Technical Front o/s strut top mount bearing failed at 16,000 miles

Currently reading:
Technical Front o/s strut top mount bearing failed at 16,000 miles

Although there's no reason that the other (non-noisy/faulty) side should be changed it does however make common sense to do it at the time, the same as you would a water pump when changing timing belt for example. However a good enough reason is 'my car will soon be out of warranty and your top strut mountings are sh*t so please change them both considering I spent over £10k on the car and I really can't be bothered quoting the sales of goods act which i'm sure you already know':)

Many thanks for your replies Guys (y).

I've just spoken again to MD and they insist that the warranty company will only pay for the replacement of parts which have actually failed. Fiat may have changed both if it was within their 2 year warranty period, but that's not the case :( .

MD quoted me just over £151 to replace the OS at the same time and knocked off 10% when I asked. Considering the mount and fixings are around £50, I don't think it's too bad.

I thought about buying the bits and DIY but it's cold in my garage, I need to buy/hire a spring compressor and I should only be without Qubo for a day if MD does the job :rolleyes: .

Quboffin, My Qubo was very nearly out of Warranty when my top strut bearing failed. Still had both replaced..........its a known design fault on these cars, Fiat are aware and do not want the bad publicity which could result from their failure to carry out a general 'recall' to fix all affected motors, hence are happy to help owners who experience this problem.......

As for the time factor..........total RUBBISH...........my dealer did both sides, washed and valeted the car, gave me coffee / biscuits, total time from start to finish was under 3 hours.........so it was a simple sit and wait job.

Bell Fiat and ask for their help.........be polite and explain your problems.....i.e., cost of replacement, very disappointed with the fault, and with dealer response, will put you off buying another Fiat.....e.t.c., e.t.c . The worst that can happen is they say no, that would amaze me............I have had a number of problems in and out of the warranty period, and Fiat have always come up trumps............spending in excess of £2000 on my car.

Cheers Qube O.

Thanks for your support and advice Qube O.

I've just phoned Fiat and was told initially that 3rd year warranty only covers failed parts.

I then mentioned the Fiat Forum and quoted 3 examples where Fiat has replaced both sides on Qubo/Fiorino under warranty when only one side has failed, as it is a known fault.

The lady then said she would raise a case, took all the details and gave me a case number. She said she couldn't promise anything but someone from Fiat would contact me. Fingers crossed ;) !

Well done Quboffin............it can take a few days for the case to be looked into, Fiat will contact your Dealer.....who needs to push for you to get both sides replaced (Hence you need a good Dealer)., then all being well they will offer you some form of assistance with the fault..............

Like I said, the worst they can do is say No..........but the best would be all done with no charge...........fingers crossed.

Cheers Qube O.

Fiat will contact your Dealer.....who needs to push for you to get both sides replaced (Hence you need a good Dealer)

but why do you have to go through all this? If I was to spend £? on a new car and have to pay for it over the next 4/5 years I certainly wouldn't even consider going to the dealership or Fiat with a begging bowl. Kia 7 year no worry warranty or go for Japanese or German reliability.....but hey fat chance of me ever buying a new car:rolleyes:

but why do you have to go through all this? If I was to spend £? on a new car and have to pay for it over the next 4/5 years I certainly wouldn't even consider going to the dealership or Fiat with a begging bowl. Kia 7 year no worry warranty or go for Japanese or German reliability.....but hey fat chance of me ever buying a new car:rolleyes:

Hi Mr Moderator.....
I object to the term 'begging bowl' totally inappropriate.....

Fiat designed and have produced a car which has a fault, the fault is a design fault, and as the producers they are responsible for correcting this issue. Therefore it is only fair to the poor souls like me who run one of these vehicles that they put right the problem they have created.......

As for Kia, (had one, got rid soon because of a truly useless dealership), the 7 year warranty has more holes in it than my shed roof. Reliability of Jap/German cars, o.k., they are good.........up to now so has my Fiat being............with much cheaper service costs/insurance/ and brilliant on mpg.

Perhaps if your so fond of German/Jap/Kia's you should be a moderator on their forums...........??

At the very least you should attempt to be moderate in your comments, and helpful, not insulting to forum members and Fiat.

