Technical engin idles after key removed

Currently reading:
Technical engin idles after key removed

ric1983

started the stilo 1.6 04 today to see an engine fault. When i stoped and removed the key the engin carried on running breifly before stopping. Any one have any idears?

started the stilo 1.6 04 today to see an engine fault. When i stoped and removed the key the engin carried on running breifly before stopping. Any one have any idears?

"running on" can be caused by heavy coke / carbon build up inside the combustion chambers, pretty rare these days I think. The carbon glows red hot and enables the motor to run on for a while without a spark at the spark plug. Over advanced ignition can also cause this, but again since the advent of ECU's and all the engine monitoring sensors this has become very rare, however as the Engine Management threw up an error maybe that is where you should start looking, maybe a test on a Fiat Examiner at a Dealers?

Last edited:
Filling an engine with too much oil might make it run on it... 10 years since I heard about the last incident though - and that was an old Peugeot. M.

If the engine just keeps on running as if nothing has happened when you turn the key off and remove the key then it's something quite different. That's electrical, it's not nice and it's often expensive

Re: engine idles after key removed

Decks playing Death again

images

Last edited:

Sorry - not got a solution but would like to know if there is one. My JTD 115 has done this 3 times now. I think I have manged to identify the cause - if you turn the key back and remove it from the barrel really quickly you can usually leave the engine running. Not to be encouraged though as it seems an expensive fix if it does go t*ts up one day and does it all the time.

i do belive it to be water in the fuse box as it was raining when it happened and now it is fine only did it for about 5 mins the fault has cleared and i have had no problems since i will have to keep an eye on it

Back