Technical Drive belt tensioner challenge

Currently reading:
Technical Drive belt tensioner challenge

david777

I have a 2006 Punto 1.3 Multijet diesel. I am due to change the drive belt and the manual just says to attach a spanner to the tensioner and turn anticlockwise to loosen the belt. I am assuming that this means the whole tensioner and not the nut in the middle and that some special tool is needed to do it, as just undoing the bolt in the middle does nothing. Any one with experience on this? Thanks:)

Thanks. I guess my tensioner may be stuck or something, as I took the bolt right off and the tensioner did not move at all, even when I wacked it a bit. I'll have another look at it. Maybe I need a new tensioner

Don't the tensioners normally turn the other way to release the tension? Try and do it up?
I don't know what the manual says though.

On my old corsa it was put a spanner on the bolt and act as though tightening up and would release the tension.

Yep, worth a try. The manual says 'anticlockwise' but when you do this it just undoes the bolt without releasing the tensioner. Doing a search on other tensioners, it seems like clockwise is pretty common. Worth a try anyway. I will certainly post back if it works!

My official electronic fiat manual says "ANTICLOCKWISE" for loosening the drive belt tensioner. Well, I changed to drive belt a couple of days ago and can testify that this manual is wrong and it is actually CLOCKWISE to loosen this tensioner. I hope no-one else has the hassle I did finding this out!

There are two bolts on the tensioner. One in the middle of te pulley that and one that connects the tensioner arm to the engine. You use the former to pull some slack for the belt and simultaneously flick the belt off.
the latter you should leave alone until the belt is off.

Don't the tensioners normally turn the other way to release the tension? Try and do it up?
I don't know what the manual says though.

On my old corsa it was put a spanner on the bolt and act as though tightening up and would release the tension.

This is the right procedure you can see a hole in both the tensioner housing and the moving part where you can stick a metal pin (4 or 5mm thickness) when both holes are aligned.
This will keep the tensioner in a released position and you can replace the belt.
The other bolt is to dismount the whole spanner from the motorblock. That is only needed when you also want to replace the tensioner.

Last edited:
I am confused now
Are we talking about distribution belt tensioner or the multibelt tensioner (for airco and alternator)
I explained the procedure for the latter.

I am confused now
Are we talking about distribution belt tensioner or the multibelt tensioner (for airco and alternator)
I explained the procedure for the latter.

MJ has a drive chain for the valvetrain ;)

I dont think there was any mention of valvetrain above..
timing:distribution should be a quite different method of tensioning

No major updates..yet

Went out.. located the part

It has a 15mm Hex.

Cant drive a 15mm socket in there (57 plate gp mj ) too tight to inner wing : steel panel

So will return with a 15mm ring spanner

I recall doing a 307hdi.. needed LOTS of leverage ( linked spanners.. at the roadside)

My marea Jtd I raised car and used a breaker bar and socket

Ok..

Got 10 minutes..

The aim here was to remove the belt.. and see if the chirpy: chuff noise was still present.
Silence.. AND no charge warning light ( a bit odd that one..)

Ok.. the task itself :

Locate the tensioner..
On the 1248mj it is almost directly beneath the engine mount.. so you have to 'feel' the 15mm spanner onto the bolt head

With the spanner in position.. and you leaning over the headlight
PULL the spanner towards you..
Get a feel for this tension.. as you need to apply this force AND slip off the belt

I slipped the belt off the alternator..
Its a little crowded.. but that it where you are already leaning

The 15mm headed bolt is the axle for the tensioner roller (smooth faced..runs on the back of the belt) turn it CCW and it will come undone..!!

I took a pic of the text on the belt.. 2 reasons:

An ancient belt will usually lose its print.. this was legible

Its an aftermarket Dayco belt.. so probably 5..or 6 years old now

Number will be useful at service time

This car is a 2007.. my 2008 has a new looking FIAT branded belt

Attachments

• 20201118_104711.jpg
    20201118_104711.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20201118_104631.jpg
    20201118_104631.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 16