Technical Emission Check

Currently reading:
Technical Emission Check

Cookecarey

My dealer, Bristol Street Motors has offered me an Emission Service Check as an 'extra' to my MJ's 12000 service next week....to 'check and correct' any 'excessive fuel consumption or emission levels'... I normally get over 65 mpg.....my initial anwser was "Seems OK, so no thanks",.... taking the line that if it ain't broke, dont fix it.
Does anyone have any experience of this Emission Service Check... what it entails, and if any improvement gained was worth the (currently unspecified) extra cost?

It will probably just be a probe they stick on the exhaust like they do when they do MOTs. I wouldn't bother it, just an excuse to try and sell you extras you don't need.

If you're getting 65mpg there is clearly no problem.

Yep, probe up the pipe jobbie and it takes all of a handful of minutes, run engine, run analyser, read off results. How much are they charging? And, again showing my age, checking emissions etc used to be a normal part of all servicing when carburetters needed manual adjustment. Seeing as it's all done by pixies, gnomes and the ECU, I'd not bother paying the robbing so and so's, so I wouldn't ;)

Back