Technical Clutch slave cylinder

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch slave cylinder

Rogereld

Occasionally, after 1/2 hour or more driving, in dry weather and when the engine is thoroughly warmed up, the clutch pedal makes "creaky" noises and becomes sticky, making hill starts and clutch control in traffic queues difficult. I am fairly certain this is a common panda problem usually solved by replacing the clutch slave cylinder.

I seem to be out of luck with LUK at the moment. the LUK slave cylinder for a 2010 Panda 100hp (512 0045 10) is out of stock everywhere. I phoned the UK distributor and was told supply has been a problem for months and may not be much better for several weeks. Other manufacturers compatible items are also out of stock. Internet searches sometimes look promising but when I actually try to order the stock is not available.

Has anyone had any success with temporary maintenance of the slave cylinder piston? Grease, oil or WD40 etc?

Shead loads of slave cylinder for sale in stock used in a lot of vehicles such as ford ka mk,2 and 500 as with all fiat parts there several different part numbers

Google

46346190 clutch slave

Seems to work well.

Google

46346190 clutch slave

Seems to work well.

Prices for the 46346190 clutch slave are listed online around £130. I have read previous threads that comment on the low price of the slave cylinder as usually being available for £30 or less. The LUK part number 512 0045 10 comes up as the correct part when I search parts suppliers using the vehicle reg number. It has a price of £30-40 but currently out of stock.

If I can temporarily solve the problem with a bit of grease I prefer to wait rather than pay £130 now for a part I could get for £30 when it is in stock.

I wouldn't use any other than rubber brake grease though.
The rubber brake grease is for assembling parts that only come into contact with brake fluid but will certainly do the job

Silicon grease is also for rubber but isn't effected as much by moisture, this is what Fiat use. You can see some of the original white silicone grease in the piston groove of the last picture in the link I posted above

£36.66 @ GSF

Yes. I've seen that. When I checked GSF for stock earlier today there was none available. It was after doing my internet research and finding lots of prices but no availability that I phoned Schaeffler UK. They apologised for LUK supply problems that have caused them problems for months which explains why GSF, ECP and others are out of stock.

There's a few around the £30-45.

LuK is mostly out of stock some give a delevery of September

This is the cheapest I could find in stock

Too late already showing out of stock since I first look 1/2h ago

Screenshot_20230727_223213.jpg

LuK is mostly out of stock some give a delevery of September

This is the cheapest I could find in stock

Too late already showing out of stock since I first look 1/2h ago
Part supply chain issues are a nightmare just now. If you need something in a hurry, your options are limited.

Fiat OEM master and slave cylinders are pre-filled with brake fluid. They have to fitted as a pair with a new slave and cost silly money.

If the slave is failing, the master will be just as bad. Search Fiat 500 and Ford Ka. You can get cast body versions for about £60. connections simply plug in. As above the slaves are not expensive.

Creaking at the engine is likely to be the release lever bushes. Lubricate with a thin oil. You will need to remove the push arm to get anything between shaft and bush. It's probably got a master spline but mark it anyway before removal. If it continues to creak it's a warning the clutch is failing. Wear on the friction plate steepens the angle of the pressure spring. Eventually the spring angle becomes too steep, very hard pedal and you can't release the clutch.

Slave cylinder with no BS £42

LuK (not filled) from Lithuania £43 (I have found these suppliers very reliable)

Cast alloy version £60. I have one of these on my car. It's probably better than the steel tube version Fiat originally used.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Slave cylinder with no BS £42

LuK (not filled) from Lithuania £43 (I have found these suppliers very reliable)

Cast alloy version £60. I have one of these on my car. It's probably better than the steel tube version Fiat originally used.
Both slaves are for a Panda 319

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I dont think it matters 500, 319, 169, Ka all use the same clutch hydraulics.
The part numbers are different. Luk list 512 021 10 and 512 045 10. First is listed as not compatible with my car and the second is listed as suitable. I don’t think they would do that if they’re all the same.

I have a Ka/500 master cylinder on our 1.2 Panda. Its a direct swap made from last alloy rather than fabricated steel. A better product IMO.

The part numbers are different. Luk list 512 021 10 and 512 045 10. First is listed as not compatible with my car and the second is listed as suitable. I don’t think they would do that if they’re all the same.
Correct 512 045 10 is the right number it does fit the 169 panda, some 500, and ford ka mk2

The other is for the .9L 500

Have you taken the rubber boot of and stuffed some grease down to get you by, has it improved

LuK manufacturing problems has certainly put pressure on the rest of the supply network and driving the price up. The link I posted above had 2 in stock which were gone within 1/2H 😔

Have you taken the rubber boot of and stuffed some grease down to get you by, has it improved
Since starting this thread there has not been much hot dry weather where we live, and I have not made any long journeys in the car so the intermittent problem has not recurred. I'm away from home this week and not using the panda but when I return I will get some grease in to the slave piston and see what happens.

I find it very helpful when the solution to a problem is shared by forum users so I will try to keep updating if I make any progress. This one may take a few weeks to reach a conclusion.

Back