Not HAPPY, Qube O.

Just got the call from Fiat Customer Relations and I think I'll be paying for the OS mount as they are singing from the same hymn sheet as the dealer. (n)

The dealer can only change parts which have failed. :bang:

I quoted the Fiat Forum and said there's a precedent but the FCR man dismissed this. I said that it's common sense to change both sides as if one has failed the other must be approaching failure. FCR man couldn't comment as he has no technical training.

He will speak to head mechanic at MD to seek his technical opinion and ask if they are willing to replace both mounts.

I'll let you know but I'm not taking bets. :(

Hi Mr Moderator.....
I object to the term 'begging bowl' totally inappropriate.....

Fiat designed and have produced a car which has a fault, the fault is a design fault, and as the producers they are responsible for correcting this issue. Therefore it is only fair to the poor souls like me who run one of these vehicles that they put right the problem they have created.......

As for Kia, (had one, got rid soon because of a truly useless dealership), the 7 year warranty has more holes in it than my shed roof. Reliability of Jap/German cars, o.k., they are good.........up to now so has my Fiat being............with much cheaper service costs/insurance/ and brilliant on mpg.

Perhaps if your so fond of German/Jap/Kia's you should be a moderator on their forums...........??

At the very least you should attempt to be moderate in your comments, and helpful, not insulting to forum members and Fiat.

Not HAPPY, Qube O.

Well everyone is entitled to an opinion, you have yours and I have mine. However I don't remember or can see where I have 'insulted' a forum member and my opinion on Fiats warranty (you quoted me as saying I insulted Fiat but if you read carefully it was aimed only at the warranty) stands.

As for begging bowl, what's wrong with that? why should any owner have to make a phone call and plead, beg,ask' or any other word you want to use to get a part fixed when they shouldn't have to in the first place!

Finally, which would I buy new...a Fiat, Kia or VW? I gave you my opinion and it does not mean I don't like Fiats (I own 3) it simply means I wouldn't buy a new Fiat because of the poor warranty, that's my opinion and I'm not going to lie about it.

Finally, which would I buy new...a Fiat, Kia or VW? I gave you my opinion and it does not mean I don't like Fiats (I own 3) it simply means I wouldn't buy a new Fiat because of the poor warranty, that's my opinion and I'm not going to lie about it.

I must agree. My Qubo is perfect for all my needs, that's why I bought it and I really enjoy driving it, but it's the warranty and MD that are causing me grief.

My NS mount has totally failed and is being replaced under the 3rd year dealer warranty. If I test the OS as described above by T14086, I can feel the grittiness as the steering is turned because the mount is corroded and the motion is not smooth as it should be. But I'm told it hasn't failed and if I want it replaced, I have to pay.

Would I buy another new Fiat? Ask me when this problem is resolved.

T14086.
If no new fiats were bought fiat would go under so it can't be all bad shorley, but what your implying isn't very positive for a new fiat buyer.

Agree with that.........very negative statements from a Moderator.......unacceptable in my book.

Should be there to be helpful and steer a central course.......if you wish to push your own personal views then as a 'forum' ordinary member thats fine......not as a 'moderator'..............

Not at all happy, Qube O.(n)(n)(n)(n)

Success!! (y) I took Qubo into MD today for the NS mount replacement and asked the Service Manager to have a look at the OS mount with me. He did and then said he would have a chat with the Technician and see what could be done.

Three hours later he phoned to say that Qubo was ready and both mounts have been changed - under warranty :D.

The new ones still look prone to corrosion from water so I might try the grease, polybag and cable tie treatment as suggested earlier in this thread.

Why can't Fiat just fit a rubber cap? :confused:

The replacement parts on mine have a large rubber cap/cover which fits on top of the mount, between the underside of the wing, and the mount itself. Idea being to stop the ingress of water..............clearly seen when you look. Perhaps Fiat have changed the new design again ??

Glad you got it sorted under warranty..........

Cheers Qube O.

both my front tires on the inside are worn out but the rest of the tire has grip .

ive never put tires on the vehicle since i have had it , so iam a little unsure weather the previous owner had trouble with the tires or suspension but now repaired ?
nothing in the history
could this be my top bearings ?:confused::confused:

Back