Technical Front o/s strut top mount bearing failed at 16,000 miles

Currently reading:
Technical Front o/s strut top mount bearing failed at 16,000 miles

I had to change my tyres due to inside edge wear like yours, long before the top bearing failure. This was a tracking problem possibly caused by the many speed bumps which I have to negotiate (slowly ;) ) on a daily basis. Since tracking was adjusted, new tyres have worn evenly on the front.

You'll know when top bearings go by the "clunking" sound, but see above posts for more detail.

Hi all. I'm off to test drive a new Qubo this afternoon. After reading through this thread and not having a definitive answer (maybe I missed it!), has the top mount issue been rectified on the newer models? This seems to be the only real issue I can find with the Qubo which seems to be pretty reliable on the whole.

I drive a 2009 Doblo for work and it didn't start going wrong until it had162,000 miles on the clock when a wheel bearing went, then a few other things went wrong within the next 20000 miles. That's the kind of reliability I'm looking for.

As far as we are aware the top mount issue has now been rectified and subsequent new models will have updated bearing, if however you have a model that has been ''in store'' then you may not be so lucky, however it is a warranty item and there will be no issues in getting the updated bearing fitted at a later date when/ if it does fail
LUIGI

As far as we are aware the top mount issue has now been rectified and subsequent new models will have updated bearing, if however you have a model that has been ''in store'' then you may not be so lucky, however it is a warranty item and there will be no issues in getting the updated bearing fitted at a later date when/ if it does fail
LUIGI

Well said............and spot on.:worship::worship:

Sorry to raise same subject again.....my 12 plate qubo has started making all the noises that are associated with a knackered top suspension mount. ( 41,00 miles)

My question is, what is the difference between a replacement mount and a "prokit" suspension strut repair kit?

I have done a bit of research and most of the info points to using a part manufactured or supplied by FEBI?

Using the link below it seems there are 2 types of replacement as per above:

suspension strut mount with ball bearing
front axle left
FIAT51963725

Or

suspension strut mounting kit with add-on material
front axle left
ProKit
FIAT51963725 S1

http://cars.febi-parts.com/vehicle.php?r_manufacturer=090

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Ken

I bought the febi builstien ones for Luigi which have been no problem and front tyres are wearing evenly.
Euro car parts now stock the febi ones.
LUIGI

Thanks Luigi,

Have looked on eurocarparts and they currently only sell and stock the "Corteco" brand, I have ordered one and will see how it all goes.

Did you replace them yourself or had a garage do it?

I have access to a well equipped garage with a hydraulic ramp, so am looking at doing it myself.

Thanks for your input.

Ken

Hi
I got my local garage to do the swap and its an hour a side.
The febi bearings are completely covered in rubber so that the bearing is covered up inlike the the original ones.
Plus the febi ones are made in Germany so i need say no more.
LUIGI
PS look on the bay of e.

Hi all.

Well I might be lucky enough to have access to said garage, however bosses at work had other ideas..... Fancy wanting me to actually work!

So off to local garage it went, all done £105 all in.

Probably do the other side myself later this month, when no bosses around..... Or just stay clean and get the garage to do it.

Main differences no noise, not graunching feeling, and no wheel vibration ( last one was only very minor)

Happy bunny now!

Well 5 months later and that's the other one replaced........ Same price, same garage.

Hopefully that's it for another few thousand miles, however they have the new enclosed version on now, so fingers crossed that's it!

I'll keep you posted.

Ken

I took my car in for a 120k mile service and to get my NS top strut bearing sorted ( both have been replaced once before with the old garage we used, so this is number 3 so far (n)) with Arnold 'arsehole' clark in Edingburgh....they didn't even notice the clunking/grinding sound :bang:
they did however,
- try charging £12 to change a lightbulb that didn't need it,
- advised us that the heat shield needed either taking off or securing again (it was taken off yrs ago)
- say that the timing belt noise needed investigating and (its a chain init) it now sounds worse than before they meddled with it!....and that it would need at least 8hrs work to strip the engine down replace the chain and put it back together again...... pfffffft!
- fixed a leaky turbo as per our request.....we never made such a request.

would I have to request the new type enclosed bearing or are they all like it now?

shall not be going back.

One would have thought that by now all the older stock should be well gone...........but worth checking with them, (if they know the difference), the new ones are totally covered by a thick rubber sealing gasket (for want of a better word). That in theory keeps the water, which gets into these bearings from the top, out............
Then find a new dealer................lol.
Cheers Qube O.

We've got a number for another garage to try that was recommended. I'll ask them about using the new n improved (?) variant.
I've checked the oil level and its well over the full mark and also the same colour as before, shouldn't it be a somewhat more golden oily colour like when I serviced my ww2 jeep n dodge?

m

We've got a number for another garage to try that was recommended. I'll ask them about using the new n improved (?) variant.
I've checked the oil level and its well over the full mark and also the same colour as before, shouldn't it be a somewhat more golden oily colour like when I serviced my ww2 jeep n dodge?

m

colour.. that's tricky, :eek:

level; should NEVER be over the FULL mark, :yuck:
if its got a DPF it can spell TROUBLE:bang:

Charlie

colour.. that's tricky, :eek:

level; should NEVER be over the FULL mark, :yuck:

if its got a DPF it can spell TROUBLE:bang:

Charlie

Agree with Charlie,

Oil level well above normal is not good.

If you have a dpf, this could mean that it has failed a regeneration cycle, which usually results in the oil level rising as if interrupted the extra diesel that was being used as part of the regeneration cycle, is dumped into the sump, once or twice, probably no problem, however more often and it could cause problems in the short / long term.

I believe that is how it works, however that is only my understanding and could well be wrong!

Ken

Back