fiat 500s subframe issue

Currently reading:
fiat 500s subframe issue

hezzer

hi all i have just purchased fiat 500sport 2007 1.4 model froma private seller, i managed to get the price down because of this issues with it is the rear shock cups as mine have holes in and the metal has a cracking on the cup about a centimeter long, i will try and get pics tommorow. can i get new ones to weld in or is it a whole new subframe if so what sort of prices are new or second hand ones or are there any equivalents i could use, or shouid i just weld them up cheers all any adivse is very much appreciated

Last edited:
hi all i have just purchased fiat 500sport 2007 1.4 model froma private seller, i managed to get the price down because of this issues with it is the rear shock cups as mine have holes in and the metal has a cracking on the cup about a centimeter long, i will try and get pics tommorow. can i get new ones to weld in or is it a whole new subframe if so what sort of prices are new or second hand ones or are there any equivalents i could use, or shouid i just weld them up cheers all any adivse is very much appreciated

Scrappy will probably be about £100 for the part used (y)

Not sure if mk3 Panda one is the same also or not :confused:

I challenge anyone to read that in one breath, as punctuated.

lol my punctuation is terrible :)

Hi all, I have just purchased fiat 500sport 2007 1.4 model from a private seller, I managed to get the price down because of this issue with it is the rear shock cups as mine have holes in and the metal has a cracking on the cup about a centimeter long, I will try and get a pic tomorrow. Can I get new ones to weld in or is it a whole new sub frame if so what sort of prices are new or second hand ones or are there any equivalents I could use, or should I just weld them up cheers all any advice is very much appreciated

any better lol

Last edited:
I suspect you're talking about the rear axle not a subframe? I am rather surprised.....

Worrying if it's not just an isolated issue. I await the pictures with interest and may well be having a good look under mine in the near future.

Fiat don't list the cups separately from the rear beam, and the rear beam if bought OEM is frighteningly expensive. Buying one secondhand raises the obvious question of where it's been and what's happened to it - perhaps not easy to check once it's been removed from the car.

There are a few on ebay just now for the drum braked cars (around £125ish complete), but none for the disc braked 1.4, so you may need to dig a bit further if you go that route.

The only bright side I can see to this is that, if you can find a suitable donor vehicle, you might be able to upgrade to the later type of rear beam, which will give you a noticeably better ride. You'll need the springs & shocks to go with it, though I daresay on a 2008 car, your shocks will be well worn anyway by now if original.

Last edited:
fiat3_zps7a87cb52.jpg

fiat1_zps2e098eda.jpg

this side looks ok put some wax oil on not finished wanna make sure its coated well.

fiat2_zps4af3d304.jpg

the quote i got from fiat was £700+ just for the rear axle/subframe and that did not include fitting or the dreaded vat. think i am gonna be cracking the welder out. even the chap at fiat told me to weld it

Last edited:
There are a few on ebay just now for the drum braked cars (around £125ish complete), but none for the disc braked 1.4, so you may need to dig a bit further if you go that route.

The only bright side I can see to this is that, if you can find a suitable donor vehicle, you might be able to upgrade to the later type of rear beam, which will give you a noticeably better ride. You'll need the springs & shocks to go with it, though I daresay on a 2008 car, your shocks will be well worn anyway by now if original.

i did see these on ebay, wondered how different the rear axles with discs are to drums.

Mine has the usual surface rust, but nowhere near as rusty as that. My Panda is a 56 plate one and the suspension is very similar and it's not that rusty.....

Thanks for the pics. That looks worryingly corroded; I wonder if we will see more of this kind of thing as the fleet ages. An OEM replacement beam from a franchised dealer will likely cost >£1k with fitting & VAT.

i did see these on ebay, wondered how different the rear axles with discs are to drums.

I've just looked on ePer (Fiat's online parts catalog) for you; things aren't that simple - there appear to be quite a few variations on the rear beam. If you PM me your VIN I can get back to you with a specific part number for your car.

Take the fitment guidance on eBay with a pinch of salt - you will need to do some homework to ensure you buy a compatible beam, should you go that route.

Bear in mind also that all 500's from the 2010 model year onward will have a different, much stiffer type of rear beam to yours - if you want to use that you'll likely need to change quite a few other parts as well (and certainly the springs/dampers).

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. That looks worryingly corroded; I wonder if we will see more of this kind of thing as the fleet ages. An OEM replacement beam from a franchised dealer will likely cost >£1k with fitting & VAT.

might be able to pick up a cheap 500 one at some point i think.

I've just looked on ePer (Fiat's online parts catalog) for you; things aren't that simple - there appear to be quite a few variations on the rear beam. If you PM me your VIN I can get back to you with a specific part number for your car.

cheers matey pmd you :)

The one I'm looking at now is dated Nov 2012; for the 500 rear beam, there are 28 entries in the catalog, and 8 currently active part numbers.

I can account for at least 4 variations, there will be a normal 500 and 500's equipped with Bi-Xenon HID's of the pre revised rear subframe and the revised one that happened when the KA was launched or when ever it was to firm up the rear.

Not sure about the other 4.

Plus presumably the disc/non disc version of each of those MEP identifies.

I wouldn't think there'd be a difference between the disc and drum versions, I'd imagine the hubs would be designed such that they could both use the same rear beam. Obviously I could be wrong :)

One of the issues we've seen is the handbrake cable mountings breaking off, I suspect newer axles have an improved mounting.

Back