
    b4c81a40-c1ac-4c10-95b8-4e975e2f3a70.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 48
Ah diamond. Is a seal a seal, or do I need to go with XYZ Brand?

Also any idea on the O-ring or just use ... a new one. Or RTV?

No need to undo the bolts

Both sides just pop out and push in

It's probably been in there for 10 years so might be very tight

Is this the one you need

FIAT 14460180

Screenshot_20240226_092338.jpg

I use this RTV for the gearbox to bellhousing and selector to gearbox flanges. I remeber doing I bit a research after noting the one I was originally going to buy stated not to be used with gearbox oil in the spec sheet

Some don't specify either way

This I one of few from the cheap end does

I was under a car recently I did years ago and prodded some, it hadn't degraded, a bit like push your thumb nail into a tyre but a bit stiffer

Keep mine in the top of the fridge, it's been opened about 5 years ago and still good to use

IMG_20240226_094055.jpg

I can't remeber where I got from but collected it from Crewe, GSF or Euro Car Parts is likely

It's no big deal what you use as the gap is almost non existent so no oil can get in anyhow

Last edited:
If you have accidently undone this nut and the spindle has fallen down slightly

IMG_20240226_115706.jpg

You really should check all the gears are selected correctly before starting the car

Someone has manged to damage a gearbox by unbolting this nut instead of popping the cables off

Had a poke under during lunch, its deffo leaking from the CV shaft seal.

So thats good, happy about that and its not something else. Got the parts ordered just got to wait for them to show up.

Back