Tuning Diesel Express Tuning Box on a 2004 Ducato 2.8jtd

Currently reading:
Tuning Diesel Express Tuning Box on a 2004 Ducato 2.8jtd

archemedes

There was a diesel Express tuning box already fitted to our 2004 Hymer/ Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD motorhome when we bought it, but the previous owner had misplaced the fitting and setting up instructions.
Sadly the poor guy passed away before he could find the paperwork, so I'm now left high and dry with a unit fitted to the engine that I do not know how to set up or remove.
I would be very grateful if any other Ducato 2.8 owners who have one of these boxes fitted could please send me any info they have.
Thanks a million in advance.

There was a diesel Express tuning box already fitted to our 2004 Hymer/ Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD motorhome when we bought it, but the previous owner had misplaced the fitting and setting up instructions.
Sadly the poor guy passed away before he could find the paperwork, so I'm now left high and dry with a unit fitted to the engine that I do not know how to set up or remove.
I would be very grateful if any other Ducato 2.8 owners who have one of these boxes fitted could please send me any info they have.
Thanks a million in advance.

Most tuning boxes are just plugged in line with the rail pressure sensor to fool the ecu into increasing the rail pressure. So usually just disconnect the factory connector from the box, connect it to the rail pressure sensor.

Most tuning boxes are just plugged in line with the rail pressure sensor to fool the ecu into increasing the rail pressure. So usually just disconnect the factory connector from the box, connect it to the rail pressure sensor.
Thanks for your reply.
It would be helpful if before I give up and remove the unit I can try to set it up correctly.
There is a bank of dip switches inside the box which I believe alter the characteristics of the tuning box, but because I have no instructions I have no way of knowing what it is set to now or how to alter it.
I did email Diesel Express to try and get their help, but so far I have not received a reply, so I thought I would try to find someone on the forum who might some information about the setting up instructions.

I'm with Corcai on this. Ditch the box altogether, all it does is fool the ecu by dumping more fuel into the engine, really not a good idea. Most tend to go for a remap if they want to extract more oomph.

If it is like the Tunit box on my last van (with 2.8JTD), the 'jumpers' for different output power each give around an extra 4 or 5 BHP. If it is running OK, I would just leave it where it is. If you are worried, put it at the midway point.

Ignore the moaning minnies and their putting down of these boxes. Mine was a big Tag axle van with MAM of 5 Ton. I had it for 5 years without any trouble. The Clutch was fine (the weak point on Fiat Ducatos) and the extra power made it much more comfortable to drive. I removed mine to send it back to Tunit for a technical upgrade (free of charge even though it was an old one) and noticed a marked difference without it. I couldn't wait to refit it.

Not a case of moaning minnies as you put it. The OP asked a question & there always be different views/answers. As said most boxes just dump extra fuel into the engine causing black smoke. Some are happy with a so called tuning box & others will go down the route of a remap if looking for more go. Just giving a point of view like others on here.

Not a case of moaning minnies as you put it. The OP asked a question & there always be different views/answers. As said most boxes just dump extra fuel into the engine causing black smoke. Some are happy with a so called tuning box & others will go down the route of a remap if looking for more go. Just giving a point of view like others on here.

Nothing personal in my remarks, I was just getting the first one on. :D

Normally I never get involved in these threads as I have been on the receiving end of a lot of stick for merely saying I had no problems and it brought an improvement. In this case it is a newbie asking and he had already had 2 posts disparaging tuning boxes when he had asked for instructions and some help. Other members gave their personal point of view instead of reading the question. I had hoped my views would allay his fears.

As for black smoke being produced, I think that is either down to the box being maxxed out or a poor driver. Remaps done badly also produce black smoke on acceleration.

No offence intended but I will stay out of these threads in future. (y)

This is probably the main problem with forums/social media sites in general. Some people tend to take things too personally, for me I tend to take a holistic view of things & I certainly would not want to change anyones ideas that they are rooted to. I suspect you are considerably younger than myself, & I don't want to sound patronising but the younger the forum user, the more things can be viewed a tad too seriously.

For instance, I've never posted up pictures of my vehicles on here because I'm not interested what others think...simple as that, I've witnessed some post up pictures of their chosen vehicle & ask what ya think of the slammed beast & receive mixed views both good & not so good & all hell lets loose. ;) I could say more about your take on some remaps, but there's no point. :) I certainly have not taken any offence. I'm on holiday at the moment & possibly on here too much, but hey that's another story as they say.

This is probably the main problem with forums/social media sites in general. Some people tend to take things too personally, for me I tend to take a holistic view of things & I certainly would not want to change anyones ideas that they are rooted to. I suspect you are considerably younger than myself, & I don't want to sound patronising but the younger the forum user, the more things can be viewed a tad too seriously.

For instance, I've never posted up pictures of my vehicles on here because I'm not interested what others think...simple as that, I've witnessed some post up pictures of their chosen vehicle & ask what ya think of the slammed beast & receive mixed views both good & not so good & all hell lets loose. ;) I could say more about your take on some remaps, but there's no point. :) I certainly have not taken any offence. I'm on holiday at the moment & possibly on here too much, but hey that's another story as they say.

I agree with your view of forums Jim, how 2 dimensional they can be leading to misleading opinions on other users. I doubt you are older than I am as I am retired after a lifetime working in Mechanical Engineering (Maintenance, Installation and Construction) often also with vehicle and Mobile Plant and Electrical responsibility. I have not posted a lot on here because I have only had one Fiat Ducato based motorhome but have amassed roughly 18,000 posts on various forums. I now run a Renault Master based motorhome with the 3 litre Nissan engine fitted, so I rarely pop in here nowadays.

It would seem that tuning box posts are similar to Brexit posts, you are either for or against and no amount of arguments will change anyones opinion.

So we will leave it there and I hope you have a Merry Xmas.

Ah Maingate, it just goes to show lost in translation. I appreciate your feedback. I'm semi retired myself, but I still like to have a wee look at the forum now & again. Have a good one yourself.....:)

Back