Technical Front wiper problem mk1

Currently reading:
Technical Front wiper problem mk1

woolman84

Hi all,

I have a 1999 Punto 60SX. Recently the front wipers have lost the intermittent setting and just go from off to medium to fast. If I turned them off mid-wipe they would just stop where they were, rather than returning to the starting position automatically.
Then today I turned them on and nothing happened, they didn't even attempt to budge!:bang:
The rear wiper is working fine though!
Could this be a fuse problem, or a relay or the whole motor? I'm a bit of a novice so all the advice anyone can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Hello,
Because they stop in the middle of the screen when you switch them off it sounds like the self-park feature is not working. This will be related to the switch part of the motor, so I would look at this area first.

You need to take the wiper motor off the car and clean out its casing where the moving contacts are located. Use clean grease (not too much) and all should be ok. Though if there are broken parts inside you will need a replacment motor.

Hi all,

Thanks for getting back to me. I took the wiper out and the motor itself was red hot and there was water in the gutter thing underneath the motor. Turns out the drainage holes were blocked full of gunk as well. Apparently the motor had burned out completely.
Just got another from the breakers yard and got another motor in there. Working fine now :D

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Back