DSC09035.JPG

500 (Classic) Dexter the 1962 Fiat 500D

Introduction

Welcome to my blog for my 1962 Fiat 500D.

I had already started a blog although I wasn't able to change the title and thought it would be best to start a new one with a more descriptive title for others to search and hopefully aid them in their own restoration.

I have split it into 2 sections. This part will be the main vehicle.
The other part will be the engine of which you can find here:
https://www.fiatforum.com/500-classic/444739-fiat-500d-engine-1962-a.html

I took ownership of this 500 in April 2014. This was just after I bought my first restoration project, a 1971 Fiat 500L.
https://www.fiatforum.com/500-classic/345169-franko-1971-500l.html
Sadly I was too far into the L to stop and so the D had to be tucked away until I had the time to start it.
I eventually decided to call him Dexter.

Here' some photos of the vehicle when it was first offered to me. It was at the time on the back of a trailer in southern Italy.
I confirmed I was interested in it, but really wanted to see it before being fully committed. Although I did have a certain forum member that was like the devil on my shoulder saying "Buy it"
devil.gif
I have run into a bit of a problem.
I was about to order a whole load of parts when I thought I should check the difference between the N/D steering rods and the later ones.
They are the same length however the tapers are different.
The later ones have tapers on the joints from 10mm to 13mm.
The early ones have tapers from 10mm to 11.4mm.

What have I got?
My arms on the steering box and idler arm are 11.4mm original D.
My hubs have been changed at sometime I think because they have the later 13mm holes.

So my options:
1. change my hubs to early ones - might be hard to find and I have refurbished my ones.
2. change the arms on the steering box and idler - does anyone know if they are the same joint on the steering box?
Does anyone have any spare later ones?
3. Can I use the early D arms but just fit the later outer joints?

Any suggestions please?

Sean, There was a thread entitled ‘Kingpin refurb for my 1963 500 D’ where I discussed with Hamilto2 regarding this very subject and a suggestion was made as to possibility of bushing the arm. Might this help?

I think that will be quite involved.
Also not sure how strong it will be.

I am thinking its best to use the D middle bar with small joints.
Then use the D inner joints as these will fit the steering and idler arms.
Then use later outer joints. As long as the tubes are the same they will clamp the 2 arms together.

I tried looking for tapered drills, but can only find reamers.
This could take some time to ream the smaller joints to fit the larger tapers.
I don't think my local machine shop will be open otherwise I could get them to do it.

I have run into a bit of a problem.
I was about to order a whole load of parts when I thought I should check the difference between the N/D steering rods and the later ones.
They are the same length however the tapers are different.
The later ones have tapers on the joints from 10mm to 13mm.
The early ones have tapers from 10mm to 11.4mm.

What have I got?
My arms on the steering box and idler arm are 11.4mm original D.
My hubs have been changed at sometime I think because they have the later 13mm holes.

So my options:
1. change my hubs to early ones - might be hard to find and I have refurbished my ones.
2. change the arms on the steering box and idler - does anyone know if they are the same joint on the steering box?

Does anyone have any spare later ones?
3. Can I use the early D arms but just fit the later outer joints?

Any suggestions please?

Hi
Mine may be different again as they don’t have the black rubber dust covers they have like a foam creamy hulla hoop looking thing but wait for it.......... yep it is a N :)

Hi
Mine may be different again as they don’t have the black rubber dust covers they have like a foam creamy hulla hoop looking thing but wait for it.......... yep it is a N :)

They should be the same as a D.
I think the original ones had that white cover, but they eventually upgraded to rubber.
I have decided to upgrade my steering box and idler arms to the later type and use the stronger more robust later steering rods and joints.
It may not be original, but I think it will be better.
Its a lot easier than trying to find some original 500D kingpins.

Rear hub rebuild:
My original rear hubs were the late D ones.
These have the 20 spline shafts but the rear housings have a larger diameter seal to the later hubs.
One of the housings had been got at and outer bearing case was loose.
Also the shafts were badly worn - probably due to the damaged hub.
I found some later F/L replacements.
All been blasted and repainted.
Fitted new bearings and seals.

Attachments

• IMG_9275.JPG
    IMG_9275.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9278.JPG
    IMG_9278.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9280.JPG
    IMG_9280.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9286.JPG
    IMG_9286.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9287.JPG
    IMG_9287.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 57
additional images of the difference between early and late models.
Real early models had 6 spline shafts.
From what I understand these were from the earlier Fiat 500 topolino.
They only has 3 bolts holding the flanges on.
They then moved to a 6 spline, 4 bolt version.
Mine has the 20 spline 4 bolt version which are replaced for a whopping 200 euros:eek:
Happily mine appear to be okay.
The flexi joints are a smaller diameter on the early models and the space in the arms are also smaller than late ones.
The later flexi joints are larger and have a security tab fitted to prevent the joint from falling apart in the event of failure and stopping the driveshaft from causing major damage.
These safety tabs don't fit the early ones.
The early shafts were fitted with smaller castle nuts, although the later larger ones do fit but that might be because I have new joints.
Later models went over to the larger nut which was secured by being peened over.

