Technical Engine block and cylinder head versions.

Currently reading:
Technical Engine block and cylinder head versions.

eiger

Hi everyone.
Does anyone know about F1CE0481D engine has multiple versions within it?
I’m working on overhauling my 2008 ducato 1.6 multi jet engine and encountered the weird situation. My cylinder head and my block has a narrow coolant path next to No1 cylinder as you see in photo. But as I try to find the brand new cylinder head, all of them doesn’t have that cavity path next to No1 cylinder even parts number muches.
Anyone have any idea on this??

Attachments

• IMG_5047.jpeg
    IMG_5047.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6445.jpeg
    IMG_6445.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi everyone.
Does anyone know about F1CE0481D engine has multiple versions within it?
I’m working on overhauling my 2008 ducato 1.6 multi jet engine and encountered the weird situation. My cylinder head and my block has a narrow coolant path next to No1 cylinder as you see in photo. But as I try to find the brand new cylinder head, all of them doesn’t have that cavity path next to No1 cylinder even parts number muches.
Anyone have any idea on this??
I am assuming the "1.6" bit was an error as my listing in AutoData Manual for 2012 gives 3. litre .
I see there is several incarnations A,B,C,D,F etc. and understand the engine was used in several other makes such as Iveco Daily which is RWD and I know from in the past working on the older 2.8 Sofim engine used in Iveco Daily, Renaults, Citroens and also Ducato there was slight subtle differences, sometime related to where water pump and engine mounts were positioned.:)
Others here may have more specific advice.

Attachments

• DSCF1232.JPG
    DSCF1232.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF1233.JPG
    DSCF1233.JPG
    456 KB · Views: 10
I am assuming the "1.6" bit was an error as my listing in AutoData Manual for 2012 gives 3. litre .
I see there is several incarnations A,B,C,D,F etc. and understand the engine was used in several other makes such as Iveco Daily which is RWD and I know from in the past working on the older 2.8 Sofim engine used in Iveco Daily, Renaults, Citroens and also Ducato there was slight subtle differences, sometime related to where water pump and engine mounts were positioned.:)
Others here may have more specific advice.

Thank you for your infos. My engine is specifically D version of F1CE. Look at the picture.
Mine doesn’t have coolant cavity at red circled part . I have never even F1CE0481D engine block like this. Do you know what is going on??

View attachment 440036
Here is my block photo.
Thank you, I did look at the pictures and noted what you had said.
It does help seeing the photo of the block now.
As I said previously the basic engine design was used on several different vehicle platforms, some in rear wheel drive format, I don't know specifically about your engine, but I know for a fact on the early SOHC versions there was several different versions.
Do you know the vehicle history from new, is it possible your engine had been changed in the past, are the engine numbers on the cylinder block matching your vehicles documention.
With the photos I sent I was trying to show that the similar basic engine was used in several different formats and vehicle makes and in which case the basic design may have been altered.
Have you checked with the head gaskets on offer? In the past I have seen gaskets that blank over certain cooling areas as deemed unnecessary on some makes of engine. What was the old gasket doing, did it blank or was it open?:)

Thank you, I did look at the pictures and noted what you had said.
It does help seeing the photo of the block now.
As I said previously the basic engine design was used on several different vehicle platforms, some in rear wheel drive format, I don't know specifically about your engine, but I know for a fact on the early SOHC versions there was several different versions.
Do you know the vehicle history from new, is it possible your engine had been changed in the past, are the engine numbers on the cylinder block matching your vehicles documention.
With the photos I sent I was trying to show that the similar basic engine was used in several different formats and vehicle makes and in which case the basic design may have been altered.
Have you checked with the head gaskets on offer? In the past I have seen gaskets that blank over certain cooling areas as deemed unnecessary on some makes of engine. What was the old gasket doing, did it blank or was it open?:)
Problem solved. It’s a huge shame on me. It was a gusset its self. I remove it and there is a cooling cavity. I wasn’t expecting such a way to bring the coolant from block to cylinder head.
Anyway now I can work on find the right brand new cylinder head and gusket.
Thank you for your cooperation!!!

Attachments

• 73209496968__A3141E40-E83E-4482-A4EB-9AE27A83DC1D.jpeg
    73209496968__A3141E40-E83E-4482-A4EB-9AE27A83DC1D.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 14
Back