Fiat's are SLOW

Currently reading:
Fiat's are SLOW

Fiat hasnt made a hot hatch since the coupe, and that wasnt even a hatch

Why dont they have anything that matches the 0-60 times of the below cars?

Civic Type R
Clio 197
Corsa VXR
Focus ST
Astra VXR
Megane Renaultsport 225
Mazda 3 MPS
Mazda 6 MPS
Golf GTI / R32

The way it stands:

Fastest Bravo - 0-60 7.9s
Fastest Punto - 0-60 7.5s
Fastest 500 - 0-60 7.5s
Fastest Panda - 0-60 9.5s

All much slower than any competition.

Last edited:
more to a car than its top speed at acceleration times...MPG, emissions, cost price, running costs, value for money, servicing/repair costs etc. Speed limit is 70 in UK anyway.

Thats all very well, but if you want a fast fiat you have to wait months for an Abarth, and then ship out the SS kit then even after all that, outright power is still down on the competition.

That said...when they made the 20vt it was crowned the fastest FWD car in the world...who knows what they may do.

Thats all very well, but if you want a fast fiat you have to wait months for an Abarth, and then ship out the SS kit then even after all that, outright power is still down on the competition.

That said...when they made the 20vt it was crowned the fastest FWD car in the world...who knows what they may do.

they design what they feel will sell
the hot version of most models are a small sector of the full model ranges sales

I think you also have to remember that Fiat are Italian and are culturally different. Im sure there are some people on here that are either Italian or have visited/lived in Italy. Im not really that qualified but I do know that the Italians are very different from us. I do know that in Italy small cars are more important to them than all the fantastic super cars that are made there. I also know that a lot of Italys streets are tight and small so handling is more important than out and out power.

Civic Type R
Clio 197
Corsa VXR
Focus ST
Astra VXR
Megane Renaultsport 225
Mazda 3 MPS
Mazda 6 MPS
Golf GTI / R32

The way it stands:

Fastest 500 - 0-60 7.5s

Concordes were faster than 737's but look who is still around? As previously said, whats the point of having a fast car, if it is very generic and not nice to drive. I mean, getting away from those traffics lights 1 second quicker isn't really going to change my life.

Substance over Speed anyday :D

You forget the best two hot hatches Fiat have made, the Strada Abarth 130TC and the sedicivalvole.

Strada abarth 130TC 0-60 in 7.8

Sedicivalvole mk1 0-60 in 7.9

The strada abarth was one of the quickest of its era, and while the sedicivalvole wasn't the quickest amongst the competition, it wasn't far off and was the favourite of car reviewers of the time. Being able to be the best mix of performance, handling and practicality which is what a hot hatch needs.

and don't forget Fiat have alfa and Lancia for the truly quick cars.

Oh you were just mentioning the current cars, thought you meant the proper Bravo lol.

Last edited:
I think one of the reasons why Fiat won't make mainstream hot hatches is that they'll be leaving this to Alfa Romeo.

There is already a hot MiTo and the Guilietta will be getting a high power 1750 TBi engine.

when i was recently looking for a car one of the first things i done was check its future road tax bracket! Yes i would like a fancy fast car etc but when your faced with high insurance, over £450 road tax year and silly fuel prices i (personally in my current situation) dont see the point of a flash car if it will just sit outside the house all the time!

The way I explain it to my mates: Anything can go fast in a straight line, it takes skill, and a well set up car to go around corners. Fiat are good at number 2, I don't really care about number one tbh

My Fiat must be the exception to that rule...

Like a bullet in a straight line, not quite so good when I have to turn the steering wheel! :eek: Plenty of understeer!!!!!!!!!!

I have a remapped GPS Mjet btw.... 0-60 around 7 seconds, phenomenal mid range grunt, keeps with Type R's, Clio's and the like.....until it reaches a bend! :D

Cost a few quid shy of £10k new, absolute bargain. Toyed with the idea of selling it in the early days due to several niggles, it's got better as the miles have clocked up though!

My Fiat must be the exception to that rule...

Like a bullet in a straight line, not quite so good when I have to turn the steering wheel! :eek: Plenty of understeer!!!!!!!!!!

I have a remapped GPS Mjet btw.... 0-60 around 7 seconds, phenomenal mid range grunt, keeps with Type R's, Clio's and the like.....until it reaches a bend! :D

Cost a few quid shy of £10k new, absolute bargain. Toyed with the idea of selling it in the early days due to several niggles, it's got better as the miles have clocked up though!
Have a MJT GPS with remap as well and mine corners ok bearing in mind its got a heavy lump up the front!
Maybe different tyres might help.

and tell us all fenton - how often do you see a clio 197
for 1" iv never ever seen one and yet theres 3 people on 2 streets where i live with bravos 2 of my friends have bravos and i have a 155 20v so suck eggs,,,, theres a style( an affection) that comes with a fiat,,, why do you think we spend 200 quid on a maf sensor in one hit,,,, ford st owners are straight faced dicks,,, type r's are too cool for skool as are the 225 idiots who buys mazdas anymore ,,, so next time your ponsing around in your volvo and you see a fiat
LOOK AWAY,,, coz your winding me up

Civic Type R
Clio 197
Corsa VXR
Focus ST
Astra VXR
Megane Renaultsport 225
Mazda 3 MPS
Mazda 6 MPS
Golf GTI / R32

The way it stands:

Fastest 500 - 0-60 7.5s

I must admit I agree. Although I think they reserve that corner of the market for the Alfa range. Although even they seem to be getting lardy and slow (n) :bang:.

I can remember back in 2006 when I was looking at the Grande thinking "where's the powerful Petrol engine". So was stuck with a dirty derv :bang:.

Do what I've done and get a frugal "daily" car and get something bonkers for the weekend like a Coupe 20VT / Uno Turbo :slayer:. You'd struggle to get anything as fast for the £'s.....

and tell us all fenton - how often do you see a clio 197
for 1" iv never ever seen one and yet theres 3 people on 2 streets where i live with bravos 2 of my friends have bravos and i have a 155 20v so suck eggs,,,, theres a style( an affection) that comes with a fiat,,, why do you think we spend 200 quid on a maf sensor in one hit,,,, ford st owners are straight faced dicks,,, type r's are too cool for skool as are the 225 idiots who buys mazdas anymore ,,, so next time your ponsing around in your volvo and you see a fiat
LOOK AWAY,,, coz your winding me up

What the f*** did you just say? Can we have that again in English please?

Back