Technical Front o/s strut top mount bearing failed at 16,000 miles

Currently reading:
Technical Front o/s strut top mount bearing failed at 16,000 miles

Hi Qube O, like you i windered if it was a set of the old T.M.S.B. that had been fitted, but on checking the invoice it states "Modified part supplied by Fiat", and them the part number.
Like I said maybe just bed luck.

cheers Ian

Hi Qube O, like you i windered if it was a set of the old T.M.S.B. that had been fitted, but on checking the invoice it states "Modified part supplied by Fiat", and them the part number.
Like I said maybe just bed luck.

cheers Ian

Hi Ian, It was just a thought.........but if thats what your invoice states, fair enough. I guess its going to have to be a wait and see job, only time is really going to answer this one.
Hope the Kia is going well, my Carens was a good car, but local dealer was a pain..........
Take care, Qube O. :);)

As you say Qube O, it looks as though it will be a wait and see, which is unfortunate as the qubo is a great little car, and the problem always leaves that element of doubt in the back of your mind.
As for the Venga, well its just a Qubo , but not so high, and slighty longer, and wider. Mpg in the town seems to be around the low to mid 50's, whilst M/way driving, the 1.4 crdi comes into its own returning just under 80 mpg.
Dont get me wrong there were lots of things i thought were better on the Qubo, but the one thing that sets them apart is the fact that the Venga can get off its mark in first and second gears. It may well be better now with the 95 bhp unit.
I wish you all the very best and keep my fingers crossed for you that the modified part works as well as the rest of the car.

Cheers Ian.
p.s. I still keep an eye out for Qubo's on the road........LOL.

Hi Ian, Thanks for the reply.

Here's a update........it would appear that the biggest majority of bearing failures were caused by water ingress through the top, to the mount. The water getting under the bonnet through the plastic cover assy, either rain water, or washing water.

The upgrade kit consists of new bearings, and a rubber/silicon pad, which fits between the top of the strut assy, and the underside of the wing top. Rather like filling on a sandwich. It is secured on place with the 3 strut mounting nuts, and totally covers ingress to the strut bearing. The only visible part of the top mount being the 1 large nut which secures the shocker to its mounting plate.

Therefore, in theory, water will not be able to get into these strut bearings from the top, no water, no water caused bearing failure, and problem sorted......

Ask me again in 2-3 years time, and all things being equal, all should be o.k.. It is easy to see this new part by looking through the slots in the plastic cover, the pad is black, and should be filling the whole of the oval shaped hole for the strut assy.

Take care, Qube O.

:eek: I've just read this very long thread after hearing the dreaded low speed steer and reverse clunking from the front N/S of my Qubo today. I'm pretty sure it's the top mount bearing as I had them go on a Rover 75 (but after 7 years and 87000 miles!) :cry:.

Qubo has now covered 20800 miles and is 3 years old in January so I'll take it to the MD and see what they say :rolleyes:. Failing that I'll try Citroen and Peugeot as they're local.

If all else fails I'll source the parts and buy/hire a spring compressor (I think I'll need one) to have a go myself (y).

Watch this space!

Hi Quboffin,

No idea how long you have had your Qubo, or if you purchased it new, and have a full Fiat service history.

But if you can tick all of these, speak to your dealer to confirm the problem, then ring Fiat direct, on their 'freephone' europe number, and raise a warranty issue, they are aware of this problem, and in my case paid for both side bearings to be replaced, meeting costs for parts/labour/vat.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Qube O.

Fiat call the Bearings.. 'Elastic Pad' (I know not why)....part Nos are 51928745 and 51928747, meaning the bearings must be sided.

Take care, Qube O :D

Many thanks Qubo O. I've just returned from MD :bang: and after brief chat with Service Dept. (we need to book your car in all day to diagnose problem... £96 and may not be covered by warranty...BLAH!) decided to have a go myself and legged it round to Parts. I showed the nice man your part numbers, he looked on his system and told me they had been upgraded - new part Nos are 51963725 and 51963726 costing £33.85 each plus VAT and will have to be ordered.

I called into my local garage on the way home - he'll have a look on Wednesday morning while I wait and let me know.

I'll report back ;)

Hi Quboffin,

What.......they want to charge just to confirm/diagnose the fault !!!!!!!!!!!

