General Engine oil specs

Currently reading:
General Engine oil specs

CaradoSteve

Can anyone tell me what type of engine oil is required for 2023 fiat ducato 2.2 140 .As I do very low miles I am thinking of changing the engine oil and filter every 12 months instead of waiting for the 2yr service time. Thanks Steve

Fiat's handbook for the Series 8 Jeep-derived 2.2 says the same Selenia WR Forward 0w30 to Fiat 9.55535-DS1 as the earlier Euro6 2.3 engine.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 19
Used to change mine every 5000mls , oils cheaper than an engine ...!!!

Whilst your vehicle sits not being used [ cold ] condensation forms in the motor and gearbox and dilutes the oil , in a well used engine this is not so much problem .

condensation forms in the motor and gearbox and dilutes the oil
Oil and water don't mix, so I don't understand how water 'dilutes the oil?'

That aside - and just for balance, my neighbour, a retired Technical college lecturer with a brother who owned a garage, never changed the oil in his Citroen car in the 13 years and 10,000 miles he had it. It looked immaculate and was still running sweet as a nut when he sold it.
I am not recommending that - but wouldn't go to the other extreme and change it more often than the manufacturers recommendation.

Fiat recommend 0w30 C2 for the Ducato X2/90 & X2/95
But since the demise of border checks and trading standards (Austerity Cuts) there is ample evidence UK has become the dumping ground for crap that couldn't be sold across the channel. So I don't know of anyone who is checking the oil in the can actually meets the specs on the label?

True , but the oil will float on the water , guess which the pump picks up first ...!

All oil has to meet minimum industry standards , you have evidence of substandard oil products ?

Loads of you tube vids on not changing oil and vehicles left for long periods and its consequences .

Used to change mine every 5000mls , oils cheaper than an engine ...!!!

Whilst your vehicle sits not being used [ cold ] condensation forms in the motor and gearbox and dilutes the oil , in a well used engine this is not so much problem .

Of course there can be small amounts of humity in an engine that has been switched off and left to cool down. But apart from that? I can´t remember ever having seen any water at all even in open containers with (used) oil standing for long periods in varying temperatures.

, you have evidence of substandard oil products ?
No
But then again I have not heard of anybody checking to see the oil in the can complies with the spec on it
Thats why I asked, on this and other forums
But nobody seems to know
Fiat specify C2 which is a European standard and we left them with Brexit
(remember the lies about the EU regulating the shape of bananas etc)
UK was to have its own standards and inspections, which of course would be hideously complicated and expensive.
So, as far as I can ascertain, that seems to have been quietly shelved in favour of retaining EU specs, but they won't say so out of embarrassment
(If we comply with EU standards every time the EU updates its standards its effectively Brussels dictating to us, just like it was before.)
But who is checking the oil we buy actually complies with EU specs like C2, now that its no longer the job of the EU?
It used to be the job of Council funded Trading Standards - but Trading Standards have practically disappeared with austerity cuts etc
So, if they are not checking, who is?

C2 is an ACEA specification. ACEA is a car manufacturers organisation i.e not the same as EU. So maybe Brexit hasn’t changed so much in this respect? An e.g. Shell oil meeting C2 specs sold in Germany should be identical to an oil sold in UK with the same label, I guess?

Who was checking before Brexit?
According to the chair of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute, (who have half as many inspectors as a decade ago). the UK is becoming “the dustbin of Europe”..... the UK “no longer shares intel” with the 27 EU countries about dangerous chemicals and products. At the ports, there are now few TSOs, she says, with Border Force under pressure to get things through ports quickly.

Thats a very brave admission for someone in her position, leaving her open to the accusation she is not doing her job. So I can't imagine her saying that if it wasn't true.

So before Brexit, 27 other countries who are checking were sharing their info with us. Not any more.

On top of that there is ambiguity whether European standards still apply here. If they do it would be politically embarrassing to say so because its effectively Brussels still 'dictating' to us. Which makes another excuse for sellers in the extremely unlikely event they were discovered selling oil that doesn't comply with European standards.

So if sellers have got a dodgy batch, where are they going to sell it?

Thats why I am asking who is checking our engine oil now?

Last edited:
Several independent labs are available to check oil samples including new/used engine oils , heavy equipment users routinely send samples from Cats and other equipment ,to check on wear in there heavy plant engines and transmissions ..you just have not looked if you are that worried ..!!

Yes I know because we sent our lorry engine oil to be analysed. So we were able to extend oil change intervals and get an idea of how worn the engines were so we could bring them in for a rebuild before they caused an expensive breakdown. So I don't expect suppliers would be offloading bad batches of oil to any firm who is likely to have it checked. Just selling it to general public like the other substandard crap in the article.
In any case the checks were only of used oil to check for contaminants. There was no check of new oil to check it meets the European specs printed on retail cans.
I still don't know who is checking that.

Back