Attachments

• IMG_9285.JPG
    IMG_9285.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9284.JPG
    IMG_9284.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9281.JPG
    IMG_9281.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 54
Old and new!:D

One thing I found out after I built my rear hub and brakes together was that the D bearing housing goes on first, then the brake back plate.
Unlike the L where the back plate goes on first.
I soon found this out as my brake drum wouldn't fit on!
They probably decided to change it as it keeps the parts enclosed and reduces dirt and corrosion.

Attachments

• IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9294.JPG
    IMG_9294.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9292.JPG
    IMG_9292.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9301.JPG
    IMG_9301.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9299.JPG
    IMG_9299.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
Another solution to the coupling problem.....
you take a BIG hammer and beat the wishbones....
done correctly you can open them up so the larger couplings and outer shafts fit.

This does seem to be a popular cost saving modification...

:D:D:D

After getting some new parts delivered including the other 2 coil spring rubber rings, I finally got to fit the right hand rear suspension.
All was going great until I came to fit the handbrake cable. It didn't matter what I did the cable was not going to fit. It was just too short.
I left it until this morning and looked at a few old photos.
It turns out that I had assembled the hubs incorrectly.
When I first put them together I couldn't get the drum on properly. I thought it was because I had put the disc plate on first and then the hub.
As it turns out I had put the hub on the wrong way.
The correct order is the back plate then the hub, but the longer section goes into the swinging arm and the short section stick out into the drum side.
This reduced the distance from the cable mount on the swinging arm by 10mm per side.
Once both sides were rebuilt again I still couldn't get the cable to fit.
I ended up undoing the connectors to the brake lever arms and then pulling the handbrake forward enough to get the bolts in. Then I could just about pull the cable and push the levers forward enough to get the cable back on.
Its very tight. With everything at its minimum adjustment the hubs just about turn by hand. If I pull the brake lever with all my might I just get 3 clicks.
So im leaving the brake lever pulled up for a few days in hope it might stretch slightly.

Attachments

• IMG_9350.JPG
    IMG_9350.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9347.JPG
    IMG_9347.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9348.JPG
    IMG_9348.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9349.JPG
    IMG_9349.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9344.JPG
    IMG_9344.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
My front brakes caused me some issues as well.
When I came to fit the bearings in the front drums I had a problem with the seal. It was too small.
Turns out I have the earlier N/D series 1 drums and the front seal is 45mm outside diameter instead of 43mm.

Attachments

• IMG_9321.JPG
    IMG_9321.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 47
My handbrake is adjusted for 3 clicks---on a 500L. The less clicks that you can get away with (I do accept 3 is the minimum), the better brake pedal you can have as the rear springs can't pull the shoes too far back off the drum

My front brakes caused me some issues as well.
When I came to fit the bearings in the front drums I had a problem with the seal. It was too small.
Turns out I have the earlier N/D series 1 drums and the front seal is 45mm outside diameter instead of 43mm.

I’m sure i would of been have these problems but hopefully after reading this I should be ok . Your a top bloke Sean cheers mate :slayer::worship:

My handbrake is adjusted for 3 clicks---on a 500L. The less clicks that you can get away with (I do accept 3 is the minimum), the better brake pedal you can have as the rear springs can't pull the shoes too far back off the drum

That might work on cars which have a ratchet-type self-adjuster in the handbrake mechanism but if you rely on that method on the 500 at least one of the brake shoes will be constantly catching on the drum. I think the actuating levers are meant to be "floating" in the backplate and in operation, one shoe is pushed against the drum before the other is then levered into contact. If the self-adjusters are working properly it shouldn't be necessary to force them in this way and the handbrake benefits from the same self-adjusting as the footbrake.....over 30,000 miles on the same rear brake-shoes with only one handbrake adjustment required so far. :)

Maybe I have just been lucky Peter---but at '3 clicks' both my rear wheels spin Ok and I have never had a brake-shoe wear problem. But, each to what he is comfortable with.

Maybe I have just been lucky Peter---but at '3 clicks' both my rear wheels spin Ok and I have never had a brake-shoe wear problem. But, each to what he is comfortable with.
Your click count sounds good Tom ......same as my own. ;) That proves that what you first said is right; I don't know why Fiat even bothered with those brake adjusters. ;)

Back