Not surprised your not happy, I have never yet being charged ever for any fault finding on my Fiat. Indeed the very idea is Bad Customer Relations...........perhaps you need a better, more friendly dealer...........

Thanks for the update on the new part Nos, next time I'm in my dealers I will have a word as to why the Nos have been changed, and what the part upgrade is.....

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.............

Cheers Qube O.

They want to do a 'diagnostic' for everything these days.

A company that wanted to expand business up front would accept responsibility for faulty parts and replace them whatever the age of the car.

Top mounts should not wear out in the normal lifetime of a car. The top mount on my (second hand) Doblo wore at just over three years and around 25K miles :mad: After much hassle they met half the cost. And this part (surprisingly!) wasn't covered by the extended warranty that the car came with: wishbones, tracking rods etc., yes, top mounts no.

I was relatively pleased to have not lost all the money, but I am still smarting and it means that my next car may well not be a Fiat. I just don't like the 'we'll fit substandard bits and if you fight hard enough we might contribute to a repair' attitude. Fiats are not cheap cars anymore so there are no excuses.

Last edited:
Hi Ulpian,

Mines a Duel-logic gearbox..........no problems its great, however. In the late summer gone, I noticed it seemed to be getting a bit 'clunky' at times when changing gear, rang my dealer, (Platts at Stafford), Chris said bring it over. Ran over there, they worked on my car for over a hour, did a physical check on gearchange mech', hooked it up to the computer for a diagnostic/fault codes e.t.c, road tested it..........and decided it was simply a clunk from the linkage at times, no real problem. They then wash the car for me, and gave me the keys back................NO CHARGE.

Thats just 1 example of how my dealer works, I have others...........great set of guys.

Thats SERVICE..............which Fiat should reward, other dealers who fail to live up to customers expectations should be Ex dealers...........

Moral being...............get a good Dealer, they are out there.

Cheers Qube O.

Many thanks Qubo O. I've just returned from MD :bang: and after brief chat with Service Dept. (we need to book your car in all day to diagnose problem... £96 and may not be covered by warranty...BLAH!) decided to have a go myself and legged it round to Parts. I showed the nice man your part numbers, he looked on his system and told me they had been upgraded - new part Nos are 51963725 and 51963726 costing £33.85 each plus VAT and will have to be ordered.

I called into my local garage on the way home - he'll have a look on Wednesday morning while I wait and let me know.

I'll report back ;)

To be fair garages have to make money and a technicians time is money......just the same as any other trade.

Anyhow, get a friend to sit in the car and slowly move the steering half a turn each way while you hold the spring (yes be careful of the obvious dangers and don't blame me if you get your fingers squashed) and if you feel the spring knocking/jumping it's the top strut bearings.

If you have FSH they are covered by 3rd year.

Most dealerships will do the same and as it only takes 'seconds' and won't even think of charging but as we know there are all too many that would or try too!

Hi T14086,

Thank you so much for the advice (y). I read your earlier replies on this thread but didn't know exactly what to look for on the spring. Your description matches exactly what is happening on the NS spring (and my fingers are still intact! ;)).

I've just spoken to MD service dept. and after I explained your diagnosis, they agreed to have a look first thing Monday while I wait, so partial result and progress at least.

The OS seems OK, I wonder if they'll change it as well? If not, it's probably worth me paying to have the upgrade mount fitted at the same time.

Hi,
Just to add to Luigi's point, i would definately have both mounts done and tracking checked! My Fiorino(08) required both mounts after around 20,000 miles, I have just done another pair myself at 225,000 miles (Fiat genuine dealer parts), as I am well out of warranty lol!!

Most dealerships will do the same and as it only takes 'seconds' and won't even think of charging but as we know there are all too many that would or try too!

Well I took my Qubo to MD at 0830 this morning as arranged.

Two hours later (yes at 1030) I was informed that the fault had been confirmed and that a third year warranty claim has been initiated - for the NS mount only, as they can only replace failed parts (pass me the hammer :p ). At least I didn't have to pay for diagnosis.

I've asked for a quote to replace the OS mount while they have it in, but I might just wait until it fails.

Hi Quboffin,

Only had one side fail on mine..........my dealer and Fiat said both sides should be replaced/updated............I'd push the dealer & get on to Fiat......get both sides done under warranty.

Cheers Qube O.

Back