Technical Fiat Ducato 1999 2.8 TDI

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Ducato 1999 2.8 TDI

Chris23

Hi everyone, thank you for welcoming me. I have a 1999 Ducato Swift 2.8 TDI diesel. Recently someone drilled a 10 mil hole in the fuel tank without collecting the shavings, to install a diesel heater in the van. The fuel leaked from the feed going into the heater outside on to the ground. When I tried start the van it wouldn't turn over. A mechanic changed a fuse under the dash and it went, but later broke down having driven around 100kms. That wasn't the worst part, when I finally got a mechanic to look at it he said, there were shavings in the filter, injector 1 and 4 were blocked and the pump would need to come off as the fuel wasn't reaching the engine, it looked like there was a problem with the pump. That mechanic couldn't fix it and sent me to another that couldn't fix it either (the looking at it took 2 weeks) until another guy was recommended that said he knew a man that could fix the pump. It turned out he couldn't, but stripped it back to bare bones, 3 larger pieces and many smaller pieces in a box. It seems the company that reconditioned them won't accept it now because it's in too many small pieces, so I'm trying to get a new pump for it now. Does anyone here know where I can source one? Many thanks.

Hi everyone, thank you for welcoming me. I have a 1999 Ducato Swift 2.8 TDI diesel. Recently someone drilled a 10 mil hole in the fuel tank without collecting the shavings, to install a diesel heater in the van. The fuel leaked from the feed going into the heater outside on to the ground. When I tried start the van it wouldn't turn over. A mechanic changed a fuse under the dash and it went, but later broke down having driven around 100kms. That wasn't the worst part, when I finally got a mechanic to look at it he said, there were shavings in the filter, injector 1 and 4 were blocked and the pump would need to come off as the fuel wasn't reaching the engine, it looked like there was a problem with the pump. That mechanic couldn't fix it and sent me to another that couldn't fix it either (the looking at it took 2 weeks) until another guy was recommended that said he knew a man that could fix the pump. It turned out he couldn't, but stripped it back to bare bones, 3 larger pieces and many smaller pieces in a box. It seems the company that reconditioned them won't accept it now because it's in too many small pieces, so I'm trying to get a new pump for it now. Does anyone here know where I can source one? Many thanks.
Wow!
No disrespect, but it does sound like you have let a load of monkeys work on your vehicle:(.
Though a pretty stupid thing to do drilling the tank like that, I am surprised that the debris wasn't collected by the fuel filter paper element.
However assuming your injector pump looks similar to this image, then I suggest you need to get a new fuel tank, have all the fuel lines blown through both flow and return, fit a new fuel filter and then identify the part number from your original injection pump, then either buy the correct one new which will be quite expensive , or get a same part number one from eBay or somewhere like that , have it checked by a professional diesel company and then have it fitted by a qualified professional motor engineer possibly recommended by the same professional diesel company, someone experienced with older diesel engines and not one playing at it!
1715236184375.png

Back