Technical Diesel leak on cold startup.

Currently reading:
Technical Diesel leak on cold startup.

Russgut

Hi, I have a 2005 Doblo 1.3 multijet camper van and when starting from cold it will drop an eggcup full of diesel on the ground under the engine. I have done a quick investigation and it looks like it is coming from somewhere around the fuel pump area.
Is this a common problem?
Could it just be a split pipe or maybe a symptom of a bigger problem?
Any help would be appreciated or tips on how to trace a diesel leak.
Thanks.

It may be worth taking the plastic cover off the top of the engine and just checking none of the return pipes from the injectors are leaking.
Generally if it was on the high pressure side I doubt if the engine would start.
If you suspect it is around the pump , maybe try putting a bit of A4 paper under that area to pin point it.
Daughter had an 06 Grande Punto with that engine, no problems like yours, but sealing the injectors in the head was an ongoing issue as they use one small bolt to hold down two injectors.

It may be worth taking the plastic cover off the top of the engine and just checking none of the return pipes from the injectors are leaking.
Generally if it was on the high pressure side I doubt if the engine would start.
If you suspect it is around the pump , maybe try putting a bit of A4 paper under that area to pin point it.
Daughter had an 06 Grande Punto with that engine, no problems like yours, but sealing the injectors in the head was an ongoing issue as they use one small bolt to hold down two injectors.
Thanks for your reply Bugsymike, I’ll have a look into it this weekend.

Hi, I have a 2005 Doblo 1.3 multijet camper van

starting from cold it will drop an eggcup full of diesel on the ground under the engine. I have done a quick investigation and it looks like it is coming from somewhere around the fuel pump area.
Is this a common problem?
Could it just be a split pipe or maybe a symptom of a bigger problem?
Any help would be appreciated or tips on how to trace a diesel leak.
Thanks.

Hi,

I've owned 3 of these engines, all get a bit meesy (oily) over time

But.. I Think a fuel leak is highly unusual

It's NOT something I've needed to work with..

Why only on Start. Up..? That is what puzzles me..

There Is an active thread regarding fuel pump service items,

@Matt Quinn 🙂

That could potentially help in your investigation

Back