General Fiat Ducato Camper Cheyenne SE Autotrail 2.5 Diesel

Currently reading:
General Fiat Ducato Camper Cheyenne SE Autotrail 2.5 Diesel

robertriva

Any advice welcome. I am think about buying a used motorhome and found a Fiat Ducato Camper Cheyenne SE Autotrail 2.5 Diesel, 1997 model on sale at a dealers. The declared mileage is 58,900 and the asking price is £5990.00. Being seriously 'mechanically challenged', can anyone give me the heads up on any known issues relating to this model of vehicle before I go any further. The images show a well maintained vehicle cosmetically but it's everything mechanical that concerns me.

I owned a 1998 Ducato and the most serious fault I experienced was a brake pipe rusting through at the point where it makes an almost 135 degree bend at the bottom of the front inner wheel arch. The other side had already been replaced before I bought the van and later on in my ownership I had an MOT fail on the front to rear pipe run.

The problem seems to be that the plastic coating can crack so allowing rust to take hold underneath the coating. An annoying and serious fault considering that non-corrosive pipe has been available to manufacturers for many years.

I understand the biggest concern on a coachbuilt of that age is damp. If water has got between the skins the rot could be beyond economic repair and the van worthless - yet hardly noticeable externally.

Having had a Autotrail 634l ourselves some time ago I will tell you what problems we had.The engine, travelled all over Spain ,France and all the mountain passes in between and never had a problem.Bodywork at back, found it cracked in places at lower half but as its grp was repaired easy. Spare wheel underneath chassis, the external airline came loose so loss air when coming to change it.Bathroom shower tap, changed it for type that goes on the wall and not pull out from body of tap.Side rear window, devel oped leak from rubber seal £75 to replace.Fridge on 12v found one time it was not working when travelling, mystyfied us until found it was a "dry" joint on connector in control box over the door.MPG 25/28, oil consumption maybe pint between services,Overall apart from Autotrail grp good model , enjoy.

I have a 1989 2.0 petrol/lpg motor which I have had for 10 years and 50k miles. Motor never gave a problem as yet.
I also have a 1995-6 2.5TD motor with 150k km as its lhd.
motor had a new cambelt at 100k km and had no problems also. Starts immediately warm or cold and been v reliable.
Covid has stopped travelling EU where I live in BG. I am 73 yo.
Point I have is both vans I have are basic mechanical units which I service myself except cambelt and have no real electronics to give problems. (Electronic ignition on 2.0 petrol motor have parts to change if problem.)
Can only say these older generation motors I feel are v good.
Hopefully Covid will relax and we can get back to travelling.
Happy New Year to all

Back