Technical Central Locking not working .

Currently reading:
Technical Central Locking not working .

Jack

The central locking on my 2008 car isn't working properly - when I press the key fob, there is an audible 'clunk' (as usual) and the indicators flash (as usual) however the doors & tailgate are actually not locked, darn it!

Any advice, thoughts on likely cause please?

Are the symptoms NOT locking?, or is the car locking then unlocking itself? .
IE- you press the lock button but the car indicators flash TWICE to indicate UNLOCKED?.

If its the doing the later! then this is known to happen if the internal door handles is stiff and"binding" if you think this might be the case then remove the chromed plastic cap/cover from the handle and spray some release fluid such as WD40 or the likes over the moving parts! (pivot point&pin,rods etc!) and work the handle back and forth many times to free it up so it moves easy without binding up! before refitting the chrome cover you can shut the door and try the fob again! to see if it works!. this is most likely to effect the drivers door but could effect either or even both!.

If however when you press the lock button on the fob the indicators only flash once to show locked!, but the system has NOT actually locked the car then you have a different problem!.

Thanks for response - indicators flash ONCE when I press the lock button, then TWICE when I press unlock.

I think that's the norm but - in between - the car is actually not locked.

Thanks for response - indicators flash ONCE when I press the lock button, then TWICE when I press unlock.

I think that's the norm but - in between - the car is actually not locked.
Ok then its not the issue i described unfortunately!
First port of call c heck the hatch wiring as any problems here can screw up the can-bus system causing many different problems! check for breaks in the wiring and non-existent insulation and exposed wires that can short out against each other!

Thanks - think it's a job for my nearby auto electrician, though I will just shoot all the locks/catches up with WD-40, in case that's what's needed!

Ok then its not the issue i described unfortunately!
First port of call c heck the hatch wiring as any problems here can screw up the can-bus system causing many different problems! check for breaks in the wiring and non-existent insulation and exposed wires that can short out against each other!
Eureka ! Took your initial advice, prized off the chrome cover on the drivers-side internal handle, sprayed inside with WD-40, problem solved! Many thanks, very good to have the problem so easily solved. Cheers!

Back