General Engine high pitch squeal

Currently reading:
General Engine high pitch squeal

bwatman

Ducato 2.8jtd, 244, 2003.

Since the colder weather, every time I start up in the morning I get a high pitch squeal from the engine.
This disappears once the engine warms up.
Belt slipping?
A Bearing on its way out?
Water pump?
How do I pinpoint the item causing the issue?
Any comments appreciated.

Ducato 2.8jtd, 244, 2003.

Since the colder weather, every time I start up in the morning I get a high pitch squeal from the engine.
This disappears once the engine warms up.
Belt slipping?
A Bearing on its way out?
Water pump?
How do I pinpoint the item causing the issue?
Any comments appreciated.
If you set a can of wd40 to a small jet and just aim it at the belt and the noise goes away you have pinpointed it, the spray will soon disperse so no harm.
If the noise is still there unchanged a long screwdriver can be used as a stethoscope to place against your ear and by things that you suspect of making the noise.
Do be careful of moving parts when doing this.
Another safer way may be to use a hollow tube plastic or rubber to do the same thing.
If you suspect the aircon pump or alternator try increasing the load by turning on the air con or switching on headlights etc to test the alternator.
The same test for power steering by turning the steering wheel.

If you set a can of wd40 to a small jet and just aim it at the belt and the noise goes away you have pinpointed it, the spray will soon disperse so no harm.
If the noise is still there unchanged a long screwdriver can be used as a stethoscope to place against your ear and by things that you suspect of making the noise.
Do be careful of moving parts when doing this.
Another safer way may be to use a hollow tube plastic or rubber to do the same thing.
If you suspect the aircon pump or alternator try increasing the load by turning on the air con or switching on headlights etc to test the alternator.
The same test for power steering by turning the steering wheel.
Great..................Thanks Bugsymike.
Will give it a go.

Back