Currently reading:
Technical FIAT 500 Doors not Locking

rayman1963

I have just replaced both door handles on my daughters Fiat 500. Unfortunately the doors now wont lock using the key fob or manually using the key. However. If someone is inside the car and flicks the inside door handles to the lock position the doors will lock. Can anyone give me suggestions what could be wrong ?

We're they complete handles where you had to remove the rods?
On the passenger side i had to remove the rod as door handle had broken off in two places so had to replace the entire handle unit. The drivers door only needed the metal hinge replaced so i managed to replace it without completing removing the door handles which also meant that i did not have to remove the two rods on that side. When i turn the key in the lock to try and lockbthe car i can feel a bit of resistance

We're they complete handles where you had to remove the rods?
On the passenger side i had to remove the rod as door handle had broken off in two places so had to replace the entire handle unit. The drivers door only needed the metal hinge replaced so i managed to replace it without completing removing the door handles which also meant that i did not have to remove the two rods on that side. When i turn the key in the lock to try and lock the car i can feel a bit of resistance

DO the indicators flash to show locked!- then double flash again to show unlocked!
Can you hear the "clunk" as they lock then again as they unlock? if so pop off the internal round chrome handle covers and spray the rods and internal handle pivot with some WD 40 or light oil and try again sometimes they bind up preventing locking working externally!.

DO the indicators flash to show locked!- then double flash again to show unlocked!
Can you hear the "clunk" as they lock then again as they unlock? if so pop off the internal round chrome handle covers and spray the rods and internal handle pivot with some WD 40 or light oil and try again sometimes they bind up preventing locking working externally!.
Thanks, I will try Some WD40. The indicators do flash once when pressing the lock button on the key fob and double flash to show unlocked when pressed the unlock button on the fob. And i can hear the clunk also.

Just tried the key manually in the drivers door lock and whilst it initially didnt lockbthe car either. After serveral times fiddling about to see if the lock was doing the clunking noise somethingbappears to have worked. I turned the key clockwise a just clockwise a few times and them used the fob to lock the car and that seems to have had the desired result as the doors now lock and unlock with the fob !!

Just tried the key manually in the drivers door lock and whilst it initially didnt lockbthe car either. After serveral times fiddling about to see if the lock was doing the clunking noise somethingbappears to have worked. I turned the key clockwise a just clockwise a few times and them used the fob to lock the car and that seems to have had the desired result as the doors now lock and unlock with the fob !!
Might be worth giving the locks, rods, and hinges a spray with lube anyway!

Back