General fiat 500 car battery and radio code

Currently reading:
General fiat 500 car battery and radio code

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶

Nadia122

I would be grateful for views/answers to 2 questions please.
1. I have an 09 plate 1.2 sport 500 and need a new battery. I went to buy a Bosch S3 battery from Euro car parts but they advised I should buy a Bosch S4. (I would like to buy a Bosch;it comes with a 4 yr warranty). A friend advised that I can't buy any battery as it may not fit in the "tray". Does anyone have a view/answer?
2. I've been advised I would need a radio code when the battery has been replaced. I checked the fiat booklets that I have and all there is in there is a Fiat MP3 code. Is that the radio code I wonder?

I would be grateful for views/answers to 2 questions please.
1. I have an 09 plate 1.2 sport 500 and need a new battery. I went to buy a Bosch S3 battery from Euro car parts but they advised I should buy a Bosch S4. (I would like to buy a Bosch;it comes with a 4 yr warranty). A friend advised that I can't buy any battery as it may not fit in the "tray". Does anyone have a view/answer?
2. I've been advised I would need a radio code when the battery has been replaced. I checked the fiat booklets that I have and all there is in there is a Fiat MP3 code. Is that the radio code I wonder?

1. I believe they are dimensionally identical (so either would physically fit) but the S4 has about a 15% greater capacity and current rating. The S4 is the better battery, so the advice is sound, particuarly as ECP seem to be selling the S4 for less than the S3. Also the S3 only has a 3yr guarantee; the S4 has a 4yr one.

The S4 is £55.99 including delivery from ECP if you order it online before midnight Sunday and use the code "WEEKEND30". I don't know how this copmpares with the in-store offer, but you can also click & collect for that price.

Note that neither of these batteries are suitable for a car fitted with S/S but on an '09 plate you'd only have S/S if it were specified as an option when the car was new (unlikely), so this shouldn't be an issue for the OP.

2. The radio code is stored internally in one of the car's computers and you won't need to enter it again after disconnecting the battery. It should only be needed if you move the radio to a different vehicle. In the unlikely event that you do need it but don't have it, the forum can probably get it for you in return for a modest donation.

Last edited:
Not sure about the battery but you wont need a code for the radio as its matched to the onboard computer................disconnected the battery on my daughters car a while ago, for about 4 hours and never needed a code.

Thanks for replying. I'm most grateful. Sorry to be thick but whats S/S and OP please?
And are you saying that I could buy the S4, please? I think you are. I bought the car second hand.
I'm pleased I won't need a radio code

Note on EuroCarParts website the S3 is more expensive than the S4 with a longer guarantee which seems odd, like they've got them the wrong way round in price terms so as JR states order or click and collect using the discount code weekend30, you can't just walk in and get the discount it has to be order or click and collect.
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/F...ec6ab3bc273dc55a3d5b80b92840bb2491c800&000020

There's also this 5 year one(if you're keeping it that long) with free next day delivery from;
http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/varta-c30.html

Last edited:
I am happy to report that my dad came across the weekend 30 discount code and ordered me the S4 ( click and collect). He wasn't sure if that would be the right model and was grateful when you confirmed it would be ok.
It fits and I'm glad I won't have problems with the cold weather.
You were also right about the radio code. We didn't have to put in a code when the battery was replaced.
Thank you again.

Many Thanks for the info. We bought the S4 with a 4 year warranty.

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back